1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers QB Joshua Dobbs' Development is Progressing

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerEmpire, Jun 20, 2017.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks. I guess the next logical phase will be: "Rudy, Rudy, Rudy........." (JEH - you'll have to explain to the under 40 crowd).

2. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I also LOVED the 90's Steelers but we ALWAYS love them more when they win rings. No franchise QB RARELY wins rings. You had Brad Johnson of Tampa and Trent Dilfer of Ravens, and who else in modern NFL win the SB without a franchise QB? The Brady's, Roethlisberger's, Roger's, Mannings', Elway's, win rings. The Neil O'Donnell's don't.

3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Oh no, you didn't!!!

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course every fan wants to win SB's but as long as the team competes every week, wins divisions and in the hunt every year like they were in the 90's, Im good. SB's are the cherry on top.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And under Tomlin/Colbert this happens quite frequently. Yet people want to get rid of them? Hmmm...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    You have to be right, because if you're not, we're more screwed than we know. I have no idea why we keep Jones around, he's terrible and showed it last season. Dobbs (on topic here) looks really bad. His passes aren't crisp at all witch makes me question his arm strength and he has 0 poise in the pocket. Houston has looked slightly better than Dobbs, but that isn't saying much

7. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think Dobbs has decent arm strength, his accuracy isn't getting any better. Landry Jones must be sleeping good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    No poise. Poor decision making. He's a project. A long term one.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Of course.

Anything else he learns this year is essentially gold. I am fine with that and content with it personally.

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It's basically huge Ben then a big old pile of steaming crap after him lol

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Something about 2nd and 3rd string Steeler QB's that gets everyone worked up.

Dobbs is a 4th rd QB with potential that needs work. Shocking that after 2 preseason games he isnt a polished starting QB yet.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I actually think he is playing well under the circumstances .The Team basically gave him a new WR package from one game til the next.He also had a number of drops by his guys as well as some poor route running .

How would he look with AB ? How would he look with a set WR'S he has experience with ? What if he had Bell to check down to ?

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I really think Dobbs has a bright future...at NASA. LOL! Honestly though I'm not all that concerned with how he looked tonight. That was a pretty dang good d that he played tonight with a really defensive minded coach. It's not exactly like he was playing all scrubs the whole game. I'm more concerned with the fact that Matt Ryan appeared as though he could have driven 1,000 yards if the field had been that long.

14. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Dobbs is 18 of 34 for 170 yards, a touchdown and three interceptions in two starts. His passer rating is 40.1

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah. This is why preseason isn't a good barometer for the season.

16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Landry Jones sleeping like a baby

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm not sure what people expected from Dobbs. That he'd be a late round QB gem, like Dak Prescott or Tom Brady? Well, that's really unrealistic. That he'd step in as the logical #2 over the much maligned Laundry Jones? That might be asking too much.

Chances are Dobbs floats around the league for a couple of yrs holding clipboards, eventually gets displaced by another mid round fresh face, and starts his career at Boeing.

They'll keep him around, maybe he develops, maybe he doesn't. Odds are he wont. Look at the list of QBs drafting in 4th-5th round the last 5 yrs. it's full of Cardale Joneses, LoganThomases and Tom Savages. Few diamonds, lots of rough. That's probably who Josh Dobbs is. No insult to him, he is what he and he's playing in preseason like that.

Maybe the Stillers brilliant talent evaluation system found Ben's replacement in round 4 this year, but you can't be too disappointed if it didn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i know next week will be for ben and the starters to begin with and we have to then give LJ some game reps but......

does anyone else think houston has a better command of the offense and pocket presence than dobbs right now? should we put some more pressure on dobbs and play houston ahead of him in game 3 to make this a competition. houstons deep throws are off, but would working more with him give us a better evaluation of what we really have at our 3rd string guy.

i know dobbs is the draft pick and all but i gotta say, i'd like to see houston get an even shake with some better game action. can he be better than dobbs and the guy we keep?

i'm just not seeing a huge difference in a guy that gets way more reps and maybe the lesser guy needs some of those to make a true evaluation. i never thought houston would amount to much but he looks as good if not better to me running the offense with less opportunity. are we doing the team a disservice if we don't check this out and not just hand this spot to dobbs?:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  19. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012

To be fair, many were saying the same thing about Landry when he was a rook and AB went invisible when Landry had to step in.

20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Dobbs is another Hybrid college QB, that NFL coaches are trying to make a pocket passer.

I say let the kid make some plays with his feet, that is what can make guys like Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, scary.

Problem is, the coaches want him to try to be the back up and run the offense like Ben. I don't think he is that type of QB.

I look at him as this point, as a project. He will be on the practice squad, get him reps. I'm not sure what the future holds.

It takes a lot of learning, give him some time. He has a long, long way to go. But, I think Landry with be safe in his QB2 spot.

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That is true and LJ never got much better even with more reps and more time .I will give Dobbs the same before passing judgement. 2 things I see that Dobbs can do better than LJ'S already.#1 His arm is much stronger .#2 He does have the ability to elude and extend plays.

Will he ever be a starting caliber NFL QB ? I am not sure ? Does he deserve at least a full season before we pass that judgement ? Yes he does.

22. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Being a Badgers fan, I am very familiar with Houston. He is what he is. A game manager who usually doesn't make mistakes. He has poise, can run a huddle, and usually good decision making. He's not gonna make alot of 15+ yard throws.

Despite his accuracy issues, he has outplayed Dobbs so far.

That being said, his INT yesterday was inexcusable and certainly cost himself any possible job with the Steelers (as remote as that was) and likely in the NFL this season. The game was in hand, just don't turn the ball over. I get that he was going to be likely jobless in a couple of weeks but that was a big mistake for him.

As I've been saying, Dobbs might develop into something down the road. My instincts tell me that's not likely mostly based on college tape and what little we have seen so far. I'm just concerned about tying up a roster spot on a guy who will bring zero value in 2017.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Yeah, he doesnt have to worry about Dobbs being the backup any time soon, lateraling that ball for a pick is about the dumbest thing i've seen in a game lately....

24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    its basically ben or bust this season, just like every season. Landry is good enough to beat a scrub team i guess lol

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Isn't this pretty much true of every team?