1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers optimistic on new Mike Wallace deal before training

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jul 16, 2012.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Re: Steelers optimistic on new Mike Wallace deal before trai

Tomlin Era Sorry I mis read your Cap post.....Teams and the NFL will not let the Cap go way up....There will be a lot of money ,but the NFL and the Teams will find a way to split that in a way that keeps the cap reasonable...

As to the part about getting a deal done and the Team expects to get 1 done...What else could they say? All the signs point to the fact they want Wallace and all the signs point to the fact Wallace wants more money than they are offering....Most of the Team mates of Wallace have begged him to sign his Tender,and 1 actually told him to humble himself.....Thats my take on that Wallace needs Football statement....I am sure Haley has expressed concern about wanting his #1 WR in the fold...Then you see comments from Brown about he wont handle the situation like Wallace is....All this leads me to believe the Team and the Players know that Wallace and the Team are simply to far apart....

Will he swallow some pride and take the offer,will he sign the Tender,or is he willing to sit out ?? Also if it is the Money and Dallas is willing to pay it then chances are just as good he plays there this year as him playing with the Steelers....

If he is not in camp before the 4th. or 5th. practice I will expect Wallace to ask for a trade at that point....This is speculation of course,but if he is going to be productive this season no matter where he plays,he needs to get into camp....

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

No problem. I agree, he should definitely be in camp. I started out believing there was no way he was going to get a deal done but I've wavered from that, nothing more than a gut feeling really. We'll find out soon enough. For the record, I like Brown better then Wallace, he's my type of player. But I want them both on the field this year and at a price that doesn't hurt us signing other players down the road, which I don't believe the Steelers would do.

3. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I always hear conflicting rules on a RFA not showing up for camp.I thought that if a guy don't show up he can go till week 9 or 10 and it would still count as a vested year. I have also read in the past that the rules have changed and they must show up all year to have a vested year. Can someone set me straight on the correct rule. I am really confused on this one. HELP :frustrated:

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Under the new CBA Wallace would have until week 10 to sign his Tender,,,if he does so he would get credit for the year and would be a UFA next season,,,,he can not be fined for missing camp or games until that time either.....So basically he can play less than half a season and still get his full tender and be a UFA after the season....

IMO we should trade him if he misses 3 or 4 camp practices.....They should put there best deal on the table right beside the Tender,,,tell him this is it sign 1 or the other and be ready for camp or we will be looking for you a new home....

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

What you thought is right. A RFA only needs to be on the roster 6 games for it to count as an accrued season.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

no he doesn't automaticly get his whole tender amount. they can and already could have reduced that number the longer he stays unsigned. they chose not to reduce his tender amount in good faith. :cool:

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

They could have reduced the Tender ,but that date has came and gone ....And under the new rules being he hasn't signed it,he can't be fined for not practicing or playing in games before week 10.....

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i believe there are other dates in the new cba that they can reduce the tender amounts still if he doesn't sign it. i'll do some digging but i did read that. :cool:

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

i believe there are other dates in the new cba that they can reduce the tender amounts still if he doesn't sign it. i'll do some digging but i did read that. :cool:[/quote:37bg2anv]

I believe that date came and went as PWP said Mac. I think that's it, no other chances to reduce now.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011

Not Omar, but I can tell you that the calendar you linked to is for last year. Those dates were adjusted for last year because the CBA was signed on August 4th.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

forgive my stupidness. :facepalm: :oops: :cool:

13. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011

Thanx for clearing up my brain-fart.
    Wasn`t thinking about the fact they were talking about franchised players only, as opposed to RFA`s...
    DUH... :facepalm:

14. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Not sure about the date, but I thought (and I could be way off base) that the date was when the team could reduce the tender and that any time after that date, if unsigned thay can still reduce it. ?????????

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011

June 15th is the only day. The CBA refers to it as the "June 15 Tender" and makes no mention of any dates or a window beyond that day. It says 'the club may withdraw the Qualifying Offer on June 15' as opposed to on or after etc.

16. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

The Pittsburgh Steelers have made progress in contract talks with restricted free-agent WR Mike Wallace. Both sides appear to be motivated to agree to a long-term contract.

2012-07-19 13:01:22 | Source: CBSSports.com - Jason La Canfora

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=798568 ... z216SB6XkI

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011

Sweet, let's get this wrapped up!
    [tweet0719:19p1hspd][/tweet0719:19p1hspd]

18. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Just another link.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5329/mike-wallace

CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora confirms the Steelers "continue to make headway" in long-term contract talks with restricted free agent Mike Wallace.
    GM Kevin Colbert has made it clear the organization wants to build around the dangerous vertical threat, and LaCanfora reports Wallace's camp is "motivated" to stay in Pittsburgh as well. Although there's no real deadline to finalize the deal, both sides are working to get Wallace into training camp to pick up snaps in Todd Haley's offense after missing out on offseason practices. Jul 19 - 3:58 PM
    Source: Jason LaCanfora on Twitter

19. mthomas184

mthomas184 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Mike Wallace, Steelers reportedly progress on contract

Mike Wallace, Steelers reportedly progress on contract

By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The League editor
    Published: July 19, 2012 at 05:05 p.m. Updated: July 19, 2012 at 05:11 p.m.

Mike Wallace and the Pittsburgh Steelers might get a contract done this offseason after all.

With training camp approaching, Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com reports that the two sides are in "close contact" and have made recent progress towards a deal. This is a change of tone since, well, this entire offseason. Wallace was believed to be asking for an exorbitant salary, and there was very little optimism a deal could get done.

The two sides are expected to keep a "steady pace" in talks until camp starts. Wallace remains unsigned after receiving a restricted free-agent tag this offseason for $2.72 million. We'd be surprised if he showed up to camp on time without a new contract.

The theory this offseason is that the Steelers would eventually have to make a choice between Wallace and Antonio Brown, like they once did with Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress. (Nice decision there.)

If the Steelers could lock up Wallace long-term this offseason, that would give them a lot of time to get Brown under contract before he's an unrestricted free agent in 2014.

The Pittsburgh Steelers cut offensive tackle Johnathan Scott on Thursday, which frees up some cap space to spend on Wallace.

Keep workin on it! :herewego:

http://goo.gl/ZhHBS

20. MDSteelersfan

MDSteelersfan Member

Nov 2, 2011

WHOOO HOOOO!!!!!! :towel: :-D :towel:

21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011

I like what I'm hearing and hope that this all works out. I do value what Wallace brings to the table as a receiver and, like I have said before, I think he has a lot of potential to fill yet.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Omar Kahn is a tough, but fair negotiator, thank goodness for the Steelers.
    I do not know the cap numbers or where this signing money will come from (where is
    Del when you need him). I am afraid Mike wallace may want more than what the Steelers
    are going to offer him.With Antonio Brown and Manny Sanders and Jericho Cotchery I would say
    the Steelers hold all the cards in this negotiation?

23. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Word is the Steelers and Wallace have made progress and may be close on a deal.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

does close count in wr's? i thought that was horse shoes and hand granades? :) :roflmao: just kiddin steel, thats good news. :cool:

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

And drive inn theatres!