1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers' options at FB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ivanarevalo07, May 17, 2012.

1. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Interesting the thread is supposedly about the FB position but all three players listed are TE's. Why can't we bring in a player to test at FB that has actually played the position? Why try to convert someone into something he's not? We've done that on the OL for years now and we all know where that got us. Bring in a real Full back!

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I agree with you 1000 percent in that DJ is not the answer. :thumbsdown:

3. ivanarevalo07

ivanarevalo07 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well David Johnson and McCoy played FB for us last year, but you're right they're listed as TE's. Will Johnson is even more interesting as he started in college as a WR then a TE but he's the only person listed on our roster as a FB. Like someone else said, it's kind of like what the Raiders did with Marcel Reece, hopefully Will Johnson can be just as good.

4. ivanarevalo07

ivanarevalo07 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow just found some more info on Will Johnson. This is a good breakdown of what he's good at. He seems like a decent lead blocker but what I liked most about the video is the short interview at the end of him acknowledging that each player has a roll and he comes off as a selfless hard worker. I'm really pulling for this kid now.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouwkrBkagkQ

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Man, can you believe all those shlubs that wanted us to draft that guy??? :facepalm:

I had no idea he had such a problem. I only knew of the one concussion at the senior bowl. That sucks for him.

6. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    You need to stop saying stuff like that, for your own good. I am really holding back on the personal insults right now, but the gist of them was going to be that I think very little of your football intelligence. You might as well say that you hope we don't use any running backs, or that you hope we don't use a kicker this year because we need touchdowns.

7. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not only any of that, but if most or all the other teams in the league are focusing on passing in their offense they must must be keying it on their defense.

So, if we go back to having a dominating running attack we are preparing for what the rest of the league isn't and in that respect we are also picking up talent the rest of the teams are not prioritizing. I see it as a win win

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Perhaps a real FB is seen as more of a necessity by the fans then by the coaching staff. Last time I checked we won 2 Superbowls despite your claim of the team trying to convert someone into something they're not. It could have been 3 if it wasn't for some stupid decisions by Ben and TP.

9. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Per Ed Bouchette on twitter : David Johnson moved fulltime to FB, no longer a TE, Isaac Redman just said.

10. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Great, he's a 1 star tight end and a 0 star fullback, who was gradually moved away from the FB position late last year, as our running game got better. This move is fine with me as long as his next move is off the roster.

11. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Heres one name whos a FA...though it probably wont happen...but he's been a solid FB most of his career (an All Pro a couple of times)...

Ovie Mughelli (former Falcon...drafted by the Ravens in 03)

12. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

Not only does a solid run game open so many options BUT a Solid FB is the last/best option protection a QB has when the line breaks down or blitzed.

Also EVERY QB knows on any passing play when the play breaks down the FB is ALWAYS open and is the perfect checkdown. A FB must have good hands along with blocking ability which is why moving short TEs to FB is the current rave.

Its been reported the Haley's new offenses uses ALOT of play action....couple this with the fact we have two brand new big time draftees on our line Plus a mauling OT converted to LG & probowl center you can look for us to run more. I also read a quote by Redman that DJ is fultime FB and no longer attends any TE meeting.

Last thing---- Haley had a passing game @ arizona that was dominate and when at KC his run game was among the NFL tops. All I can say is ESPN folks are stupid for predicting us 3rd in the north. We may struggle to start the season but like a diesel engine the more we go the the better we go and by playoff season we'll be the MOST Dominating offense in the NFL!!!!!!!

Cajun-

13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Eassy,,,,,calm yourself...take a breath and just breath---------

There, feel better?

I once saw a expose' on a college coach on TV, not long ago, but doesn't have a punter on his team and thinks punting is stupid, he always goes for it and has a great winning %,,,, ...... you might be onto something with that no kicker more TD thing!!!!

Cajun-

14. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's not a "claim" but a fact. Under the previous OC we used tight ends as full backs and guards as tackles, and we basically sucked on offense, especially in point scoring. You (and your 7 posts) sound like like a BA apologist, a dead breed on this board by the way, who say because we won 2 super bowls it must have been because he was a great OC. Wrong. The definition of insanity (aka BA) is doing the same thing over and over and expect different results. And that's why the Rooney's canned him.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Easy there, tiger. I don't see what he's saying in this post that remotely brings in BA. Hell, he wasn't even in charge for both superbowls.

All that "BA apologist" stuff is best left on the old MB.

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

In case you missed it the current OC is using a TE as a fullback as well. It should be blatantly obvious that a "real fullback" is only important to you and not the Steelers. Get over it, there's no need to bash me and my 7 posts because you can't wrap your feeble mind around this simple truth. in your little world Colon was playing tackle because BA is a dumbass and not out of necessity? How many posts did you make to come up with that little nugget of wisdom? Would you care to point out where I said he was a great OC? You might want to look into how turnovers by the offense and a lack of turnovers created by the defense influence offensive production.