1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers QB Joshua Dobbs' Development is Progressing

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerEmpire, Jun 20, 2017.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I will say that some of the post game comments by Dobbs were refreshing to listen to. He didn't hide behind football cliches and actually broke down some of his bad plays and was honest about his performance. Despite the up and down nature of his first NFL game he seemed upbeat and willing to learn from his mistake and move forward.

2. STEELER_VOL1321

STEELER_VOL1321 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Not sure I have seen anyone say he is the franchise once Ben leaves. But, I have seen people say he will not be the steelers answer including you. I think it's pretty much illiterate to weigh in on either side of the spectrum after 1 preseason game.

Basing anything on the 1st preseason game is like picking the winner of the Masters based on his Tuesday Range session.

Dobbs will be fine. He's a super-smart kid that will pick up anything the coaches ask.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. STEELER_VOL1321

Apr 29, 2017
    I already expected your age but thanks for confirming it.

4. STEELER_VOL1321

Apr 29, 2017
    Well it was 78 degrees when Dobbs threw the interception . If it had been 77 JuJu wouldn't have gotten his concussion either.:roflmao:

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think there must be something wrong with the water in Tennessee

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yep it stunted BFT's growth. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You lost me at this point. Considering the degree in which fans are wrong in their evaluating skills, I don't think anyone can say for certainty what the future holds for Dobbs. Or LJ for that matter.

And even if they aren't that guy, the void may not be as big as you think with them at the helm. People keep automatically assuming its going to be the 80's all over again, don't know about you but I loved the 90's Steelers. No franchise QB.

• Like Like x 1
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If LJ is the starter then we are in for some very lean years after Ben retires. That guys ceiling is a backup.

I have no idea on Dobbs, it has only been one preseason game. That is my point. My words in the previous post were a little stronger than I intended.

9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    This game is all about common sense and not how many degrees you have, bottom line is dobbs completed 8 passes 2 of which were picks in 3 quarters of live game action, a poor first showing, and thats nothing to brag about.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not sure that anyone can accurately say that his ceiling is backup since the team has never gone all in on him before. All of his work as a starter has been as a placeholder until Ben is healthy and a coaching staff that said they weren't reinventing the wheel during that period. I think the same can and will be said of Dobbs. They will get him to a certain point but in the end he is playing Ben's playbook with maybe a handle of plays crafted to his talents.

11. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Compare Dobbs to Geno Smith... 1 Preseason game vs how many regular season games for Smith... Dobbs played great...

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Projecting Dobbs at this point is like estimating how many tomatoes you will get right after the plant gets its first leaves.

Or something like that..,,

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Poetry.

But quite right.

14. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    It was preseason and he played the starting defense of NY to start... With 33 has zero help. Then 65 came in and nearly had him killed a few times...
    Dobbs did throw two TD's and 2 INT's.. But he improved as he went on after the INT's... Most rookie qb's after two horrible int's like he had would have folded up for the day.. he held his own and didn't looked deer in headlights at anytime.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Stick to the topic at hand gramps.

Dobbs did exactly what a late round rookie QB in preseason does. He made more mistakes than not, made some poor decisions, was confused by the D, didn't demonstrate strong grasp of the playbook, learned that he can't outrun NFL D linemen and LBs like he did in college, and a few flashes of skill and talent that reinforce why the FO signed him. It is precisely what we thought and expected. He has a steep learning curve and a long way to go just like any rookie QB. Odds are not in his favor that he'll turn into Ben's replacement or even unseat LJ as #2. But if he does, then hey, that is great. He's gonna need a lot more PT and snaps before anyone labels him a good pick or a bust.

Like you, I watched Dobbs play at UT over the past 4 years. And based on what I've seen of Dobbs in college, he looks about the same to me. The problem is that the skill and talent of the opposing defenders is on a whole other level. Plus, his particular strengths that made him a slightly above average college QB, are not as big of a plus in the NFL as they were in college.

You and I will likely continue to disagree on the potential of Josh Dobbs. Time will tell. How about we agree to support and love the black n gold and move on.

• Like Like x 1
  16. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    The problem with the water here is that its 150 proof.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I think if you look closely on replay Dobbs elbow was hit just before release

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Dobbs had 1 TD not 2, Houston was QB for the other TD. Terrell Watson capped a nine-play, 53-yard drive TD that Bart Houston guided in his first series after taking over for Dobbs,....

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, I just rewatched it.

20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought I saw his elbow hit too. Still what's crazy though is this game basically confirms that our coaches don't watch film or read the scouting reports because if they did there would be no way they'd let a rookie test the great "Valentino" Blake.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For what it's worth, Dobbs had a second well thrown TD nullified by penalty.

22. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Dobbs did a decent job extending that play. I'll just point out though, that if Mihalik didn't hold, then Dobbs would have likely been sacked before he got off the pass to X. All in all, not a great first outing with 2 INTs out of first 5 attempts. But it is what most expected.

On a related note, I rewatched the INT to Blake and like you said, he may have had his armed bumped but hard to tell. I hope that is actually the case because if not, then it was a really crappy throw.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Friends are starting QB after Ben retires is not on the roster. We have on our roster 2 back up journeymen.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Speaking of Blake - did the announcer say something about Blake changing his first name from Antwan to Valentino or something screwy like that? New uni - new name? :hmm:

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, new uniform, new name. He said it is a new beginning. Valentino is his middle name.