1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers have Franchise tagged Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shadowmaker, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    As for Bells injuries there isnt a back in the NFL that doesnt miss games due to injury, Bettis had a groin pull that kept him out of the last 5 games regular season in 2001 and he missed the playoffs as well because of his groin, more to the point JB had 3 major knee surgeries, and many other injuries as well, running backs just get beat up more than at any other position, it's just a given so dont expect bell to rack up a lot of 16 game seasons, his position dictates otherwise, and that is a good reason we should draft a back in the 3rd-4th or 5th rounds for insurance:

The Trib:

There are the scars Bettis has from the three major knee surgeries -- courtesy, he says, of the AstroTurf at Three Rivers -- the scoping of his ankles, the time when his groin muscles sheared off the bone and curled inside like rolls of bark on a tree.

When he holds up his fists, you can just make out the torn ligaments and ruptured muscles. There are the three ribs he broke, once against a linebacker's helmet, another time when he fell hard on a football. The cracked breastbone from his first year in LA. The shoulder he separated twice. The never-ending back and neck aches. The bruises to his brain. And a nose that seems to be permanently smeared east.

"We were playing Jacksonville. And this guy came and stuck his thumb inside, and the thumb went and hit me right on the side. Bang! My nose ended up over here," he says, his finger tracing a line God never intended nostrils to follow.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    When he doesn't have an injured groin... or is suspended for missing pee tests.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup.

Ill further add:

DeMarco Murray ran a 4.41 and had 4 runs 20 or more yards
    David Johnson ran 4.50 and had 6 runs 20 or more yards
    Melvin Gordon ran 4.52 and had 7 runs 20 or more yards.
    Bell had 4 while missing 4 games.

Only Zeke, Howard, Ajayi and Shady cracked 10 or more runs for over 20 yards among top backs and none of those guys are the dual threat that Bell is. I'll take Bells overall production over them any day.

Id also argue that runs of 20 or more yards are more a result of defensive breakdowns then speed. You SHOULDNT be able to crack off 20 yard runs frequently if the defense is doing its job.

And further still, 4.60 is the speed they use to measure up RB's. Bells 40? 4.60. No GM in the world would be able to use his speed against him in a negotiation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Hahaha..... Now that's funny !!!
    You've posted Bell's season long runs for each of his 4 seasons!

You know I've been talking almost exclusively about 2016, quoted you with that info on the 2nd page of this thread and After all I've said you still have no clue to what I'm clearly saying. Either that or you're just being argumentative which is entirely possible since that is what you do with me. I cannot remember ever you and I agreeing on anything , ever, and since you and cannot have an intelligent conversation or a legit debate I'm finished. Please don't respond to anything I post anymore.

Cajun

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Go back and read that post again, you quoted before I finished editing it.

I never responded to you in the first place. Something else you are mistaken about.

6. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

Now there's a three dollar word for you !!

Please tell me you've only read a couple post. I would really hate to think this is your conclusion after reading the entire thread.

Cajun

7. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    You're right. I read yesterday from a reporter that it was going to be the non-exclusive rights tag so I assumed it. But it turned out to be the exclusive tag. You're right.

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Move the chains, drive the ball down the field, eat up clock, wear down the opposing defense ...

Those are good things, right?

• Like Like x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Damn Cajun did I miss something I thought this was a good debate with a few of us, I don't think anyone said anything wrong man. No need for the "I'm gonna take my ball and go home" attitude. We all love the Steelers that is why we come here, you have your opinion and Blast has his and we all talk about it. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong when it comes to opinions......well except me, lol J/K. Lighten up man we are all on the same side...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    To sum up, if the franchise tag delivers a 12 million contract, he's not worth it because he doesn't have top end speed nor the TD's in 2016 that others have despite missing 4 games. Apparently his production hasn't been off the charts because we are only allowed to look at 2016, even know 2016 was pretty damn off the charts, ending with playoff rushing records in 2 straight games and reached an in season milestone of becoming the fastest RB to reach 3000 yards rushing and 1500 receiving.

Please, let me know if you come away with a different conclusion than myself, NYsteel, Diamond and the Steelers.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

..... Really?

Lack of top end speed + lack of TD = Fail?

