1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers' Redman Targets Repeat of Barry Foster's 1992

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 28, 2012.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd be more then happy with that, minus the injuries of course. Plus, I'm trying to remember but didn't Foster have some off field troubles too? I thought that was what led him to lose his job to Bam Bam. Anyway, if Redman can duplicate Fosters numbers, that would be sweet :herewego:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1198 ... ss-in-2012

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he also had tim lester as the lead blocker. :cool:

3. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I swear I wanted to make this comparison yesterday. I'd take Foster numbers or Bam Morris numbers.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Bettie's had Lester before that it was big John L. Williams.

Williams was good blocker, but also a legit threat to catch out of the backfield.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

Williams was good blocker, but also a legit threat to catch out of the backfield.[/quote:2ym9r4th]
    correct, my bad. :doh:

foster had hoge. bettis had lester for a short time but mostly wittman. :cool:

6. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The point is they all had someone who could hit leading the way.

7. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Williams was good blocker, but also a legit threat to catch out of the backfield.[/quote:1kio2i89]
    this Bettis and Lester were boys Bus brought him over from the Rams used to take him to the ProBowl with him

8. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011

Williams was good blocker, but also a legit threat to catch out of the backfield.[/quote:1kt160hs]

foster had hoge. bettis had lester for a short time but mostly wittman. :cool:[/quote:1kt160hs]
    Bettis had Krider most of the time right?

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Williams was good blocker, but also a legit threat to catch out of the backfield.[/quote:2ynl7o9l]

foster had hoge. bettis had lester for a short time but mostly wittman. :cool:[/quote:2ynl7o9l]
    Bettis had Krider most of the time right?[/quote:2ynl7o9l]
    Kreider from halfway through 2000 through the end of his career, the Super Bowl in February 2006. Witman before that for a couple of years, Lester before that for a couple of years. Bettis got here in 1996 I believe. They were all great lead blockers, although I don't have too many memories of Lester.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

foster had hoge. bettis had lester for a short time but mostly wittman. :cool:[/quote:8u4oq905]
    Bettis had Krider most of the time right?[/quote:8u4oq905]
    Kreider from halfway through 2000 through the end of his career, the Super Bowl in February 2006. Witman before that for a couple of years, Lester before that for a couple of years. Bettis got here in 1996 I believe. They were all great lead blockers, although I don't have too many memories of Lester.[/quote:8u4oq905]

i think lester and john L. were the best of the bunch. lester was not much for catching the ball or running it. he was a flat out lead blocker. i was upset when we got rid of him. he went to dallas for one year after that. john L. could do it all, he was tough at seattle and here. hoge could do it all. wittman could do it all too,but he was kinda tall for the spot. :cool:

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Redman will have exactly such a year if he stays healthy...As far as the lead blocker stuff goes this is where Haley and the new scheme will make up the difference .....1 of the Johnson boys will make the roster and I think Haley will use them as the fill guys...

Most Traps and Counters allow the FB to go 1 way and seal that Gap so the pullers can pull and get out front in the Gap system,this is the beauty of the Gap sytem you can block it like man or zone....When we ran the Zone blocking it was usually from a 1 RB set and when we did use the FB he usually lead the play and took the D to the RB...

IMO Haley will try and use the FB as a D stretcher after the seal block or if the OG is uncovered,it is common to leak them out into the flats opposite of the running play,this is where the PA game makes the whole thing work....A few passes in the flats slows the LB flow and keeps the Safety from cheating.... This is that triangle stuff that I talk about...With the FB in the flat the TE in the seam, Curl or smash route and the WR running a 15 yard stop or in route...The big play usually comes from the run side where the WR OR TE runs a Deep post behind these other routes...

I think people will Love this system it is a HS system ,but is very effective and unpredictable....The object of the system is to keep the D guessing and even when they guess right to create mismatches like Wallace on a Safety or Miller on a smaller CB.....

In the past it was get it to our guy regardless of how the D was playing us....We will now force the D to play us the way we want them to and create those advantages...

12. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    PWP - I really love these explanations you give so often. I learn a lot. I'm just wondering what NFL teams are currently running this style offensive system. It all sounds great how you explain it unless Miami runs the same system or something. I know players and coaches will make or break a system and why we have such success despite one of our coaches.

Really though, who else runs our new Gap system and who ran the zone system good and bad? If that's asking too much, sorry and nevermind... :hello:

:yeehaw: :clapping: :herewego: :popcorn: :towel: :superman: :towel:

13. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The lead blocker for Foster in 1992 was Merril Hoge who was the only FB listed on the roster.

