1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers rookies delivered

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pretty good draft. Future is bright for these guys.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    But if we had only drafted DK Metcalf.... sigh.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

IF ONLY IF ONLY!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree though with the take of Daniel. Really love the pick of Devin Bush. Had my doubts up until the 2019 Scouting Combine. Glad he confirmed everything he showed on tape.

For my money, he is easily a Perennial All Pro from this point on barring injury. Assuming that is factored in, he has the potential to be one of all time greats. The talent, skills and potential are there.

Just a matter of avoiding the injury bug. Same goes for Diontae. For that matter, how the team views Diontae could potentially impact the 2020 NFL Draft more so than the current information being presented.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Very good rookie class. Also Buggs looked good in his limited play in the DL rotation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I know his stats don't agree with me, but I'm not sold on Bush yet. I don't mind being wrong about him, in fact I hope I am. But he's got to make a big leap from rookie to year 2 for me to sing his praises. He needs to learn this defense and stop looking lost on half the snaps. Again, I hope he proves me wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bush still has another step to take to be an All-Pro, but I like how he started.

I do wish the Steelers had drafted Metcalf, but he was gone before they picked and I'm never one to assume a team can trade up.

Given who was available, Johnson turned out to be a good pick. I still think he was propped up a bit too much by some on draft day, but clearly he has proven he was worth taking. I think he needs to get stronger. That was a concern in the scouting reports. I think that will help him hold on to the ball better and perhaps allow him to be more durable.

I'm not sure what to think of Snell. I don't think he has the quick burst or straight-ahead speed to be a true primary running back. Can he reshape his body and improve in those areas as Bell once did? Perhaps. He also needs to get better as a receiver.

One key is going to be if Layne can contribute. I know some see this as a sort of redshirt year, but he needs to be ready to help on defense next season.

I still have hope that Gilbert and Buggs can at least be useful part-time players.

I certainly have a better view of the draft than I did in April. This isn't like the previous year, when I was sure the Steelers made a mistake with Edmunds and then he spent that season and the one that followed providing evidence to support my claim.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agree to disagree! :drinks:

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    .... and Darius Leonard the year before.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    And I'm adding Minkah to that list. Not to shabby. I just hope like hell Benny boy can remain in the upper half of NFL QB's. And I wouldn't mind a veteran back-up but that ain't happening. I'm guessing Ben goes down again it's a deer in headlights.

11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast Furnace.

Good Find!

I did not realize how well Bush and Johnson did. It seemed, to me, that Bush kind of tailed off at the end. Kind of “Quiet” it seemed to me the 2nd half of the season. I would like to see a breakdown of his stats of 1st half vs. 2nd half of the season. Either way, great season for him and Johnson.

Another board member posted this about my Bush question: "Bush didn't disappear. He did his job as a run defender the second half of the season. The next step is to make more big plays".

In regards to Johnson, you may have seen me refer to him, JuJu and Washington as my Formidable #2s WRs. I like the skill-set of each and really think that if all three can get on the field at the same time, and healthy, they will have to be “reckoned” with by opposing Ds. I hope Ben gets back to pre-injury form and can make these guys even better.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    :drinks:

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Not a good comparison. Leonard was actually available when the Steelers picked Edmunds. Metcalf was go e when they took Johnson

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You can throw Fitzpatrick in there if you want, but I think it makes more sense to consider him part of the 2020 draft.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

I fully expected to see a thread after Metcalfs 50 yard TD this past weekend.

16. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Real happy with the class. They've had some good success of late after several picks I hated mid-decade.

2020 is already good with MF.

The team is not that far away... just wish I believed the people in charge were capable.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Bush is a bust

coulda got him in the third round

18. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    He wouldn’t have half the yardage that DJ had because none of our QBs could, or were allowed to, throw downfield

19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

:nea:Green Font? I hope you're not serious. He hasn't even scratched the surface. He will prove to be a very intelligent player. We will know for sure by year 3. At least give him a 2nd year before throwing him under the bus.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Is it fair to say his rookie year was better than Shazier's? If he can be something similar to what Shazier was, but healthier, wouldn't that be a win?

21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He wasn't drafted. Draft picks are unknown and its a crap shoot what you get. In MF's case, we knew what we were getting and it cost us more than one draft pick to do it. Glad we did but if we have to rely on other teams picking who we want or should've picked, that can get expensive draft capital wise.

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I hope he is a lot better than Shazier.

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Was I imagining it, or was Buggs always the problem player when we had 12 men on the field?

He has upside, though. Just needs to get on and off the field quicker.

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Making fun of the edmunds 3rd round comment lol

edit: we see he was right though haha. Bush is legit

25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Don't like Bush??