1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers most overrated in 2018?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, May 20, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nfl-teams-heading-into-the-2018-season#slide5

I actually agree with this list, except for Houston, who I think is a very legit contender with Watson and Watt being back. Their schedule is pretty tough though, with the AFCS good from top to bottom (assuming Luck is finally back).

And although I agree that Pgh is deserving to be on this list, that does not mean they can't still make a lot of noise; it just all depends on how the cookie crumbles. That's what makes the NFL fun, unlike the NBA.

• Like Like x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Most of the time I pay little attention to such things this early in the process. As I have stated numerous times recently, there was a board member that was practically wetting himself over how good the Raiders appeared on paper after their off season moves last year and the draft with Carr being healthy. The Raiders finished out of the playoff hunt, fired a respectable head coach and went after a Big name coach on reputation alone. So at this point of the process they can't be sure who will still be on teams in the coming months, what freak injuries can happen in training camp and the start of the regular season or how teams will gel or implode. My view is if they want to doubt this early and throw shade, Bring it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Agree to a point that they were not a 13-3 team as the defense,especially towards the end of the season was not very good and enough of a liability to keep them from advancing further in the playoffs.They did win a lot of close games or lose(Bears) against inferior teams.Also a plus on their side was limited season ending injuries except one pretty significant one in Shazier.I really think though( maybe a little bias) that with a few adjustments on the defensive side of the ball with the addition of new coaches a few new free agents and hopefully draft choices they are good enough for the seventh!11-5 and a Super Bowl
    Championship will make me happy!Call me a homer or delusional but I definitely think they are capable of doing just that!The thing that bothers me a little is how lucky we were with the injury situation last year and can we be lucky enough to avoid a few major players from going down which is mostly just bad luck.

4. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I agree with everything you said, but I have no problem with prognostications this early as, to me, that's all part of the fun. Same thing with the draft: some moan that you can't possibly grade it one day (or 1 year) after the event, but I say, "go ahead" and then we can see who was right or wrong as we go. If we only stick to in-season discussion, we will be pretty board from Jan-Aug and sports talk would be dead half the year.

As far as the Raiders, I am NOT convinced they will be a contender this year; much of Gruden's head coaching career was very flawed. He came into a Tampa team that had one of the best D's of all time and rode that horse. After he had to make it on his own, he was FAIL, as his penchant for adding lots of old dudes hurt him, and it appears he might be doing the same thing again (Jordy Nelson, Dough Martin, etc.). But, we will see.

To me (for somewhat selfish reasons) I think the most anticipated element is with the Pats: Are they ready for a fall? Is there a fissure internally that will bring them down? If so, the Steelers have a more realistic shot at making it to the Super Bowl.

5. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Yea, I agree. And, even though they had the time and free agency/draft, I'm not sold they actually fixed the rush D. Even before RS went down, they were still pretty soft vs. the rush, and, as we know, come playoffs, Jags ran down our throats and laughed at us. And our fix was....add a mid-tier free agent ILB, draft _NO_ ILB and add a few safeties? That's gonna fix it? I wanted an addition at NT too, but not much there either.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Folks the Steelers are a championship team only thing holding us back

would be injuries and Coach Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    You GOT to throw in the D, basing it on last season, and their unwillingness to add some ILB and NT talent as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Team is soft. We are paper champions until proven otherwise.

We have the best trio on offense but gets neutralized quite a bit.

I’m excited for the future though and I like to believe we are headed in the right direction.

I trust in Colbert, tomlin, Rooney

9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    So people want to claim the Steelers are overrated. On the flip side of the coin people complain when the Steelers have close games with "inferior" opposition. That stance seems like a difficult sale.

I don't believe the Steelers are more talented than the opposition they face. Every team in the league has the talent to compete. People that don't realize that by now may never understand the game.

At the end of the day the Steelers are good enough to compete with any team in the league. Unless injuries strike that means they have just as good a shot at reaching the Superbowl as any team.

10. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    2 points: Browns 1-31 for 2 seasons. Not very good.

Steelers can't beat Pats unless something changes.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There will always be plenty to talk about in the off season leading up to camp without indulging these types of articles. Case in point I think some of your posts about Edmunds and his ability to cover or the reports of him taking bad angles isn't taking into account how they envision him helping out this defense. You seem to have him pegged as the guy who will be used a center fielder in single high safety or over the top coverage in a Tampa-2 or more traditional 2 safety play but what I am hearing is the concern on 3rd down and manageable where the Steelers have had trouble getting off the field where teams are exploiting slower LBers in the middle of the zones, mismatches on slot receivers running drag routes or quick slants, TE's in that soft spot of the zone or dump offs to backs in that 3rd and 7 to third and short area. Edmunds is going to play in that area near the box covering those short routes and hopefully bringing guys down short of the sticks.

12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Steelers were 7-2, not 8-2 last year. And of the 3 of 19 teams since 2006 that didn't have a worse record, the 2011 Steelers were one of them. So going by this analysis, if any team can overcome the odds, its the Steelers.

13. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    As I am sure you know, offenses can force a D to cover players who can end up going deep or run routes the defender has to cover that is a bad matchup, and I fear when offenses see us trying to use TE the way it seems they are planning, they will easily create matchups they can exploit a guy who can't cover. gets burnt deep, can't track ball in the air and takes bad angles. Do you recall how NE killed us when we had Gildon attempt to cover Try Brown? It was a joke. In today's NFL, you need safeties who can cover, even deep; it's a matter of finding the right matches. We have to face the Saints, Bucs, Pats, Chiefs, Raiders, SD, and Broncos. I fear what a S who can't cover deep will get punked vs. those teams. A TE who can run deep seam routes will kill us.

14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What happened in the past two seasons won't matter for this up coming season. Things change every season. Eventually things will change for the Browns. Could this be the year?

IMO the Steelers pretty much defeated the Pats but were robbed by a bad call.

15. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Things do change every season, but since 1999, things have rarely changed in Cleveland, other than changing QBs, coaches and GMs like others change their underwear. However SOME day things got to change there - even the Cubs won a title after 100 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wish I could get the minutes I wasted reading that, back. :facepalm:

Steelers, Texans and 49ers will all be in SB contention.

Steelers win the division if for no other reason that they don't have any competition.
    Houston will beat out Jags who are putting too much faith in Bortles
    49ers have the hardest rd to a division title, don't think they will pull that off but I expect minimum 10 wins from them and a playoff berth.

17. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

Browns schedule for them is brutal. I would be shocked if they won 3 games. Not changing for them this year..........

18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The Steelers will win the division again this year. We're probably not going 13-3 again, but you never know. The Steelers have a pretty good team. After our Jaguar performance, my concern is the defense.

The Steelers brought in some new faces and got younger in the secondary. So I'm optimistic, but it's yet to be seen.

The pass rush really needs to be there this year from the front guys. I think they have the skill. Just need to get it done and play with greater intensity.