1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers place original pick tender on Cockrell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SanDiegoSteel, Mar 3, 2017.

1. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016

means steelers can match any offers and if a team signed him they would have to give up a 4th rd pick.

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope someone likes him as much as some fans on here do a 4th. for him would be great..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Disappointing. I'm much bigger on Cockrell than many. I would have tendered him higher. I'm sure many teams would be willing to give up a 4th to get an everyday CB capable of playing in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We will see, i doubt he gets a lot of interest..Maybe at least 1 Team will be blind ...Ross is a fair CB at most we can get better than a fair player with a 4th. rd, pick..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Go look through our list of past 4th round picks. Tell me again how many have performed better than Cockrell. Maybe 2 or 3 in the past 15 years.

An additional 4th round pick isn't likely to yield a better product than Ross Cockrell.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Probably not at CB as he is fair as I stated..Most good CB'S come from near the beginning of round #1 ..This draft is very deep and there will be a Franchise RB in round #4...There will be a better than average WR in the 4th round ...I also think there will be a few franchise FS's in round #4 as well ...As I stated Ross may not even get any offers ...

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The secondary isn't in a position where it can afford to lose Cockrell.

Hope they are able to retain him.

• Agree Agree x 10
  9. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    It's a risky move. But it implies that the Steelers intend to go after a big name corner in free agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Not risky at all.. They cover their bases in case some team creams themselves over a CB who is clearly second in skill level to the majority of the league. A 4th rounder plus giving the home team a negotiating advantage would be a pretty steep price to pay for Cockrell imo I love the guy and have said on multiple occasions he is the most heady player in the secondary and makes plays on his diagnoses and reaction. I'd love to keep him on....

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Very slippery slope, Cockrell has a ways to go but he has shown improvement
    and now has nfl experience.

12. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    It's risky, because a lot of teams are going to be interested in a very young corner with 25+ starts on the outside, at the mere cost of a 4th round pick. It's risky because you've given some control of your secondary/cap to outside factors. The Steelers chose to save 1 million in cap space (difference between 2nd round tender and original round tender).
    In my opinion the Steelers are playing it like this:

1. They are going to try to sign a big name corner, and the 1 million in savings on Cockrell would contribute to their ability/flexibility to do that.

2. If they land the big name corner and no one offersheets Cockrell, that's fantastic, they get Cockrell for 1.85 as their #3 corner. Timmons is gone.

2b. If they land the big name corner, and someone offersheets Cockrell with a formidable contract, we walk away with a measely 4th rounder, but likely re-sign Timmons instead.

2c. We DONT land a big name corner, Cockrell gets offersheet, we match, and re-sign Timmons.

2d. We DONT land a big name corner, Cockrell doesn't get offersheets, we re-sign Timmons, and look to use cap space elsewhere.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He really has only the last 2 seasons of experience to lean on, his rookie year in Buffalo he saw very limited playing time, Ike taylor took 3 years before he started to show a step up in understanding the position so I expect to see Ross have a good year in 17 thats if some team doesnt offer him more money to leave .....

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Nothing special about him but when we can't "afford" to lose him that shows our state of the secondary lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I see your thinking and that does make sense. Hopefully #2 comes to fruition. Still would like Cockrell on the team.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i see cockrell as being our next deshea townsend or willie gay type of player. thats if nobody claims him. that nickle guy/ 3rd cb that can give you starts if there is an injury, be it one game or several games. both gay and townsend were solid in their play and eventually late in their career were used as starters for a couple of years. i'd like to see us get a high draft pick to start and learn while gay and cockrell are still here to mentor the two young guys. :cool:

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed. A fourth round player is not going to help out as much as Cockrell is currently in addition to the fact that Ben's clock is running out faster and faster.

Given the circumstances, I would try to keep him here if we can. If we cannot.., wish him all the best.

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly...This is why we need to get a FA CB who is better and if a Team makes Ross a offer then take it ....The team gave up a 64.6% completion rate and 342 yards a game..Ross had zero picks..He has only 2 in 3 years of the NFL the Rookie had 3 in his first NFL action...Ross knows what to do he is just a safe not good enough skilled player to make impact plays ....The team and me seem to view him more closely than most fans on here do..If he was that good the the Team would have signed him or put a higher tender on him ...

We need play makers Ross,Gay,and Mike should be replaced as starters i could see keeping Ross and kicking him to Gay's spot and that value is about a 4th rd. tender...

• Like Like x 1
  19. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Referencing overall defensive numbers in an argument against Cockrell is pretty stupid, unless you also believe Burns and Davis are busts.

Do some research. Find out what Cockrell's come. % against is verse Burns. What's Cockrell's YAC (a far more relevant statistic in our system. How many red zone TDs did he give up?

Your analysis of Cockrell... well it isn't even really an analysis, it's an ignorant position influenced largely by the 10-20% of negative plays (that you can comprehend, while the other 80-90% is lost on you.

The Steelers choice on tag has nothing to do with "being aligned with your view", and instead is a strategic choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Ross is a heady player!!! Smart and makes few mistakes. He's limited physically and hasn't produced confidence that he can create turnovers.

Original rd tender is telling and a gamble.

They ARE looking to upgrade him as they should. He did not "grow" last yr as they hoped like his early career predicted ..

If they make a FA splash acquisition @ CB and they can resign him look to see him moved to the slot and Gay may be gone..... They like Shabazz and will most likely draft a CB with one of their first 4 picks.

A team doesn't have to out bid us for him. They can place a "poison pill" in their offer.

Cajun

21. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I heard on the NFL network that the steelers are looking for a veteran CB

22. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, sign a 2 year contract. ride the pine all year and get cut the following year. Seen that play a few times already

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I like Ross. He's not a guy with great physical ability, but he's a solid player - and a tremendous value. In my view, he was the least of our defensive problems in the AFCCG. I did not re-watch the game, and probably won't because it made me puke enough watching it once. However, my recollection was that he easily had the best performance that day out of all of our secondary players. If all of our defenders had played zone with the comprehension of responsibilities and route combinations that Ross did, we would not have been lit up to the ridiculous extent that we were.

• Like Like x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I'll make it easy, all our secondary suck lol. Then again anyone's would look like **** when you have no pass rush

25. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It's concerning because, lets face it, the Steelers aren't going to spend money at CB in free agency. If they do it's a player that isn't in their system so probably won't be as good as Cockrell. Lets hope he stays, that unit can't afford to backslide given the championship window in front of us.