28 Albert Bentley
    29 Barry Foster
    33 Merril Hoge FB
    34 Leroy Thompson
    42 Warren Williams

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    pwp explains it pretty well, but i have to disagree that it's a HS play. it's been run by every type of football out there for many many years. the difference is the defenses. HS defenses are alot easier to fool with it. to an extent anyway. the kids just are not as adept at reading it. what happens at other levels is the defensive coaching to recognize what is coming at them. while what he says is true about the FB leading the defense to the ball in a sense, what more advanced defenders do with that FB determines how they stop it. sometimes a defenders job is to stuff that FB in the hole and create a pileup in the hole or not let him get to the flats. it's fairly easy to " TRAP" a HS DE or LB then it is a more seasoned defender. holding up a lead blocker almost turns him into another defender and is used to help clog a hole. look no further than last year as an example. if you notice early in the year last year , teams that ran more of a zone blocking scheme used casey as the "clogger". they took him down from the backside to create a pileup, then the RB basicly changed direction and the pursuit could not get down the line in time to make the tackle because of the pileup. things on the field happen alot faster as you go up in levels of football. alot of the reason rookies don't start very often here is not just pass coverage. they have jobs to do even on run plays and what they do effects others on the defense. it may not be one players job to make the tackle on certain types of plays. for instance we talk about our D linemen taking up blockers. this is very true because thats their job as far as clogging things up and using those offensive players as essentially another defender. if you put a big body in the hole, no matter if it's an offensive player or defensive player the RB can't get through that hole. holding up a lead blocker from getting to the flats takes away one aspect of that play also. for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. it pertains to football too. reading this is the job of ben. he will have to see this happen and go to option B or option C on any given play. making the defense react to one thing and going to something different is the key to making most offenses work. getting one guy out of position is usually enough to throw a defense off kilter on any given play. i think pwp will agree with this scenario.

let me add one more thing to this. many talked about how good of a trap blocker kemoeatu was. that used to make me crazy. no he wasen't. i've talked about this before. he was good at it "IF" the trap player was sitting there waiting to be trapped. he pulled and made the kickout (trap block) on a defender fooled and let into the hole. where he failed was if that trap player was not sitting there waiting for him and he had to then turn up into the hole in front of the RB and hit a different target. he was bad at this. now we have more mobile guards with the ability to turn it up or even turn and seal to the inside or outside depending on the defender. this alone will make this work much smoother then it ever did with kemo. man, i'm glad he's out of there. it used to drive me wild. they say it all starts up front for a reason, because it's true. yes colon is a vet and i think is more mobile than kemo, but as i have talked about with huge snack about colon bouncing back and forth between tackle and guard, he has alot to learn about the position and how it works. this is why i'd much rather him stay put to learn the guard spot, because it is not an easy thing to do. :cool:

15. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I for one am excited to see Colon pull the first time.

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Seen him do it from the tackle position, and it wasn't pretty at all. Had trouble keeping his feet and looked too slow to keep up with the RBs. However, in all those situations he was pulling to the outside, like on a toss play. I think as a guard he won't have such a large distance to cover, and he won't have to contend with defenders as shifty as he saw on the outside. I've been thinking for sure that pulling will be the worst spot of his game at guard, but I suppose even if that's true it'll still be an upgrade from Kemo. And maybe he'll be good at it after all. I do have faith in his blocks once he locks on, that's for sure.
    I guess I'm excited too. Is it preseason yet? :towel:

17. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No way will his pulling b better then kemo. Kemo didn't do much right bu he was a bull dozer when it came to pulling.

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Yikes, you sure about that?

A lawnmower I would believe, since he usually took out so much grass falling face first into it.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

The Raiders use a lot of the Gap system I would have to look at more tape and more stats ,but I would say they have a lot of throws to the RB'S and the TE'S,this is common in the Gap system...

A Team that runs the Zone and fell apart was the Colts....In the Zone sytem there is 2 primary ways to run it ....One is the Zone Read ,must have a running QB....And the other is the Zone passing game usually off the stretch play as the primary play....This style requires a QB who reads the D before the snap and gets the routes correct before the snap....

So basically one is a read and react in the middle of the play and the other occurs before the play starts....

There is a 3rd. way thanks to BA and that is to run it like the Zone passing game and let the QB and the Receivers keep the play alive....As you can see this is the least effective because the Attack part really has no plan like the other 2 ways do....

As far as the response to Mac he is correct the Gap sytem does require the QB to get into the best play against certain sets,but all the plays in a gap system work together in the PA pass...If you play the run perfect and fill all Gaps then the route tree will create mis matches....This is why I love a power runner in this system it basically forces the D to use their DB'S as run stoppers and their LB''S as cover guys ,or as Mac said to make a pile.....

If they are making a pile on the backside that's perfect for the run game as now you have a natural cut back lane ,if they chase the FB to the flats you get the same thing,both of which force the Safety to be the Safety Tackler if their is a cut back,which puts him in no mans land a lot of the time because of the PA pass....

Also a huge set of plays to negate the value of a huge NT is the screen game,it can be ran outside where he can't get there or you can allow him to push up field and throw the shovel pass or a Middle screen behind him.....Basically a good OC can force a team to take a 2 Gap player off the field,it is simple if he is big and strong enough to play 2 gaps then he probably wont be fast enough or in good enough shape to have a lot of value against such plays...

Just like Mac said action opposite reaction stuff.....2 ways to go let the D dictate to you or you dictate to them...Hard to dictate without a plan and the Gap system is very flexible so it's easy to develope and change the plan...

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i can't wait for the day we can block with 5 linemen and use heath as he should be used. hopefully this line will allow us to do that at some point. taking another defender out of the box. :cool:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Uh huh uh huh, this, right here :this!: I want to hear a lot of HEEEAAAATHHHH from the crowd this year :herewego:

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :roflmao:

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

Which is why Hampton was such an asset, he seemed to have just enough motor to get out on those plays and when he didn't he was able to collapse up the field and disrupt the throw.