1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers plan to tender Wallace, not franchise

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Mar 1, 2012.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not that this will surprise many as it's quite obvious the Steelers can't afford to franchise Wallace, nor is he worth that much. Adam Schefter just reported that the Steelers plan to tender him rather than use the franchise tag. That comes from sources close to Wallace.

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think the Steelers releasing Ward shows that they're pretty confident Wallace is going to be re-signed, because as of now Brown and Sanders are the only WRs under contract.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is where I say cue up the worse case scenario. Release Ward, tender Wallace and lose him(bonus 1st rd pick is helpful) Cotchery signs with another team, Sanders suffers a high ankle sprain during OTA's and is hampered all preseason and into regular season. Only Brown is left as a healthy veteran WR along with whatever journeymen guys they pick up off the scrap heap.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, obvs with a new OC, Redman will simply carry the ball 900 times a game.

Alternatively, at our darkest hour, a new light will shine out of the depths and rescue our season. Limas Sweed! Your time has come!

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It does seem bleak but the best case scenario is just wishful thinking. I am putting my money on Brown/Sanders starting opening day with Cotchery as the slot receiver because it is easiest to achieve and involves the least amount of things happening in perfect order.

6. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Agree with Thorn here....

7. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Can I take that bet? Wallace isn't going anywhere. Nobody is going to give him a huge contract + lose 1st round pick. At worst we have him on a 1 year tender... But I bet we sign him longterm before free agency.

Opening day will be Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotch/FA veteran... and I think this might be the year that Grisham makes it.

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think grisham moved to the far west side of pittsburgh

9. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    lol as a lifelong Cincinnatian am I missing a joke here? I don't get it.

10. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I just saw that apparently Grisham signed with the Broncos... oops

11. bigdaddyK

bigdaddyK Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Grisham signed a contract with the Broncos. Wallace is gone I think Tomlin and company want the pick instead. They have decided they can only pay one of Wallace and Brown big money and have chosen brown. Ala Ward va Burress. Tomlin stated in the past Wallace was a one trick pony and I agree with that. Cothery has stated he wants to retire a Steeler so Wards money will go to him. Draft a guy and bring in Burress to help in the red zone gives us 5 solid wrs.

I think Seattle, Chicigo are both teams that will make a play for Wallace. Washington to me seems like it should bring in peyton, Wayne and Saturday and go all in for the next 3 seasons.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I thought he signed with the cards i guess it was the broncis

13. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    The problem for wallace is there are a lot of free agent wrs that can make a huge impact this year. Bad for him good for us.

14. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    What are you basing all this on? Tomlin has called Wallace a "one trick pony" with his tongue in cheek... I think he likes to harass guys to motivate them. I read recently he used to call Redman "Barlow" all through camp, talking about Kevin Barlow who had a lot of talent to push the pile but just never really reached his potential.

I find it VERY hard to believe the organization would be willing to release Hines if they weren't confident that either Wallace or Cotch will be here.

15. bigdaddyK

bigdaddyK Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Coth has stated he wants to retire a Steeler and the steelers said on countless times last season he was Hines of 5 years ago so he will be brought back. Wallace runs a great go route and nothing else. Holmes when he was here every knew his favorite route was the quick slant. If they wanted to keep him they could make Smith retire release Farrior and kemo and franchise tag him but just tendering to me means they want the pick. Maybe they take a guy like Michael Floyd in the 1st round or the draft a guy later. Brown who seems to be the more complete Wr and the hardest worker he is the guy they decided to pay. Tod Haleys offense is more of the 10 to 12 yard passes relying on yac from the wrs which is not Wallace forte.

16. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I never could understand why a team would prefer a draft pick over a seasoned young receiver. One trick pony ,yes but Bruce Arians was a one trick Offensive Coordinator. hence the go route that Wallace ran. If he goes I hope it will be to an NFC team.

17. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i think people are missing the point on hines. it has nothing to do with who is on our roster, whether we will re-sign wallace, whether we will get a. brown extended, whether we re-sign cotchery, whether sweed can descend from the clouds of heaven to grace us with his extraordinary 'potential', whether we can bring plax back, etc, etc, etc . . .

and it's not about how our organization failed us/hines by not bringing him back for one more year. so we shouldn't be sad, mad, frustrated, surprised, shocked, or anything even resembling these emotions.

the fact is: hines ward is washed up, over-the-hill, and commanding a $925,000 contract (that's the MINIMUM he MUST be paid per league rules). he can't/won't play special teams either. what that means is that you can either have a guy sitting fourth or fifth on your depth chart, barely seeing the field, and pulling in $925k or you can bring in a younger, faster, more talented guy for $350k-$400k that might actually give you a lot of production out of the wr spot AND play full-time on special teams.

it's a decision that has been made in the best interest of the PITTSBURGH STEELERS. we should all be happy with it. i love hines as much as anyone else, but his time is up.

18. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yikes thorn, regarding your "worst case scenario", all I can say is:

[youtube:1txecgql]JzLQGQY8EhQ[/youtube:1txecgql]

19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    THIGPEN82 you said that Redman will carry the ball 900 times a game. Don't tease me like that! I'm fragile!

20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Dan Snyder signed Randle El to a seven-year contract worth $31 million that includes $11.5 million in bonuses. He didn't have to give up a #1 but it shows that there are teams who will go above the market for a player.

21. victimofchanges

victimofchanges Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Oops I did not see this thread earlier. If I had I would not have posted mine. My bad.

22. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

Exactly. Throw in few conference rivals who could use a speed WR and anyone preaching the "Wallace will be a Steeler in 12" message is really trying to convince themselves

23. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If we can get a NT, Guard and a Middle Linebacker with 2 1's and our 2 in the draft and keep Cotchery I think this would probably be worth it. Just hope he get's offers from teams drafting before the Ratbirds and Patsies.

24. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Losing Wallace really makes me nervous..... :-(