1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers listening on trade options for Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    If nothing else happens and Bell goes next year, don’t we get a third? So I’m guessing Colbert needs assurances that clearing Bell from the books is going to be a tangibly positive effect to accept lower than a 3rd.

That said, if I was another team I’d definitely offer low, for the reasons you gave.

This entire Bell thing is basically a no-win situation...

• Like Like x 1
  2. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I don't see anyone giving up first or second round pick or even a solid ILB/DB for a massive headache like Bell.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelers4Lyfe

Steelers4Lyfe Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    They aren’t going to trade him to a team getting a half season rental. The only trade that will be made is to a team that will sign him to a massive contract and send back a load of picks.

No team is going to get him that is not going to pay him. He will simply just not sign his tag and not accept a trade basically.

4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    They almost have to field options at this point. I think Rooney is past the point of many on this board and is over it. He's willing to lose Bell and faster is better. There's a history of the Steelers (Rooneys) unloading fast when they feel it's over.

Sad, we could use him especially now. IMO

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  5. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
  6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    It's time to move on. At this point, what does it really matter what they get? It's clear he will not show up until game 10, if at all. With this defense his presence will have little to no impact. He'll get his money somewhere else, blah, blah, good for him.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You would be estatic.

I would throw a party. No seriously, I have ten six packs of vanilla cream ale and pumpkin ale (six vanilla cream and four pumpkin). Add in some Pizza and consider it done. :)

8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I could see maybe a couple of 2's or 2 and3

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Simple. Some teams are more strapped of cash than others. If not, they will clear up cap space.

For a player like Bell, a first round pick is definitley worth the investment for teams in dire need of another "dimension".

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Thing is by franchising him they cant trade him until he signs his tag. He can essentially wait till week 10 to sign after the deadline which is week 8.

11. Steelers4Lyfe

Mar 13, 2018
    But if a team is willing to give him what he wants, money wise, there would be 0 point in doing that.

Why would he continue to sit out when he could be making the money he wants now instead of next year. It’s makes 0 sense to do that.

12. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He may do it out of spite because Pitt once again franchise tagged him knowing they wouldnt agree on a deal that he wanted.

13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    He’s not under contract they can’t trade him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I really hope this thing gets done. There has to be a team out there that would jump on this. 49ers are getting smoked again today. John Lynch and Tomlin are friends. Maybe the 49ers move in and rid us of this headache.

15. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Pittsburgh won’t tag him again next season—not for $23-$25 million. Realistically, keeping Bell means the very best they stand to get is a 3rd-round pick...as well as continuing all the negatives his situation is causing this season. If I’m alleviating those woes, I’d not offer even a third-round pick (unless I’m in a bidding war).

16. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Say he waits 10 games (11 weeks) to sign and show. He’d have forfeited ~$9MM; he’ll make ~$5.5MM. Then he gets his big contract elsewhere, something like 5yrs/$75MM with $45MM guaranteed. That’s $50.5 million guaranteed overall. Compare that to $14.5MM this season plus $10MM in up-front, guaranteed money the Steelers offered. He comes out ahead with his current course of action.

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Trade him to Redskins for Ryan Kerrigan...

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Steelers4Lyfe

Mar 13, 2018
    So you are saying Bell would screw up a potential $15 million a year deal just to spite the Steelers??

No one is that stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I could see the Skins being interested. Guice is gone for the season. AP is old and injury prone. Daniel Snyder loves to overpay guys.

20. Steelers4Lyfe

Mar 13, 2018

If he were to get traded and resign a massive contract with a new team, he’d get all of his signing bonus, plus game checks from the new team that would be more of a yearly average than the Steelers are giving.

Also, he’d be making the money now and tolling a year into whatever contract he signs.

To suggest that he’d say no to a massive contract right now is absurd. Especially since his value will go way down if he sits out an entire year of football. No one is paying him that money if he sits out all year. And if he comes back and tries to play and gets injured, he loses.

The whole reason of him not coming is to not get injured and get paid next offseason. To suggest he wouldn’t sign a massive deal if/when he is traded, makes no sense what so ever.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    whats the deal with LeSean McCoy in Buffalo? Bell would give a lot of help to Josh Allen if they take that route. Plus Pittsburgh would be giving Buffalo an added dimension in their conference games with NE. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Setting aside the headache aspect, I don't think anyone is going to give up much for a guy who wants bank and who can't be extended until after the year when he hits free agency. How much is part of a year's worth of a disgruntled and possibly out of shape Bell worth? Because that's all you are really getting by trading for him, possibly an inside track to resigning him but I don't really think so given he wants to make as much as possible. If I were a team willing to pay him I'd just wait until after the season and sign him without giving up any other assets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Ive read where the Steelers offer was $33M guaranteed.

But regardless, had he signed and showed up from day 1, then he would have made $14.5M guaranteed this year and $45M next. That's $59.5M guaranteed. He's losing $9.5M and he'll never make that back. It's so stupid, it defies logic.
    And even if his reasoning is that he's willing to forego that $9.5M to lower the risk of injury, he's still not totally eliminating it. He could very well come back for week 10 and blow out a knee in week 16, theoretically delaying his rehab by as much as 16 weeks, hurting his FA value next year. If he tore an ACL in week 16, would you sign him to a big contract in the offseason knowing that he probably wont play until mid season 2019? I doubt any GMs would do that. Not to mention, his antics are being watched by 31 other teams, and his FA value is no doubt plummeting and probably at a faster rate than the likelihood of him avoiding injury by holding out.

Never turn down current up front money. Never. It's like winning the lotto. Skip the annuity payments and take your cash NOW.

24. Steelers4Lyfe

Mar 13, 2018
    The team acquiring him is allowed to negotiate a new deal for this year.

25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014

Oh, well that $9.5 mil he'll get back as a rap star, I'm sure. :hehehe:

How does the drug testing work for his current situation? I assume, since the Steelers own his rights but he isn't under contract, he is not subject to random tests? Anyone know? He's out riding jet skis, hitting strip clubs and living the "high" life in South Beach. Another failed urine test and suspension willl really drive his next contract value up, wouldn't it? I honestly don't think this Bozo is smart enough to avoid it.