1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers optimistic on new Mike Wallace deal before training

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Re: Steelers optimistic on new Mike Wallace deal before trai

I'm not sure how they think that since everything I've heard is they're not even talking... but I hope I'm wrong.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

hopeful they will get something done it says. sounds like not much has changed. thats ashame. :cool:

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I think that's because they aren't even attempting to negotiate. They probably believe once they really dig into this thing that they will come to an agreement.

5. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Maybe you have heard wrong?

6. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I have heard this statement a bit more lately... I like the sound of it.

Since it is usually the Steelers policy to expect players to come to camp before renegotiating a long term deal or new contract, do you think Wallace will come to camp anyway? It sounds like he is still unwilling to sign his tender, so that makes me wonder if he understands that this in not the way the Steelers generally do business and trying to get into a power struggle with the Steelers does not have good results?

I do believe and hope that a deal will be done before camp but I still want to know what you think.

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

i read an article saying wallace is optimistic a deal will get done by camp. Sounds like they are closer ten we know and that is pretty much the steelers way.

8. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I was watching SportsCenter yesterday and they had a headline about something Steelers related that looked to maybe be about Wallace (they were talking several other signings and non-signings yesterday), but as it was dropping down that list on the side (where you see what the next topics will be) it disappeared and they never got back to it. BTW, I have seen that happen many times on those shows, the upcoming topic suddenly disappears before they get to it. ?????

9. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011

I just read in today`s paper about several other teams signing some of their previously franchised players, to long term contracts, and all of them mentioned that it happened before Monday`s deadline to do so.
    I didn`t know there was a deadline yesterday, to sign,or not sign the tender offer, but that was how I read it.
    It sounded like if a deal wasn`t done by yesterday, the players had to accept the tender, or sit out.
    I looked a little bit before coming here, but saw no news of us signing Wallace to anything, so i am guessing he either has to play this season for the offer we tendered him, or hold out. I don`t see the point of holding out, if a deadline has passed, to sign anything other than the tender.
    What am I missing?
    Any news on what`s going on with him?

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i think the tender time had already passed. at least the time where anyone else can get him. he didn't sign it and the steelers could start taking money off the original tender. (they already said they wouldn't do that). he can sign the tender or get a new contract now. that's it. those other guys signed are free agents being held by a franchise tag. wallace is restricted, they are not. wallaces only course of action now , if he wants to , is to hold out until the first 10 games are played and sign the tender. 6 games equal a season. then he becomes a free agent. we could then use the franchise tag on him paying the average of the top 5 players at WR. :shrug: :cool:

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

The deadline yesterday was for players who were franchise tagged, not for restricted free agents to sign their tender. In short, yesterday had nothing to do with Wallace. :)

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Wallace is in this for the money...Wallace has a number he thinks he is worth...The Steelers have a number that they think Wallace is worth...

The 2 are to far apart ,I expect a trade about midway thru camp....Unfortunately it will probably be a 3rd. rounder or so....Oh well,I guess it is what it is.....

13. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I expect the deal to get done in the next week.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

They are all in it for the money PWP. If Red has a monster season, do you think he will play for peanuts when it's time for his big payday?

15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011

If Red has a monster season he will give money back to the Steelers because he is so grateful they gave him a chance, right PWP? I suppose he should give money to Mendy too because without his injury Red wouldn't see nearly as much field time. As for Wallace, and understand I like the guy, but hasn't he realized that he isn't worth what he thinks he is worth, yet? I think the guy is a heck of a receiver and will get better, Fitz better I'm not sure, but better and maybe one day soon he can try this all over again with more favorable results.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I think Redman will have that monster year and I think the Team will offer him a fair contract.....I think Brown will have a monster year and the Team will offer him a fair contract as well......Both of them will sign IMO....I think they both Love the game more than Wallace and I think both of them are more loyal to the Steelers than Wallace.......

Some guys will take less than fair market value to stay with the Team they love ,and some guys wont.......We have a history of not paying the WR spot huge contracts and I am sure Wallace is aware of that....

