1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers QB Joshua Dobbs' Development is Progressing

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerEmpire, Jun 20, 2017.

1. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I would answer this by asking how many teams know for CERTAIN their backup QB will never be the future or develop into a starter in the league. After four years we've answered that about Jones. My backup would always be a young QB with the potential to grow.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Ironically, the last true backup/replacement QB the Steelers have had is #7 himself. IMO, distant 2nd would have been Charley Batch and Mike Tomczak who were good in a pinch off the bench but couldn't carry the team for a lengthy period.

3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I will
    I will stick to my statement...if dobbs outplay LJ in preseason...he will be #2. They've been looking for a qualified backup and bonefide replacement for Ben.. but none have worked out. Sp, they stuck with LJ because he knew the system. We almost loss the browns game. Remember, LJ threw the pick 6?! But,I believe it was, DHB that knocked the ball loose before the cb crossed the goal line.
    Another thing, let him test the FA market and lets see how many teams come beating down his ... and this would be for a backup position.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There is zero chance Dobbs takes the number 2 spot out of camp, zero. Best he can hope for is 2nd half of the season.

Aside from learning the playbook, he has mechanical issues to work on. I love the potential but come on man, he has work to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    The level of interest in the back up quarterback position amazes me. The fascination with Dobbs cracks me up. Landry Jones is under contract through 2018. He's the back up until then. Ben is under contract through 2019. Assuming he plays this contract out, Dobbs may become Ben's back up QB in 2019. If Ben retires early (if the Steelers win the Super Bowl I think he will) or if he plays through 2019, his replacement will be a first round draft pick, and will be plugged in as the starter immediately. Developing quarterbacks from the bench just doesn't happen any longer in the NFL. Dobbs will not become the starter in any logical scenario.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So does LJ and its been 4yrs...lol...

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The people who so easily dismiss him crack me up. :shrug:

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah right, Dobbs wasn't that accurate in OTAs from what I heard from the media. That was his problem in college, he's not playing this season unless there's a injury.

9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I would disagree, Ben was picked in the early 1st round..... to be the starter in training..... he was never drafted to be a backup. Once you find your franchise QB, all any team can do is draft a serviceable backup. Look at anyone who ever sat behind Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady and tell me they were studs.

10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Its not so much a fascination with Dobbs, as much as, it is with how long they have stuck with LJ and know that Ben miss games every season. LJ or Dobbs aren't starters or backups to this point. But, don't try to make LJ out to be irreplaceable either. We all want what's best for this team and that goes for having a backup qb that can come in and win some games for us...just in case, next man up is needed. And, we all know, that's not LJ

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Evidently Ben dont know that LJ cant be next man up:

Steeler Depot:

Roethlisberger said Wednesday morning during his media session that he will help Jones prepare all week for the Browns and that he likes the growth he’s seen in his backup.

“Just his understanding of the offense, growth, play calling,” said Roethlisberger, according to Teresa Varley of steelers.com. “We can do no-huddle with him. Him being around here you see a lot of understanding of football, our offense, defense, and things like that.”

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    See, I don't understand this. Landry is 2-2 as a BU, his 2 wins were instrumental in making the playoffs in both seasons.

So what exactly are you expecting from a BU?

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    While that may be true as it came to pass (no pun intended) Ben wasn't technically the starter from day one and just about any QB they drafted back in those days had to be with the thought of being the real deal eventually.

14. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    LJ has a career -9 yards rushing in those years. Dobbs will beat that stat in 1 drive.

15. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I would classify Ben as more of a "starter in waiting" as oppose to a true backup. A true backup was a guy like Mike Tomczak. Ben was only a backup because that was typically the status quo in the league back then for 1st round qbs

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, without a doubt, Ben was drafted to be the franchise QB. I think even without Maddox injury, Ben would have took over at some point during the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We still don't have Ben's replacement on the roster. The FO better get serious about finding the next starting caliber QB. It isnt Jones or Dobbs. Ben was close to calling it quits after the Steelers sh!t the bed last year. This team is a .500 team with either of those clowns under center. I give BR 2 more seasons at best.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. STEELER_VOL1321

STEELER_VOL1321 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Dobbs is way better than your giving him credit for. You mention accuracy problems yet fail to mention our OL pro lems the last three years. Also that Dobbs had not one QB coach his four years at UT. He's going to do fine with a QB coach.

He will have the playbook down way faster than you'll think. He's an Aerospace engineer that graduated a semester early while playing all four years.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I expect him putting up gaudy numbers!!

:lolol:

20. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Quoting from Mark Kaboly's coverage at DKPittsburghSports.com, "Joshua Dobbs hasn’t had a very good first two days, as he continues to overthrow receivers. Dobbs did throw one strike during his three attempts at ‘Seven Shots,’ but it was to linebacker L.J. Fort. Dobbs was trying to fire a quick pass to James Conner, who was in the slot. It hit Fort right between the numbers, and he would’ve returned it 98 yards for a touchdown if the play wasn’t blown dead. Late in practice, Dobbs threw a pass that bounced off linebacker Steven Johnson’s chest. "
    '

21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Are you sure this was from Steelers practice and not just an average fall Saturday at Neyland?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if we are going by hand offs, bart houston would be the odds on favorite. :smiley1::cool:

23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Just glad we don't have to see him missing wide open receivers at Neyland any more. Dobbs was a slightly above average college QB because of his legs not his arm. I agree he is smart but he needs a strong and accurate arm to be anything other than 3 and 3. #3 on this roster and cut after 3 seasons.

BTW, the UT O line was much improved last year and looks to be the strongest unit on the squad this year. Hoping we get to see Dormady show his stuff. He seems like a legit passer. I like Guarantano too. Go Vols!

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Come on Dobbs! This ain't rocket science!!!

25. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe it should be???:shrug:

• Like Like x 2