1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers looking at Marcus Peters

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Feb 10, 2023.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    It might have been diarrhea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Ok so you're that guy? Obviously it was misspelled.

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He would be the best CB on the Team just like Haden was..We need a guy who can play man and we also need a FS with true speed and reaction time... I don't see an elite FS in this draft as not to many Teams even play Single High in College ..Maybe a few CB'S who could be converted to FS ?

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Looking for Minkah replacements?

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Sign him! Sign everyone!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Thanks for getting this started.
    Time to create Its own thread again.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Peters just got paid 3 years 42 mill now being a UFA. So the front office is going to break the bank for a 30 year old corner? Oh please tell me he would come here for a Steeler type deal :facepalm:

Sign Sutton and draft a corner within the first 3 picks.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No we need to replace Edmunds. Minkah is listed as FS but he is great in the box as a force, he blitzes very well, and the role I like him in best is as a Robber about 10 yards off the ball in the middle of the field..From there he takes away all kinds of crossing routes ,drags, curls, slants and can even pick a guy up and protect the seams and deep sideline passes..To run him as a Robber you need a FS in the Single High look Edmunds is of no use in that regard..Then if you get that hybrid LB/Safety who is good at coverage you can show single high and get to Cover 2 or Cover 3 post snap fairly easy with match ups for man v man and part man and part zone concepts as well .. QB'S are just getting so good you just can't keep tipping your hand before the snap ..The above way is a simple way to keep from doing that ..

• Like Like x 1
  9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Ah so you're switching Minkah to SS and bringing in a FS. I don't really like the idea, but if that's what you want to see then adding a FS would be necessary. I actually like him the least in that robber role. I think it takes away so much of what he's great at (reading the offense and making a break on the ball for a pick) and relegates him to covering a lot of TE's, RB's, and slot WR's in man coverage. Minkah is the best ballhawk safety in the league, I do like moving him around some since he's so good.... but I think a more traditional FS approach is his best place. He makes too many plays as the lurking FS to pretty much relegate him to a lot of man coverage or moving him into the box and taking him out of coverage schemes. If we go that route, we should just play Edmunds as the "in the box" guy and Minkah at FS. Edmunds is much better at man coverage and is good in the box both in run support and as a blitzer.

10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Marcus Peters is a 30 year old CB. There are always a lot of these 30+ CB's out there as free agents every year.

Don't compare the Minka deal or even the Joe Haden deal to signing a veteran 30 something CB. These older free agent CBs are not a proven commodity as you never know when their abilities are going to fall off the face of a cliff.

Right now, Peters is probably looking for a 4 or 5 year deal with a new team. Every player out there thinks they will be able to play till their 40.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pass, he seems to get injured quite often, and he won't come cheap spend that money on Sutton.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d be very surprised if they signed Peters. As others have said, pay Sutton, keep Wallace, draft a young CB on day one or two. They might look to bring William Jackson back as well if they can sort out his contract. They still have Killibrew, Maulet and Norwood under contract for 2023 as well.

I don’t see where Peters fits, bigger needs elsewhere

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pierre should be back as well as the 4th CB, they should cut Witherspoon and Jackson, that alone saves them 16 million in cap space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Witherspoon getting cut is a given, he is a liability on the field.

Jackson won’t be coming back on his current deal and will either get cut or take a significant pay cut, that’s what I meant by sort out his contract. If they can get him back at a more realistic number he may be worth keeping around. He has had a very up and down career but he was a capable starter not that long ago and he has only just turned 30. They may get lucky and get a good season or two from him.

I forgot about Pierre, he will be cheap to bring back on a RFA tender. Not sure he will ever be a starter but definitely good depth

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No Thanks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We go through this every year and yet it surprises some people

First the Steelers will try to fill in areas of need with ok fair priced FA

That way we are not needing to reach in the draft

Then they can draft BPA and hopefully these guys are upgrades

Then if there are still gaps they try to fill them in with remaining FA or guys wit a few years left in the tank who get cut in camp

Rinse and repeat

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I saw an article yesterday that said Sutton had his contract voided because of the fad of voidable years that went on a couple of years ago. He was one of several like Tuitt and Ben who had phantom years added to their contracts to massage the cap. It didn't matter because most of the players aren't on the team anymore but Sutton's contract is voided and the money is converted to dead money now.

18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I believe sutton’s contract doesn’t void until next friday

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I did a quick look, we signed Haden at 28 or 29, not a traditional FA pick up, but signed after he was cut by the Browns. He fell in our laps, gave a couple of good years, and while he still made some decent plays the last year you could see his play had dropped off considerably. Peters at 30 is at those crossroads. Very few players have continued to play at the previous high level once they hit that age. Not saying he cannot be a force, but thats the business side of the game. If you are one step away from a SB team, you have the depth, but still need a guy who can bring good game, then you might take that leap..knowing you are throwing future CAP accounting toward that one or 2 year window. We are not there, and he is not that guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Those contracts void in the days after the Super Bowl usually. Sutton’s dead money will be 2.1m when his deal voids according to overthecap

22. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    To pull out a little bit, I don't think this kind of trade/signing will happen until 24 or 25.

If picket keeps the arrow up, then they will go for broke on that rookie deal.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Chucktownsteeler

Chucktownsteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2022
    Thanks, but no thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'd rather see Cam Sutton return.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I'd imagine that is the route that both Kahn and Weidl take as well. Seriously doubt they gun for Peters. For that matter, plenty of CBs in this draft with tendencies similar to Peters but have greater potential. I still want Gonzalez but will not be shocked if Porter Jr is the pick. Biggest Wild Card for me remains Brian Breese.

• Like Like x 1