1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Interviewed Dont'a Hightower

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TwentyFourSeven, Feb 26, 2012.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm worried about this. I think Hightower is a real possiblity of being our 1st rd draft choice. I think Hightower will be a very good ILB stopping the run and even rushing the QB up the middle but what worries me is the league is drifting towards a TE underneath offense more than before. Hightowers knock is his poor pass coverage abilities. Since I feel Timmons weakest part of his game is his coverage skills I must ask can we afford TWO ILBers with poor coverage skills.

Farrior was our Leader on and off the field. He still could play ILB vs the run and going after the QB up the middle but he got cut partially due to his diminishing cover skills.

In fact, I could see Hightower slipping into the 2nd rd if NFL teams become concerned about his coverage skills. Probably not due to his football smarts and tackling abilities but stranger things have happened.

I was thinking 1st rd hightower 2nd rd Alameda Ta'amu but now I'm starting to re-think it to Best OG in the 1st and Ta'amu in the 2nd.

Cajun-

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    All good points about Hightower. His pass coverage seems to be his only weak spot... although I would say we don't know for sure that it's a week spot. I think it's more like a question mark. He did run a very good 40 time for someone his size, and a decent time overall (4.68). Not too shabby. And yes, we do need whoever takes that spot to be at least decent in coverage. Can't spend a 1st round pick on someone who comes off the field in nickel his whole career (unless it's a nose tackle!).

You know where I stand on Timmons. But I also think that most fans and more importantly the team see his coverage skills as a strength of the team, not a weakness. I'm saying that because it does affect who we get. And let's not forget, we aren't just looking to replace Farrior for a year or two. Whoever we get will ideally be there for an entire career. So whoever he is, he needs to be good in coverage, but he has to be a stud against the run. Frankly, if a guy has strong character and is willing to work and learn, I'd rather get a run stopper in Hightower's body and let him improve his pass defense than try it the other way around.

3. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Guys... If Hightower was a finished product he'd be going in the top 10. No player we get at 24 is going to be without their flaws.

I personally think that HIghtower is just the type we need next to Timmons. Someone that can be the Clark... in the Clark/Polamalu duo at linebacker... Meaning Hightower is the one that's reliable and can stay at home while Timmons flies around the field... I think they could complement one another very well.

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

But I need to see more of him.

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    A decent Scouting report on Walt's site about Hightower...

http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingr ... htower.php

The one biggest thing I've always thought (besides not liking the idea of spending another high pick on a LB) is his coverage/etc ability. If they drafted him...he'd have to be mainly the in the box, blitzer, run stopper, etc...and Timmons be the one that goes in coverage if/when needed (along with Harrison at times).