1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers one of 4 teams over the salary cap

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerNDC, Feb 14, 2012.

1. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75701 ... om-improve

Highlights: Steelers (11.3), Giants (7.3), Raiders (11), and Panthers (9.6) are over the cap. The steelers lead the league in being over the cap. We also have one of the most solid teams so that makes sense

Playoff teams with cap space: Bronocs (50), 49ers (39), Falcons (30), and Pats (20). The Pats being 20mill UNDER the cap really sucks for us. There are a lot of big strong WRs in free agency this year and the Pats can easily afford to overpay and pick one up.

2. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It seems were always over the cap? I wish,for once,we would be under it?Hopefully with the cuts this year,We'll be fine
    with the cap next year? It sucks the Pats are always under the cap? What gives?

3. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Even if we had the money the Steelers don't spend moeny with the old washed up free agents. We draft ours and try to keep them. I think its more of a gamble witht eh big named expensive free agents then taking hte young guys. That said it would be nice to get a middle of the pack free agent like Farrior or even da Bus.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    we should be around 122 now , if we cut hampton (5,8) ward (4) a.smith (2,1) foote(3) will allen (1,2)and kemo (3,6) we should be around 102

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    its funny with all this talk about being over the cap. some fans always looked at the rooneys as cheap because they didnt spend on big free agents. my how the mood has changed

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well I for one still think they are cheap

7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Why?

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That seemed to be more during the 90's, they seem to pony up for their big talent now. Which is why we are over the cap. Also, don't forget, until Ben came along they didn't have to spend alot on their QB's.

9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The Steelers were never cheap...they just paid their own....They were always right up close to the cap....Instead of giving a FA 100 million...they would sign 10 of their guys to 10 mill contracts.

HACK

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It just goes to show everybody that the Steelers have never been cheap,
    They are always up against the cap, Why you ask, because they are fair to ALL
    players playing for them. You ask why you never hear of STEELER players bitching
    about who is getting paid on there team, thats because they all get paid fairly.
    This is one of the reasons I love my hometown team, the owners are fair and get quality people to work for them.Players included!

11. mort159

mort159 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Link to the 2012 Steelers Cap

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/st ... -contract/

When looking at our cap, i really don't see a way we get a deal done with Wallace this year and then Brown and Sanders next year. I think the franchise tag for wallace is out of the question. If we tender him with the first, i think someone is going to take him. I'm not opposed to getting a 1st for him, because with the way we draft in the 1st we could get 2 solid player for the future. Also, i'd rather keep Brown and Sanders and i think they they will be cheaper. Plus i'm not sure how great Wallace will be once he loses a little speed later in his career.

Some other moves to be made are...

Possible cuts (approximate savings in Millions)-Hampton (5), Colon (4.5),Hines (4), ]Kemo (3.5), Farrior(3), Foote(3), Scott (2.2), Aaron Smith (2), Shuisham (1.6), Allen (1.2)

I anticipate a couple more restructures or extensions. I read an article in the off season that Ben would probably get extended and it could save around 9 mill.

12. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm assuming you are being sarcastic, bsfky. The Rooneys spend MORE than the NFL tells them they are allowed to spend and work things out year to year. I wonder, for those who really DO think they're cheap, how you expect them to spend even MORE money.

Hmmmmmm