1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers salary cap problems 2014

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 7, 2013.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    But there is guaranteed money and that DOES hit the cap doesn't it?

2. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

yes, but not much. most contracts are back loaded so that teams can have flexibility when players are getting old. the largest salary payouts are always in the end years. there aren't too many steelers that got such massive signing bonus's, or such short contracts that it would be more than a million or two. for example, cutting someone like troy would force them to eat 2 or 3 million in signing bonus, but they'd probably save 5-7 million in salary. but they also save millions in roster bonus's, performance bonus's, and whatever other payouts are in their contracts

3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Woodley before Timmons if it actually becomes a real scenario.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there is some trade value there between the two. would you trade Woodley or Timmons for a good vet LT? a lot depends on if DLB stays and we keep the same defense too I guess.:cool:

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I think I would trade Timmons before Woodley just because Woodley has more of a knack for getting to the qb but we are hurting if we have to get rid of either really. I would trade Timmons for an LT though.

6. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    how is this a problem?... we cant win with these guys .. i mean we go, as i said in the beginning of the season 5-11..we go 5-11 this year.. .. so who cares if we lose half the guys mentioned... we can win 5 games with or without half of these guys... its not like we are trying ot keep a super bowl contender team .. we are looking at a team with 2 wins..

HINES

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Which of those guys would you cut? I'm sure you'd keep Ben and AB right? So which of the remaining ones would you cut?

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    As legendary frontman John Redcorn would say "there's a hole in my pocket where my money should go!"

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I would keep Troy and Cotchery for another year.

Woodley is a salary cap nightmare. Has done nothing but decline since that over bloated contract. I would jet him out if I could, trade him for a song.

This team needs to dump salary. Always over the cap and after mortgaging the future to get under it they are still pressed up against it. Time for a few lean years, stock up and make another run. I can wait. Changes need to be made in the coaching ranks as well. LeBeau needs to get on with his life's work. And I also believe that Haley is a bad fit. Tomlin will stay for the rebuilding, and if results are not going in a positive direction, he should be replaced.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree about cotchery. we need a vet to teach next year at safety. not necessarily start. who would teach the most, troy or clark? that's the way i'm looking at it.

as I've said before, the rooney's will have to make a decision of which way they want to go with this rebuild, remodel, retool whatever they want to call it. if we bring in a new OC next year, it will take two years to run smoothly. if we have the right people in place and not a bunch of injuries to slow it. we are into ben's last contractual year by that time. same with the defense and all of them two years older. pick your poison.

I do agree about MT. they will let him oversee the rebuild to an extent, and I think Colbert is on that leash too. we most likely will lose omar soon. i'm not to sure I wouldn't want him as my new GM.:cool:

11. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Because, by contrast, they are now?