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

Hmmm. Loving the game and sticking it out with a team who you feel aren't paying enough/utilising you properly/developing your career etc. are two separate things, of course. However, I have no idea what Wallace's reasons are for the delay in contracts. It could be some of those things. It could be none of those things. It could be - and perhaps far more likely - entirely on the shoulders of the agent.

This is very true, and something that both Wallace's people and the Steelers should be bearing in mind. At the same time, there have been a fair few changes recently in approach. Our current crop of receivers are really what gives us the potential to be explosive on offense. We have great RB depth, a potentially amazing line, and, of course Ben... that makes us very good. But having Wallace, Brown and Sanders lining up gives us the fireworks. This is also something that Wallace's people and the Steelers are no doubt bearing in mind.

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Yep and to keep the Trio together then Wallace must sign at less than fair market value...If he gets the big deal I believe he wants then we loose Brown,Sanders, and probably 2 or 3 more players we wont be able to afford to sign....

IMO the Team has the mark of about 6 Mil a year,this would allow for 4 or 5 Mil a year for Brown.....If they can get them both for that I think they tender Sanders and we have all 3 for around 11 to 13 Million next season,again all this rides on the Wallace deal....

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.ac ... 4981480910

A interesting article....Heck if money is the problem then the Dallas situation might be the perfect solution....As the article states the Cowboys have the money they probably really have the need now,,,,we might could get that 1st. rounder from them now.....

20. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I don't understand why the media never mentions cap issues when it comes to these big contracts. Every time a guys signs a big contract all the media does is endore it and say the player deserved "to get paid." Since many of these guys are ex-players, I guess that is to be expected somewhat.

What is seriously lacking is any discussion of cap room and what the other players on the teams should get. I think that one of the major reasons the Steelers stay competitive is they tend to spread the money around anongst all the contributers. This does not allow for the mega-contracts for skill players, but keeps the foundation of the team together.

What is going to happen in New Orleans when it comes time to sign all the other players in the upcoming years? Now Brees makes more than the rest of the offense combined. They already are losing some of their O-line. I am sure when Jimmy Grahm is up for contract negotiations, he will want paid at least Gronk money. Sproles may want more, the reciever will want more, etc. Soon they will most likely find themselve with a great QB but not a great team.

All players cannot be top paid players. I don't understand why so many players put massive salaries above everything. Fact is that nearly all these even moderately paid skill players make more in one year than the average Joe makes in a lifetime. What most of these guys make in a year or two, anyone with any sense could be set for life.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Doubtful, plus doesn't the cap go way up in 2014 because of the TV deal?

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Some athletes take less money, doesn't happen often though. Especially when it's your first big pay day and NFL careers are so short.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

No the Cap wont go away ,it will go up about 10 to 15 Mil a year IMO....Even if it goes up 20 Million we still will have to be careful to get our guys under contract and stay under the Cap......If Sanders has 2 big years then Sanders would be in line for a contract in 2 seasons so lets speculate a huge deal for Wallace a nice deal for Brown and a fair one for Sanders....Wallace 10 Mil,Brown 8 Mil, and Sanders for about 5 Mil or so a year....That's all the new Cap money gone on 1 position.....As stated we need to get the Wallace Contract down if we our to have any chance of keeping all 3 WR'S.....

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I didn't say the cap "will go away" I said it will go way up. More then the 10-15 mil you're speculating, if reports are to be believed. In any rate, we have no idea what Wallace is asking for but it can't be too bad if word coming out of the Steelers camp is they are optimistic a deal will get done.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

we could very well sign wallace and next year tender both brown and sanders. wallace would only cost 2.7 mil this year. will they pay 8 mil and 5 mil to brown and sanders next year or wait for harrison and troys and a few others contracts to expire first at the end of 2013, knowing the cap will go up in 2014? bens due a ton next year too. they tendered wallace for 2.7 because they could. they could have given him the franchise tag for 9+ mil. and they didn't. yet a couple of years ago they franchised max starks for a few cajillion dollars two years in a row. i'm sure they are making a fair offer, but they are watching their pocketbook too, don't think they aren't. the 6 mil they will save this year from a tender or the franchise tag can be saved next year in case they have to franchise wallace and give the other two tender sheets, saving a ton of money. :cool: