1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers QB Joshua Dobbs' Development is Progressing

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerEmpire, Jun 20, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Really now Blast? Allow me to truly blow your mind.

People want Ross Cockrell traded because "Blame Tomlin!"

:facepalm::lolol:

2. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Reflecting on his second game, it seems to me Dobbs was working on trying not to throw a dumb looking pick, but then had that shovel pass LOL. Bottom line is after two starts, L.J.`s job is looking very safe.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Paul Zeise of one of the local papers says that the Steelers need to bring in Kaepernick now.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You know, I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about signing Kaepernick on here...
    :lolol:

5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    And anybody that suggests that is as dumb as Paul Zeise

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    What is the expectation of a 4th round QB? Are you trying to get a solid career QB? Or are you trying to find that diamond in the rough who is actually a starter but just didn't get the recognition to go early?

Statisticall speaking most QBs taken in the 4th round or later do not last in the NFL long. For this reason I hate the notion of even spending a mid to late pick on a QB.

I also am not a big fan of spending a draft pick in the hopes of acquiring a career backup. There's plenty of journeymen and veterans kicking around to do this.

So if you take a QB in the mid or late rounds, You are hoping for a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott type guy. I realize this is rare, but is the desired outcome.

When it comes to the NFL, I am a big believer that a QB has it or he doesn't. Few QBs who look terrible early in their career are able to turn it around. Not impossible to do, but improbable.

Dak's rookie preseason: 39/50, 454 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs

Wilson's rookie preseason: 40/63, 536 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INTs

These are the bench marks for mid round QBs who will develop into quality starters.

EDIT:

I should have added that Dak rushed for over 50 yards and 2 TDs, while Wilson rushed for 150 yards and 1 TD.

Also,

Kirk Cousins rookie preseason: 42/73 for 560 yards, 3 TDs and 2 INTs.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Dobbs never should have even been drafted. He would have been there to sign as an undrafted FA if they wanted him.

My prediction for Dobbs career is 3 & 3. Meaning 3 years as #3 and then out of the league to pursue his life's work.

He is who we thought he was.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you are on to something KVS.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

And after the poor showing this week, they need to call up Revis asap.

10. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Excellent post! Couldn't have said it any better and the stats on Dak and Wilson are eye opening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Agree. Dobbs isn't even on the same planet as Dak and Wilson.

Those believing that Dobbs is an NFL caliber QB are probably the same folks who thought that Ladarius Green was going to put up big numbers and that paying him $20M was a good investment. We know how that worked out...

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You mean those same folks who have built one of the best teams in the NFL over the past decade and a half? Every team swings and misses a lot. Acquiring and developing personnel is far from an exact science.

I don't like much of what I'm seeing from Dobbs this preseason either. However it's a bit early to write him off completely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm willing to give Dobbs a fair shot and I realize he's a rookie and has a lot to learn. But at this point I don't think he's anything special and all we can hope for out of him is that he develops into a Charlie Batch quality backup at some point. Again, it's extremely early but if a quarterback has that "it" factor you can usually tell pretty early on even though they're making typical rookie mistakes. Based on what I've seen, read and heard up to this point, I don't think Dobbs has that "it" factor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not a good comparison anyway. Not sure who knew Green would have a head as fragile as an egg but when he was on the field, he produced. Without a doubt, would have been a huge offensive weapon if not for the concussions.

• Agree Agree x 1