1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Need a Center, Part Two

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Dec 11, 2021.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i say we get rid of turner at right guard. he's not too good. when dotson returns, he should go to right guard and leglue should remain at left guard. i think that would help shore up the middle and help the run game. :cool:

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They might need a new center, but I don't think it has to be their first choice, Humphrey lasted until late second round in the last draft. If the center from Iowa was on the board for their pick, it would be hard for them to pass on him though.

4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think green sucks too lol

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Either Kendrick Green rebounds this season or some tough decisions lie ahead. As I have stated before, this 2022 Offensive Line class is simply a class that is too difficult to ignore. Having the best five lineman on the the field is paramount as that increases a team's chances of winning.

Sadly... regarding centers... it is Tyler Linderbaum or bust. Either the Steelers get lucky enough to nab him or he is long gone. I have to finish up my Top 32 Big Board but, for my money, Tyler Linderbaum is a Top 5 player in the class; regardless of position.

6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

Has a center ever been drafted top 5??

We have a good prospect at left tackle in Moore. I think Chuks keeps getting better at RT. I had high hopes for Dotson and as said earlier Turner needs to go!

Maybe we can find some help in FA along with the draft !!

Cajun

7. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Yep, they could sign a vet FA n or draft one

They'll have the $$ to get multiple upgrades in FA along OL DL N possibly CB or ILB

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

To answer your first question, no. No Center has ever been drafted in the Top 5 in the Modern NFL; also known as the AFL/NFL Merger. However, in the 100+ year history of the NFL? Highest Center ever selected was Bob Johnson, a Center from the University of Tennessee. What team was he selected on?! The Cincinnati Bengals; the second pick overall in the 1968 NFL Draft per NFLDraftHistory.com. Dan Currie of the Green Bay Packers is the next highest; pick 3 overall in the 1958 NFL Draft; hailing from Michigan State. Bob Pellegrini of the Eagles would be the next highest at pick number four in the 1956 Draft out of Maryland.

** Now... technically speaking, Chuck Bednarik was the highest Center ever selected; 1st pick overall in 1949 by the Eagles. However, he also played linebacker and was the very last of the two way position football player the NFL used to be at that point in time. As such, I personally do not count him towards this list.**

As for the rest of the Offensive Line, I currently still have my concerns and worries. Moore has been more inconsistent than consistent while Chuks has shown little to no development at all. As for FA?! Not many options there. Cam Robinson, Chuks himself, Germain Ifedi and Terron Armstead are more or less who you have. Realistically speaking, I can see the team opt for going to find Guards in FA due to the better amount of talent there..... but I use said term talent loosely here. Brandon Scherff is clearly the biggest prize... but at age 30 though? How much will he have? Ethan Pocic would be my next personal choice. Dan Feeney would be another option... though again, this all remains to be seen.

Overall and, as stated before, getting the best five on the field is paramount. How the team will accomplish this is another question.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Next draft is looking good for linebackers. Potentially a higher talent at that position in round one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Green is another in the long list of player decisions where the Steelers thought they were smarter than everyone else.

How many times have they tried with DBs, Well this guy never played corner before but don't worry we believe we can convert him. Stop drafting players that you want to play a different position than most of their college career.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep!!!

Even better? Nakobe Dean is exactly what the doctor ordered for the Steelers should the team decline Bush's fifth year option; a reality that is likely to happen sooner than later. Dean is one of the most instinctive, explosive and intellectually gifted players in the entire class; the best overall among Linebackers. I understand that being 6 ft tall and only 225lbs is going to scare off some people but Matt Milano from the Buffalo Bills, Roquan Smith of the Bears, Eric Kendricks of the Vikings and even Deion Jones of the Falcons are all counter arguments to the paradigm that Linebackers need to be a certain height to get things done. Yes, Dean's size is a question mark for some teams but his athletic ability, instincts, football IQ and leadership skills are not to be underestimated.

