1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers salary cap problems 2014

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 7, 2013.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I was talking more about extending him at the end of this year. he's signed through 2015. we have two more draft classes with him under contract. wait and see another year before we make that call. or even two. he then will be 34 going into his additional season. let's see where he's at after two and a half more seasons beat up and older. why dig ourselves in deeper if we don't have to? :cool:

2. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I don't see how we're screwed?? Last year we the Steelers won 8 games. This year they'll be lucky to win 6. Other than filling out the team, I don't think we would be screwed if the whole dang team left and we started over with scrubs. I would bet we could get a team off the free agent scrap heap that cold win 6 games. if they don't take cuts.....let'm go.

3. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I'm not suggesting they should, but if they did, perhaps they'd fall all the way to the #1 pick and nab Jameis Winston as the first overall pick in 2015.

That strategy worked ok so far for Indi. (And IMHO, Winston will be better than Luck.)

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if i would be sure than winston is even better than luck , that strategy would be perfect , in the process we would have been in position to draft several high rounds picks to rebuild

5. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Pretty hard to triangulate your whole organization and make it work out that way. The Colts were very very lucky they had the chance to draft Luck. They also were bold in getting rid of a lot of expensive players so they could rebuild the team.

I doubt the Rooney's, coaches, or fan base is going to be willing to go into next season with the mind set of throwing it down the toilet so they can line themselves up for Winston. Heck I am sure next August if we are all still checking out this board that plenty of people will be saying "I think the Steelers have cleaned things up, they are ready for another SB run - regardless of what happens in the off season or with the draft.

6. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah, the Colts didn't plan it out that way. If Peyton's neck wouldn't have been an issue in 2011, Luck would be a Redskin now and RG3 would probably be a Clown.

7. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    their salary cap is a mess and the bad thing is that the young guys arent very good so they have had to hold on or restructure a lot of bad contracts of older guys that are on the downside of their careers.

they havent drafted well the last few seasons so they just dont have guys to replace the vets that are making a ton of money. it seems like they got bad overnight, but this has been coming for about 3 seasons now.

i know they made the playoffs 2 seasons ago, but i think most can admit they werent very good that year and Tebow of all qbs beat them in the playoffs.

now all the restructured contracts have caught up. they dont have a bunch o solid young guys since they havent done a good job in the draft lately and here we are watching a team struggle at 2-6 with no answers and things looking even worse for next season.

if they are gonna stink which they do, than i say put in all the young guys and lets see what they have. i would rather watch them lose with young guys that are fighting for their futures than to watch them lose with old guys that just cant get the job done anymore.

8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I honestly don't know dude. There just are no easy answers. I would like to think we have someone that can step up and I have probably the most optimism for Williams really.

9. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I've read over some of these posts and see some people keep talking about the "old guys" or whatever....and make it sound like theres a ton of them...

Under contract after this year:

Ike - 33
    Troy - 32
    Ben - 31
    Heath - 31
    Gradkowski - 30 (solid backup)
    Suisham - 31 (been good the last 2 yrs)
    Foote - 33 (probably will be cut)

FA's after this year:

Keisel - 35
    Clark - 34
    Plax - 36
    McBriar - 34
    Warren - 32
    W. Allen - 31
    Cotchery - 31
    Whimper - 30

So you have 7 guys on that list who are under contract after this year and are 30+...and yes 4 of those guys take up a good chunk of money.

Are some people calling Woodley (29) and Timmons (27) "old guys"??? Or who/what exactly? Just curious?!

10. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Bold = Players I expect to be gone next season.

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I say there is absolutely no way that Troy is gone next season.

12. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I could agree with all, except Gradkowski...they just brought him in and he's a good backup.

Ike/Troy...I could see taking a pay cut...as they have nobody to replace them yet in reality. Those are going to be the 2 big question marks in the offseason for sure!

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It was a article in one of the Pittsburgh newspapers.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Just out of curiosity why Warren? He is the long snapper his salary doesn't really break the bank, he doesn't see that much playing time, he isn't going to demand anything because he keeps being brought back and doesn't put up a fuss. Can't really say that he sucks at his position or that there is someone out there that is better so why cut ties with him?

15. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I personally don't have a problem with him...though for a bit I was worried when it was i think in back to back years he injured his knee.

I will say though he made a little under 1 mil this year....and being a cash strapped team...theres gotta be a younger option out there that can be cheaper...every penny counts, haha.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need more than this!

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That, and his salary shoots up next year. The odds of his return are extremely slim IMO.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    GP, we also have picked a few of these guys young coming in, so it's not just the physical age, but how many years as starters in the league and the pounding over those years. the wear on the body can multiply quickly for guys after so many years of play in and play out bodily abuse.

we see them every year and don't notice as much as they do slow down. it's gradual to our eye's where someone from the outside would say OMG, they are old and slow. sort of the can't see the forest because of the trees. or as a spouse loses weight is more noticeable to someone that doesn't see them daily.

even for Timmons and Woodley. 7th year in the league at 27 and Woodley at 29. they both were drafted together, have the same amount of years in, but Woodley still has a two year older body, with really a year or two more wear on it. Timmons took a little longer to see the field. he also however makes and takes a lot more hits than Woodley per play. all of this adds up.

it's not losing a step in straight line speed, but also losing that split second reaction time to the play and that step in speed, just multiplies everything they do. :cool:

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Restructuring contracts, and taking pay cuts is how you get old players, that's how we got to where we are.......

20. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Oh i understand the whole..."football years" (as some call it) versus "regular years" and such. But with those 2 I don't see it yet like i do or have with others in the past. I still think each of those 2 can have a number of years left before they hit the wall and such.

21. brassbawls

brassbawls Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Yeah let him walk, that would be BRILLIANT. Maybe we can call Maddox or even better, Leftwich can come back.
    Do you not know or just dont understand what Ben has done for this team over the last ten years?

22. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The only way Ben leaves the Steelers would be for a multiple draft pick scenario. You don't let him walk away as a free agent. He is one of the few that could bring us back high value in draft picks if he were to be traded. I am hoping that he does not get traded unless we get a Herschel Walker type deal in which you can't afford to turn it down. I think it is going to be a real interesting off-season and a lot of people have 8 weeks to prove they belong here next year.

23. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    WOW didn't realize that McBriar was 34, we sure seem to like em older don't we? :facepalm:

24. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    there's nothing apocalyptic at all about it. contracts aren't guaranteed in the NFL, so they can get under the cap easily. it's just a matter of who they cut, who they keep. with the way the team has been playing, Ben's about the only one that's should be off limits. just too hard to find a franchise QB. plus, the next franchise QB will probably cost more to sign than Ben. with every new signing (like Flacco) the price for a franchise QB goes up. Ben will be willing to take a discount so he doesn't have to switch teams this late in his carer.

the salary cap is only a problem when your teams good

25. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Zombieland rule #32 "Enjoy the Little Things" ... We won't have to worry about meeting the minimum salary cap for while. :lolol: