1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers optimistic on new Mike Wallace deal before training

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jul 16, 2012.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Re: Steelers optimistic on new Mike Wallace deal before trai

I saw this also but the contract comparison to Rice is flawed. Rice means more to the Ravens offense than Wallace means to ours so I'm not convinced he should expect similar money. Just like he doesn't deserve Larry Fitzgerald money, or even close to it.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Can't go around basing contracts on who means more to a team then whom. You compare talent level, Wallace is easily on the same playing field as Rice. And while I don't think Wallace is equal to Fitz, this offense would suffer without him, Browns production would fall off as defenses began doubling him up. So yes, Wallace is pretty important.

4. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I believe he was comparing the structure of Rice's contract more than the actual money involved.

5. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011

Can't go around basing contracts on who means more to a team then whom. You compare talent level, Wallace is easily on the same playing field as Rice. And while I don't think Wallace is equal to Fitz, this offense would suffer without him, Browns production would fall off as defenses began doubling him up. So yes, Wallace is pretty important.[/quote:103dfhxh]

Ok cool. Now show me the chart you're looking on that says rice and wallace have the "same talent". Didn't think so. Teams don't pay based upon talent, but rather based upon value a player brings to the team. That's why there are those things called "franchise tags". Ravens gave rice a franchise tag cuz he was too valuable to lose as opposed to wallace who only got a first round tender tag from us.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Ok cool. Now show me the chart you're looking on that says rice and wallace have the "same talent". Didn't think so. Teams don't pay based upon talent, but rather based upon value a player brings to the team. That's why there are those things called "franchise tags". Ravens gave rice a franchise tag cuz he was too valuable to lose as opposed to wallace who only got a first round tender tag from us.[/quote:3boo2uop]

Why do I need a chart? Is Rice the second coming of Walter Payton? Didn't think so. And value is set primarily in the market, not ones importance to the team, it certainly factors in but it's not the be all end all to the decision making process. You look at megatrons salary and you go ok, this guy is getting this, he's the best in the league (for argument sake lets say he is) then you base your offer on that. That's why when teams like the Raiders skewer the system GM's get pissed, they effed it up by giving out ridiculous contracts.

7. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011

If a player's value & importance to the team didn't matter there would be no such thing as a franchise tag designation. You and I will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Won't be the first time, or the last I'm sure.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

wallace meant a ton to us last year in the TD department. rice doesn't tie up a corner and a safety each play. anyway the article was talking about the structure. wallace has shown he can score near half our TD's. without he and mendy scoring(which will happen if neither is on the field), this team will be hurting bad. they own the bulk of our scoring. as good as brown played last year, he only had 2 TD's. he's well worth some money and the team knows that. we just have a limited amount to play with or he would be signed. no he's not worth breaking the bank on, but neither is rice and they didn't. we franchised wallace because we could and it saved around 6 mil. and they don't have much more than that to play with right now. :cool:

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I never said value to a team doesnt matter, it's just not the deciding factor. There really is nothing to agree to disagree on, market value setting is a fact, it's not my opinion.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Mike Wallace is looking for the same amount Desean Jackson of the Eagles got,
    can you blame him?

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

Problem is there's no way he's going to get it this year or next. So just sign the damn tender get to camp and put up a good year then leave.

12. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011

Nope, he can look all he wants.