• Like Like x 2
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would take Devin Lloyd over Dean, they probably wouldn't want another undersized ILB after taking Bush.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Perhaps but history is not on Devin Lloyd's side here. Outside of Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh has not spent a First Round Pick on a PAC 12 Defender in its history. Troy was the first and for good reason. Devin Lloyd is a great player but I am not sure he is someone that the Steelers would actively pursue given their lack of interest in the PAC 12 as a whole anyway. In addition, size is not too much of a problem like it used to be a decade ago. In addition, Dean has played in the SEC and against more ranked competition than Devin Bush ever did at Michigan; a conference long known for sending god knows how many players into the NFL on a yearly basis; First Round Picks at that.

Pardon the cliche but do not sell Dean short. He is a cultural changer at that position. Even with players like Derion Kendrick, Tykee Smith and even Jordan Davis, the buck stops with Nakobe Dean. Remove him from this historically great Georgia Defense and the results are much different.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dean didn't do anything when Alabama was kicking Georgia's ass in the SECCG. Lloyd has the better size, and he was the PAC 12 DPOY.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still do not know why Banner has fallen so far off the Radar.

The Dotson rumors were true about his extended layoff this offseason, so maybe he can rebound this next offseason.

I don't see another 1st round pick as a center though.

I see a 1st round CB in our future with I am assuming a new Defensive Coordinator to hopefully be the guy that tells the Steelers staff who to pick in the draft.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How many times did they?

My gray cells aren’t what they used to be.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Could be. But historically there is only a 15% chance you will get a good one. Odds are better at LB, S or any OL. All of which we need.

Go with the highest potential impact player available.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I couldn't tell you either but I feel like in the Colbert times there's at least 10.

19. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Green was one of my guys in the draft but I also said only 2 or 3 guys were ready to start start this year. Creed, Dickerson and maybe Myers.. everyone else needed time

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The entire Georgia Defense was not either. For that matter, among the players Nick Saban would have game planned against, Dean and Davis were top priority overall. One game does not make a player horrible; Championship or otherwise. For that matter, Dean won the Butkus Award; an award that has more hits in the NFL Draft than misses. Regarding the Pac 12 DPOY... fair enough. However, not a lot of great names from said list sans Thibodeaux.... and maybe Noah Sewell.

Overall, regarding Lloyd, again, I would like him also as I believe he would be a better fit. That said, history is against the Steelers picking him due to the conference. Realistically, the only defensive players from the Pac 12 that Colbert has ever taken since 2000 were Brian Allen (a 5th Rounder from Utah) and Troy. That is it. For that matter, there is a reason why so many Defensive Players have been taken in the SEC since 2010. It is, without a doubt, the toughest conference to play in the NCAA FBS I. No exceptions. Sure, other Conferences like the Big 10 or even the Pac 12 will have great players every now and then but the SEC dwarfs in comparison.

In short?! I am not saying Devin Lloyd is not worthy of being a Steeler. I am just saying that the likelihood of him donning the Black 'n' Gold is very slim.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Getting back on the center talk though, I really wish that Colbert would at least GIVE Iowa a chance. Seriously though, what would turn Colbert away from a player like Tyler Linderbaum? As far as Centers go, say hello to the most complete Center in a very long time.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Given the fact that Butler is likely on his way out, I would imagine Teryl Austin gets the job as he has had DC experience before. That said, I would rather prefer the team outsource their next DC hire as new ideas would not hurt. I understand why the team has not and I do believe in continuity and familiarity among coaching. That said, trying a new personnel member not from the organization cannot be this big of a risk.

Of the two though, I expect Austin to take over.

23. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Green appears to be in over his head at center right now. I would like to see what he can do at guard though before writing him off entirely. It's possible he'll make a good guard. Not everyone's cutout for playing center, which is fine. I wish the Steelers would experiment with him at guard this season though. If he looks good and we can find a center in the draft, that's two birds with one stone.

People also need to realize he's a rookie who played a whopping three games at center in college... I'm not really sure what the Steelers were thinking here, expecting him to come in and essentially learn how to play a new position and start from day 1. I don't get it.

24. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    For one thing, his shotgun snaps completely suck. Turnovers ready to happen.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Bama was killing Georgia through the Air. Deep. They weren't gouging them with the run. Also I want 2 see Him in the playoffs before I make my final thoughts on it.