1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Limited Partners want Tomlin ousted

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Jan 16, 2018.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  2. RBloodworth1

RBloodworth1 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    If- and it’s a big if- this happens, I would hire Michigan State’s Mark Dantonio in a heartbeat. The man is cut straight from the Belichick/Saban tree, has an existing relationship with Bell, and is the perfect kind of coach for the Steeler blueprint.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Tomlin isn’t going anywhere. AR2 isn’t firing a coach that has never had a losing season. Would be totally against everything the Steelers have ever done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ugh...come on man... the Rooney's are the Rooney's for a reason, they don't panic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed! Those limited partners are usually casual fans with a wealth of money who know nada about Football, have never coached nor been coached except for John Stallworth who is still a limited partner I believe

6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    What does that have to do with anything? This wouldn't be a panic decision, there's plenty of evidence to support it. We need to stop with this notion that the Rooneys are these wise elders who always make the right decision.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    we know what we have with Tomlin. The issues that have prevented us from beating lesser opponents have been consistent. The issues of sloppy play and lack of attention to details has been consistent since day one. This would not be a knee jerk reaction. this team has under achieved in the playoffs for 7 years. That's just a fact. Losing to the packers in the SB was an upset. We were a better team then the packers. We're not seeing progress with a loaded team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Allowing our D to deteriorate as they did over the course of the season should be a wake up call to everyone
    Involved.
    Does that mean Tomlin has to go? Maybe, maybe not. But it’s obvious that there are major issues in our coaching and some heads should definitely roll.

If not expect five or six more years of “almost.” And you’ll either have to find some way to live with it or stop being a fan.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have a problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    It would hardly be a panic; it would be a well thought out reaction to inferior coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    These limited partners might as well be fans of this board with money.

Rooneys won't allow themselves to be strong armed by this.

I feel the struggles with lesser opponents and issues with focus are legit complaints but his overall body of work will prevent Art from replacing him.

12. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Tomlin is not going anywhere. He'll get a fire lit under his ass to tighten up the team, but he'll be here for years to come.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin has coached for 10 years now and he's had 9 losing seasons. And the one season he won the Super Bowl was because of solid, veteran leadership drafted and developed under Bill Cowher and Dick LeBeau. The evidence is mounting up on Tomlin and his lack of discipline and his inferior game management/situational football skills may ultimately cost him. His legacy at this point is that we've lost more games as a favorite than any team in football over the last 10 years. We've got the best offensive talent in team history and have for the last several years and we still can't make it past one and done in the playoffs. Tomlin will probably not be fired, but when 11 of the 12 Limited Partners are lobbying for your termination, your seat has officially gotten hot!

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought the first step was having your wife tell you that you have a problem?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    How are you defining "losing seasons"? The general consensus is that anything not lesser than 8-8 is "not losing".

Even with this, you still need solid coaching. This argument is played out and straight up false.

Yes, it is. He's one of the winningest coaches in the league.

In just last season's playoffs, the Steelers won two playoff games and competed in the AFCC.

I'll agree to disagree. We all get to see this the way we'd like to. Cheers! :drinks:

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers Limited Partners? = Much ado about nothing.

We're stuck with Tomlin until he wants to move on, just like Cowher did.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Agree. Some Steelers fans want Tomlin fired? Shocking. Half the Steelers fanbase says, "Hey, late bloomers. Welcome to the club."

• Like Like x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I'd like to see a change at head coach, too... but it's not gonna happen. I said the same thing about Cowher after Steelers went 6-10 in 2003.

19. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    One thing is for sure, I’ve never heard of anything like this with Pitt. It’s usually guys/gals like us tapping away at a keyboard thinking we’ve come up with the most clever thing since Wack, Jad, 108, Mus-Turd, or Blast did a few posts earlier.

20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Mularkey coached the Titans to the playoffs this year and he is no longer coach of the Titans.
    Schottenheimer coached the Chargers to the playoffs with a 14-2 record in '06 and was fired.

These are the only two recent instances (that I can recall) of a winning, playoff head coach getting the boot.

It happens, but the Steelers are not the Chargers or the Titans.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I keep staring at your Avatar hoping that Ben connects with one of those uppercuts.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    You forgot about John Fox in 2014. Denver then brought in Kubiak the next year and guess what happened?

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Love it!! No, I don't think this will result in firing him. Hopefully it will at least wake people up and show there are expectations for some change. That's why I'd like to see a new DC with head coaching experience and give him the title of Assistant HC. There needs to be someone who can shake some sense into his planning and decision making.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    So what did you think about Cowher because he choked more than Tomlin. I guess Noll sucked also. I mean all those years coaching and only 4 winning seasons. Give me a break.

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

We do. Not saying I'm on the FMTI bandwagon, but if I were Art Rooney, I'd make it abundantly clear to him that things must change and that no one is without scrutiny and immune to termination, including him. First of all, there has to be changes on the defensive side of the ball. Scoring 42 points against one of the top defenses in the league and losing because the defense couldn't make a stop ALL DAY LONG against a very mediocre quarterback and offense is unacceptable and somebody has to pay the price for that. Butler should be on a short leash and Lake and Porter should be gone. I'd also let Tomlin know that the side circus HAS TO STOP and it starts with him. Worry about preparing for the opponent next on the schedule and no one else. Tomlin, Mitchell, Bell and others all made reference to games beyond the next one on the schedule. That is inexcusable and violates a basic tenet of coaching football, showing respect for the next opponent on the schedule. Finally, if this report is true then Rooney owes it to Tomlin to let him know he's on a short leash. He needs to get the team buttoned up, focused, disciplined and ready to go in 2018. Nothing less than the Super Bowl will be acceptable with the talent level we currently have on this team, probably the best offensive talent we've EVER had.

• Agree Agree x 1