That level of "mathematics" for the Steelers borders the path of illogical. Le'Veon Bell has done more than his fair share to help the team during his tenure. Yes, he does not have those touchdown numbers that some of us would like to see in the mold of LeGarrette Blount, but there are different backs for a reason.

As you should know Blast, I am not listing every type given your vast knowledge of the game. I will, however, respond towards your comment about reaching a different conclusion.

Pittsburgh already tried the "speed" factor with the likes of Dri Archer and Chris Rainey. How did those work out again?

For that matter, if using indicators such as speed and production are absolute necessities, then what was the point of drafting a then power back out of Michigan State for?

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I have only read a couple indeed.

My issue with said posts is the value speed in now being placed within a running back. If speed is the absolute priority as opposed to results, then Dri Archer should still be on the team or Pittsburgh should really consider Dalvin Cook; the latter of which is would be illogical.

13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yes these are good things. i dont think anybody said this is a bad thing. What was said he dosen't have breakaway speed. I dont know how else to be more clearer then that. HE IS A GREAT BACK with great vision and quickness but not great speed, period. Like i said and you said, he will move the chains, drive the ball down the field, eat up the clock, and were down opposing defense, which are all good things. But if anybody says he has breakaway speed, don't believe them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, thought it was a good debate, don't understand why it gets nasty sometimes, it's opinions and we sometimes want to debate and not argue, we all love the Steelers and want nothing but the best for them and surely want them to succeed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's not your money, so what if they pay him 12 million instead of 10 million. The cap went up to 167 million this season, the Steelers can afford it.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He doesn't, thats not being argued. Its that it doesn't hurt his game. Would he have even more production? I suppose but as I pointed out in other posts, he has broke open big runs before and his runs of 20 or more yards is in line with most other top backs. 4 this year while missing 4 games, 8 last year while only playing in 6 games and 8 the year before. I posted a video link to him breaking off an 81 yard run. So how much is his 4.60 speed really holding him back?

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I see this as a good thing. A few weeks ago, for any discussion we were only allowed to look at the Superbowl and the AFCCG.

So that's progress.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Just to side-track the discussion, now that Adrian Peterson is released, the Steelers could make Bell the highest paid running back in the NFL at $8.2 mil per year. A $10 mil a year contract will make him highest paid by more than 20%, and save us $2.14 mil against the cap for this year.

19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    It would be nice, I'm on record of hoping for a 5yr low 50mil $ deal but it'll never happen now.

Bell "let it out" he wanted 15 mil a year. His agents are going to want him signed as the highest paid RB and when a player is Fran tagged the sets the bar for future contract talks. Any discussion on a new contract now starts at 12 mil per year and will work up. Don't look for a deal less than that. 13.5 mil/yr is my prediction if he doesn't play this yr on the Tag.

Cajun

20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I guess it is how you all look at it right now. To the people who feel 12 mil is to much and we should or should have already signed him long term I say this. Are you sure he will keep his nose clean and are you will to risk 50 mil on that? People like me who agree 12 mil is a big cap hit but are willing to give that up to see if Bell does keep his nose clean. It is a gamble and I am will to gamble more on 12 mil than 50 mil, jmo.

Now the other thing is with Bell's injury history maybe we can bring that price down a bit and offer more guaranteed money, more signing bonus? Just a thought but I am fine paying the 12 mil now and play the wait and see card. Now remember I am also the guy who don't want to give Landry Jones 3 mil so I am worried about our cap space but these are 2 different cases. My point being I understand people's concern about the cap space but when healthy we are talking about the best at his position, that don't come cheap.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They have until July 5th to negotiate a long term contract. I dont think they placed the tag on him with the intent for him to play out the year under it. They want him signed long term, if Colbert is to be taken at his word.

I think they will get something done before the deadline but if they don't, at least they've guaranteed he plays here next season.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't like the fact they are still trying to decide if he needs groin surgery or not. will he be the same and will he even play much for a new contract? or the tag for that matter. :cool:

23. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm concerned as well. His explosive plays has dropped a lot post knee injury. Maybe it's a slow process and it'll be better next year and he'll gain back some speed. The Groin issue is potentially devastating because his game now is run wait cut run and he groin muscle is a key to being great at this as an ankle is to walking.

Cajun

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Colbert says a decision will need to be made soon if its not responding to treatment so he can be ready for the start of the season.

Sounds like they are on top of his situation.