1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers listening on trade options for Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Sep 23, 2018.

1. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    So they can give him more money for this year than they have to. They can't extend him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The Bills would be insane to up anything for a rental player like Bell. Sorry Kevin, we'll keel our draft picks thank you!

3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Who's to say a team will offer the steelers anything when they know they can get him for free in free agency. And how do you know bell doesnt want a chance to PICK who he goes to..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Nothing less then a 1st or playmaker on defense. Price goes up in the off-season.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I just don't see it happening. They would have to get a decent player or a high draft pick for it to be worthwhile. I can't imagine they would actually get a first-round pick. I'd be happy if some team was foolish enough to surrender a second rounder.

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Price goes to zero in the off season. You think the Stillers will tag Bell again?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Price will go to nothing. Steelers will not franchise tag him again.

8. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    The only way I see this working out from the organization stand point...we aim for a high draft pick...I.e. dolphins 1st round for bell and a pick. Like a 4th...

9. Pimply Dave

Pimply Dave Active Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Even if you only get a freaking backup defensive back, trade him. Know why? Because most backup defensive backs in this league are better than any of the four clowns the Steelers are running out there right now.

10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I believe the Steelers will tag Bell. They have to. That way they can negotiate compensation from whatever team signs him. No way they just let him walk and get nothing IMO. This Bell saga is far from over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Transition tag?

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers own the rights to Bell by placing the tag on him. They absolutely can trade him.

A team that acquires him can increase the amount of the tag to entice Bell to sign. At the very least, they’d have a premiere back for the rest of the season. I imagine some teams that are legitimate playoff contenders might like that idea. Plus he’s an automatic draw at the ticket booth.

As far as what a team might give up for him, it could be a condition type deal. 3rd pick if they can’t work out a long term deal and 3rd and 1st rd pick if they do.

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ok, suppose they tag him next yr. franchise tag locks up $21 mil, maybe transition locks up something less, but locks up cap money that could be used on D if is not 'committed' to a player you know or hope not to be here on opening day 2019. You can trade him or try, but you'll get low balled. And who to say that Bell will be less of a pain in the ass negotiating with his new team. The Rooneys might be getting used to the drama, but I doubt it. If the Bell issue is unresolved come draft day next yr, I'll be shocked.

14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    He hasn't shown up and no communication. It's over. There's a Rooney rule alright... BELL IS ALREADY GONE
    We've lost arguably the best RB in the league, maybe even in recent times. Ego, diva, self importance whatever, makes little difference now.
    It's a huge loss for us. Yes, we have Conner & Bell's an arse but know and accept what we're losing. It must be done, business gets ugly but just think how much uglier it will get lining up against him in a game that matters.

There's a price you pay.

15. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    That’s why I didn’t suggest it. ;)

If you look at how things played out for Demarco Murray, playing a high-touch-count season worked to his detriment.

If he’s traded, it’s only for this franchise-tagged season/salary. The new team cannot extend him or sign him to a multi-year contract until the 2018 season is over.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Thomas is in the last year of his contract, he will be looking for a big pay day.

17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Unless Bell sits out this season completely, his tag salary next year would be around $25 million.
    Steelers stand first in line to hold his rights, maybe. Until he signs the tender, they don’t actually own those rights in any useful regard.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So you tag him again and count 20 million against your cap for a player who obviously doesnt want to play for your team and will hold 20 million in cap hostage on your team for the season while also being a distraction. They're not tagging him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Price won't go up in the offseason because he won't be their's to deal after the season. Steelers will have a chance to sign him to long term deal before they have to decide whether to release him for tag him again, and at a price tag of something like 23 million, they won't tag him a 3rd time.

If Bell isn't traded, he will sign around week 10. But I wouldn't trust him to give 100% for us. Trading him if possible is the best option IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Exactly and if he sits out again why would Pitt count 25 million against their cap for a guy that could holdout again till week 10.

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They cant trade him until he signs the tag.. he ultimately can hold out until week 10 which is AFTER the trade deadline.

22. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Not 100% true. While they don't own the rights to trade him, until he signs, the Steelers own his rights and are the ONLY team he can play for. I'm not sure what happens if he doesn't sign, but I don't think that will happen, he's signing week 10, and will be active week 11.

• Like Like x 1
  23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    There are two types of franchise tags. Exclusive and non exclusive. If we use the non exclusive tag on Bell, then Bell and his agent can enter into free agency and negotiate a deal with any team they choose, just like any other free agent. Once Bell agrees to terms with a team the Steelers have the right to negotiate compensation. They will most likely end up with multiple picks as compensation. This will not cost 20 million against our cap because he will never play a down here. Tagging him ensures that when he does sign with another team we get compensated. It would be stupid for the Steelers NOT to tag Bell again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And then what if bell doesnt sign with anyone If they arent willing to give up 2 first rd picks for him, holds out to week 10 again, and causes pitt to have about 25 million in cap space locked up for a guy who is not playing until week 10? You're banking on a team giving up 2 first rd picks for bell which wont happen.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Some team is listening. Some team will trade for him. Some team will promise the big deal the rap giant wants. Please let it happen...