1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Re sign Starks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by J&LSTEEL, Jul 17, 2012.

1. J&LSTEEL

J&LSTEEL Member

Apr 26, 2012
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  3. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I actually like Starks so I am happy about this :D

4. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I called this a loooong time ago, haha. I think more than anything this could spell the end of J Scott in Pittsburgh...finally. They can save over 2 mil and use the money elsewhere. They have some solid depth now...best in a long time.

6. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We actually have a little depth at Oline. Now we can let Adams learn to play as season goes on. We should be able to handle injuries better.

7. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    WOO HOO! So who is your 10? or is it just 9 this year?

T: Starks, Adams, Gilbert
    G:Colon, Decastro, Foster, Essex
    C: Pouncey, Legursky

I feel this 9 are pretty much LOCKS at this point....is there an open spot for another T?

HACK

8. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Glad to hear!!!!!!!! :herewego: :herewego:

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Max Starks is back, and so am I! Truly, a great day for this organization... So the line will look like:

Starks/Adams duke it out for LT, and loser becomes swing backup - Colon - Pouncey - Decastro - Gilbert

The only position that was left to worry about was the backup OT spot, and now that is taken care of. Foster and Legursky in the middle. Starks can play both sides at backup level for sure, and possibly a decent starter level. He did so for most of last year at LT. And you know his health and weight must be decent right now since the team made it pretty clear last year that he will not be around otherwise. This should really get Adams going, too. I really, really, really hope he wins. But thanks to this signing, I won't be so freaked out if he doesn't.

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Take Essex out, and what do you have? Still have 3 capable tackles (Starks, Adams, Gilbert), all of which the team has some degree of comfort seeing play on the left side (more than Essex for sure). You also have 2 emergency right tackles in Colon and Foster. You have a fantastic backup guard in Ramon Foster, who could be a starter, and a suitable backup 3 position interior OL player in Legursky. To me, Essex might be "able" to play all 5 positions, but across the line he's #4, #4, #3, #4, and #5. He's not practice squad eligible. Why keep him around?

I say give his spot to Beachum, who can hang around on the squad and try to become a better version of Essex in the future. He's versitile and intelligent, and could learn to be center if we need a #3 (DeCastro could also do this, since we're only talking emergencies).

I'm not saying cut Essex now. I know he lost weight and is going to fight. Let him fight and see how it shakes out. If he shows up dominating, so be it. But the way the depth chart is right now, especially with Starks back, if I'm the coach I have him on the outside looking in.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Here's a pic he posted a few days ago. Looks like he's pretty lean compared to last year this time.~
    [​IMG]

12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Would love for that 10th spot to go to Calvin Beachum. And if he can learn to long snap over the course of the next year, that would be as good as it gets.

13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not surprising at all, but very good news none the less.

14. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I think your spot on here...Essex being able to play all 5 positions on the line (plus he slimmed down a lot)...unless they can loose a player at another position I do not see them keeping 10. Beachum can go to the PS. I like this 9!

15. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Very glad about this signing!

I wouldn't be surprised if Starks starts ahead of Adams, but that doesn't bother me. I think Starks played well overall last year. I particularly liked how he played against Baltimore (2nd game)--Suggs was pretty quiet that game unlike the first meeting when Starks wasn't with the team and Suggs dominated the left side of our line.

16. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Love it! Whether he starts at LT or is our swing tackle, I am glad we brought Max back. A great team player and far more serviceable at OT than J Scott or Trai Essex. Some may not like this signing, but I am not one of them. I have confidence is big #78 when he is protecting Ben's blindside.

17. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Why, whats the purpose? Wallace hasen't even been signed and they are wasteing time and money on Starks! Doesn't make sense. All the other teams are getting their stars signed, like Rice with the Ravens, and Forte with the Bears, but the Steelers can't get Wallace on paper. Instead, they waste money on Starks and haven't even sign DeCastro yet. I would think that DeCastro is way more important then bringing back Starks. What gives?

Wallace, DeCastro not signed, Starks gets deal. How could they be that desperate!

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    No worries Edog. relax. This organization always knows what they are doing. Given their track record I am not at all worried.

19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

First and foremost there are two sides to every negotiation. What happens with Rice, Forte et al doesn't have squat to do with the Steelers. Decastro has no bearing on the salary cap because it's already accounted for. By signing Starks to a one year deal for the vet minimum and cutting Scott they not only improve the Oline they also save over 2 million. I wouldn't call that a waste. In turn the money saved can be put towards signing Wallace.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you guys keep saying we are saving 2mil. is max playing for dounuts? :cool:

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Vet minimum

Something like 600k and a 65k signing bonus, Scott's salary is something like 2.7 million.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    From the link- "his 2012 salary cap charge will be no greater than $605,000". :rawk:

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

plus the 2 mil. :cool:

25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

plus the 2 mil. :cool:[/quote:1z1sv8ba]

The 2 mil is dead money it counts against the cap with or without Starks.