1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers QB Joshua Dobbs' Development is Progressing

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerEmpire, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think this is likely.

Whether Dobbs is up for the task or not, I don't know (I think he is) but I do think they drafted him as a possible replacement for Ben. I don't think they make that pick with more immediate pressing needs if they didn't feel that way.

Ben has gone down the last two years and both seasons we made the playoffs and came within one game of the SB last year. LJ can and has won some games for them. It would be a mistake to cut him, which of course they aren't going to do.

Im a Dobbs fan and excited about what he can bring, but its not going to happen overnight. He's got work to do.

2. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    LJ should be MUCH better by now after all these years. I think his average is something like 1 interception per quarter played in the NFL...or not far off

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, last season he had 2 ints, and played 2 full games... so I doubt that stat.

If you add 2015 as well to get his full career stats, you have to note that these are slightly unbalanced by 2 ints thrown against Seattle, when he was put in with 2 mins left and we were chasing the game, 2 TDs down (in a game where Ben had already thrown 2 INTs as well).

It's difficult to get a feel for averages for such limited playing time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

he also had a full game against the browns last year with many starters not playing. it makes a difference. sitting around for years doesn't make you better. just because he's had years in the system doesn't mean you just come in and the team doesn't miss a beat. heck lefty and charlie took steps back as backups compared to when they started. it's just a nature of the beast. :cool:

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My issue with LJ is after this many years, he still has the deer in the headlights look. By now, that should be gone. That is a function of not having confidence in what you are doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Fan perception is craaazy **** :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I dunno. I didn't see that when he came in for Vick, or against the Pats.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i agree thig and as BF said about fan perception.:cool:

9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    SBNation:

Draft profile for Landry Jones:

Strengths
    Physically, Jones is what NFL teams are looking for in a pocket passer. He's big with a very good arm. He's sturdy and can absorb some of the punishment that a pocket passer is bound to take. He's similar to Tom Brady in terms of mobility - he has just enough to get around the pocket, but not much more. Where he differs from draft prospect Brady is in arm strength. Jones' arm is above average and he can make all NFL throws. Jones has thrown from under center and the shotgun, and his footwork, balance, and mechanics are all top-shelf.

Jones has the accuracy needed to fire into NFL passing windows. He's proven in the short passing game, something that the Oklahoma scheme emphasized. When Jones threw downfield, he was also very accurate, especially on the fade route and seam routes. I think Jones has untapped potential as a vertical passer. Oklahoma's offense schemed to create matchups in the shorter passing windows. Jones did have some plays where he threw downfield, where he showed good potential. Jones may be best in a vertical timing passing game.

Jones seems to be a leader. He's passionate, a hard worker, and takes the game seriously. His film study shows in game situations - he rarely lost to the same school twice in his four-year career. He's played 50 games for one of the best programs in college football, regularly played well, and won 39 games, including a 3-1 record in bowl games. Jones went 3-1 against Texas in the Red River Shootout, arguably Oklahoma's biggest game of every season, winning his last three games against the Longhorns.

This was the bottom line on landry 5 years ago, if he has corrected this weakness that will define his career:

BOTTOM LINE
    The NFL-sized pocket passer can be decisive and flashes the accuracy to pick apart defenses at the next level. However, his tendency to get rattled under pressure is a major issue. Also, when things start to go downhill, he lacks a short memory; his confidence is shaken. He is also inconsistent in his reads and decision making.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  10. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Another thing to consider; despite all his time with the team, outside of training camp LJ doesn't get many reps with the first teamers. It's hard to develop a rapport and trust with people you rarely play with. IMO LJ is a decent back-up. He won't win many games for you based on his talent, but he won't lose many for you either. And as long as you have Ben, that's what you need: a serviceable fill in until Ben can get back in.

11. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Lotta people were saying that about Tomlin when he was being interviewed, and for a while after he was hired. Look how that turned out. Cerebral smarts don't necessarily translate to game time generalship, especially in the heat of battle.

12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Spare me the Tomlin sucks bs. Tomlin is a damn good coach and we are lucky to have him. In case you've been living in a cellar we have never had a losing season with tomlin leading the team. He's even managed to do that despite rebuilding almost the entire roster. With that being said that doesn't have anything to do with Dobb's intelligence. He's doing exactly what he should be doing listening and learning.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Landry Jones sucks. And like PWP said earlier and we have all witnessed, when Ben is out, the Steelers chance of winning goes down dramatically. It would be the same case with Dobbs back there.

I don't hate Dobbs, but after watching him start here in Knoxville the past 3 years, I was glad to see him graduate and be gone so UT can let a more capable QB get a shot. He was an average college QB at best and only because he is mobile and shifty when he gets out of the pocket. He has never been a good passer and the majority of his completions were because of heroic efforts by his WRs at UT. This isn't college FB and his ability to scramble won't translate to the same success in the NFL.

I tend to agree with the comparison to Dennis Dixon and would be shocked but happy if he can develop into an NFL caliber QB. Not even talking about starting caliber, but even just a backup. Josh is a great guy, but his forte is in aerospace engineering. I hope he proves me wrong because I do really like him.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    F#×k tomlin

15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm anxious to see a preseason game. If dobbs is able to move the ball and get a couple of td's. Then he should be promoted to 2nd string. Ive watched LJ struggle against defenses 5th, 6th string and players that will be cut. Last years Beowns game was the nail in the coffin. Yes, we won but boy did he keep the brownies in the game

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The "BOTTOM LINE" was a good guess, but what we have seen so far is more of the negatives and only brief periods of the positives that were predicted. I suspect he is a slow learner on the NFL level. If he had a full season, he would be half way decent by the end, but that will probably never happen now.

17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Wonderful insight... Informative.

Wow! I've never looked at it that way before... You mean, when our future HoF QB goes out of the game, we have less chance of winning??? Lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Crawl back under your bridge.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The village idiot is back.

20. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    There is one thing I know about LJ. He is a back-up quarterback. Name one team that goes, "oh well are starter went down. The next guys is just as good." They may say, "Oh well the next one is just as bad." Typically teams with franchise qbs have crappy back ups. Just something you have to live with. The hope is that whenever Ben is done we have someone besides LJ to step in. Basically what I mean is none of this matters. Ben is it. The team goes as he goes. Have you heard that before????

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dobbs isn't going to be #2 this season unless there is a injury at the position.

22. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    They aren't going to cut a guy who just signed a contract extension.

23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The steelers have seen what LJ brings to the table and for four seasons, I believe, this guy has improved...yes...but not enough to say that he cant be unseated.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Big difference, their starters played against our backups and LJ still had the better game than their QBs throwing for 3 TDs and the game winner in OT, back ups dont get a lot of starts in this league, the cards drew stanton for example has 13 starts in 10 years, dallas backup kellen moore has two starts in 5 years and was IR in 2016......

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  25. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    This is exactly why I don't understand how/why he is still on the team. I don't know what the coaches see in him that he's here five years now. I always considered a backup nowadays as one who could potentially start in the future. That is not him. And he'll end up taking 95% of the snaps in preseason like he always does.