1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers have Franchise tagged Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shadowmaker, Feb 27, 2017.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Scoring would be nice every once in a while!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bell isn't scoring more TDs because they weren't giving him the ball enough near the goal line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I assume you've charted the steelers entire 2016 Redzone offensive snaps?

Cajun

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nope, but I know he didn't get the ball enough in the redzone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, yards, kind of important. And, again, had 7 TD's while missing 4 games, think maybe he would have more then those 14 other RB's, most of which cant carry his jock in overall talent.

And six is right, they dont use him enough in the redzone, thats pretty obvious and talked about quite a bit.

The whole he never breaks one is silly. How many TD's do you think come from a RB breaking one? Its not that important. Apparently, Steelers agree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    He only missed 3 games.....

He had 31 attempts in the redzone which was 70% of the steelers rushing attempts.

He had 7 attempts inside the 5 which was 63% of the steelers rushing a attempts .... He scored 6 times out of these 38 attempts ....

Not horrible but not off the charts great either ...

Breaking one being silly ??? Tell that to fast willie and the trophy in the case.

I think 12mil avg salary is too high for him.... I'd be happier around 10 mil and you'd probably be ok with 15 mil avg salary..... We always see things different

Cajun

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah if your in the market for older injured washed up running backs, I think I read AP played in 19 of 48 games the last 3 years.........

Yeah Bell got suspended and injured but we are forgetting he is still only 25 and is considered by many "experts" the best RB in the game. Arrow up, just sayin

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Cajan

I get the whole 12 mil is too high but we do not have that option. I did some digging to understand this cap a little more and I did find out some stuff I didn't know, maybe others here did but here is what I found:

Under the 2011 CBA, the non-exclusive franchise tenders are determined based not on what any one player made in 2016 or will make in 2017, but on the five-year average of the percentage that the tenders for each position consume under the total cap. For running backs, the 2017 franchise tender will equate to 7.257 percent of the overall cap. At a salary cap of $165 million, that’s a tender of $11.9 million.

So while I thought it was based on the top 5 salaries it is really based on a % of the cap and with the cap going up each year this is why the number is so big. With that said I am fine with the 12 mil hit cause we have options. First we can work out a long term deal in the next few months but it allows us to know that next year our play makers are set...yes I am predicting Ben is coming back. Next if we don't sign him long term we get a whole year to make sure Bell is gonna stay clean and healthy. We lose nothing but a few mil, well worth the risk of losing 60-70 mil long term and eating up cap space the next few years is he fails a test or something.

Now as far as breakaway speed if that is your hang up then I guess there is nothing any of us can say cause we can't change that. I will say like Blast continues to point out he may not have breakaway speed but he sure the hell does put up big time numbers and the last I checked that is a pretty good thing. Also as far as the redzone goes, well i can remember a game not to long ago we had 1st and goal from the 5 and Bell didn't see the ball once. I am pretty sure the lack of TD's and our struggles in the redzone isn't all Bell's fault.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Bleedsteel-
    Perhaps you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to say..
    I'm not calling Steeler management stupid for keeping Bell a Steeler. I'm glad he's on our team. Love 'em. Exciting to watch.
    I'm saying if Steeler management didn't try and sign him earlier, it was unwise, because he was cheaper when he was On Sale, so to speak, while suspended.
    Steelers might have tried back then. I don't know. But sure would have been nice to have had such an elite talent for cheaper. His value to the team would have been even greater first as an elite talent, second taking up less cap space allowing more for others (like James Harrison for example). That's all I'm saying.

10. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    There is no evidence that the Steelers believe that non-breakaway speed is not that important.
    But there is evidence that the Steelers agree with Cajun's point that there is a limit to how much we should pay to keep him. The type of franchise tag Bell got allows other teams to negotiate with Bell and possibly sign him away (if we don't match). Would have tagged him with the other type of franchise tag if the Steelers wanted NO CHANCE of him going to another team.

11. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    NY STEELERFAN-
    the only thing I'm saying was unwise in this whole Bell discussion is the fact that the Steelers waited until Bell cost the most to pay him. That's all.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree somewhat, but if you sign him when he was suspended you risk throwing away a lot more money. The Steelers did the smart - safe thing here, and while I agree 12 mil is a ton I don't think this will be a problem with cap space. go to the Salary cap thread and look how I broke it down, it is kinda playing out that way now. Not to mention there is always a chance in the next few months we work out a long term deal at a better cap number. jmo

13. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    NY STEELERFAN,

I like Bell, I think he's currently a top 5 RB but not the Best. I understand the FO had to tag him and I Support that because no way we can enter 2017 without him. We have zero depth. Part of his success is our OL. I don't want the Steelers to pay him a salary making him the 2nd highest paid RB or the top. His 40 time was 4.60 which isn't awful but it isn't fast either. Since his injury he still runs with a limp. I bet his time now is around 5.0.......

Still he produces because his style fits our offense...... I'd love to sign him to a five year deal worth say 53mil.....

12 mil per year is just too much . Now if he was completely healthy and still running a 4.6 maybe, just maybe.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Martavis Bryant is the wild card for the Steelers in '17. If this guy plays up to his '14 and '15 levels, Bell and AB will prosper if they stay healthy. Bell can run for 1,500+..... if Bryant can distract the opposing D and be the #2 WR the Steelers didn't have in '16. Steelers have a bunch of #3's and #4's behind AB right now without Bryant.

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The cards tagged c jones yesterday!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am confused the Steelers did tag Bell with the Exclusive Rights Tag, which means no other team can negotiate with him. Which also means the Steelers do feel that "lack of breakaway speed" isn't an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He missed 4 according to pro football reference. Only played 12 games.

Yes, its silly when you try to diminish a RB's overall greatness because he doesn't have top end speed. His production speaks for itself and apparently its not hurting his game.

Even if those stats are accurate, its misleading, they should be running it a lot more than they do down there and you know it. So while those percentages dont sound bad, they are when you consider situational football.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01/steelers-must-not-abandon-run-red-zone/

We dont even know what the amount is yet. If its 10, great, but I doubt it and won't have the slightest problem with it, if its 12.

They franchised him. No one else can negotiate with him.

They dont care about breakaway speed, they care about results. Bell provides that in abundance.

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It does hurt his production, if he never breaks one. He is a move the chains back, and a great one at that. Just doesn't have the speed to have great touchdown production, hence his 7 touchdowns during the season. I know some will say he played 3 less games and didn't get enough of carries in the red zone. But come on for the amount of carries he did have and only scored 7 touchdowns is not great touchdown production. He did have hundreds of 1st down runs, and used ball control and long time consuming drives, hence "move the chains type of back".

Not saying that is bad, but you do need to recognize the type of back he is and his lack of speed.

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree 12 mil is a lot but it is what it is and there is still a chance that we can work out a long term deal. Now I just don't get how you keep bringing up the 40 at the combine and his "limp" cause neither seam to be affecting his performance...like you admitted. I just don't get why you are so hung up on this, if you are so concerned about the 40 and the limp then you should be glad they tagged him and didn't offer a long term contract cause that would have wasted more money no?

The bottom line is IMHO the numbers from the combine can be flushed down the toilet. The combine is a joke and Bell is proving that right now. Show me game film, give me production I will take that all day long....and yes especially on Sunday with Bell!!!!!!!

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It doesn't hurt him! He's an incredibly productive back. Stop acting like he is a plodder. He rips off, 15, 20 yarders all the time, he's not a 5 yard and cloud of dust RB. So he doesn't score from the 50, big deal.

And yes, lack of games matter, you need to recognize that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    No he doesn't !!! In the 13 games he played he rushed for 261 times and only 4 times did it amount to 20 yds or more and Never a 50 yarder... Long of 42...

Stop making stuff up...

He's an every down back who will move he chains and on occasion might score!!! That's what he is and he's very good at doing just that !!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    All I can say about Bell, is his production in his 4 years here is off the charts, even with missing 17 games he racked up 4,045 yards rushing and 2,005 yards receiving, thats 6,050 all purpose yards combined for 31 TDs, say what you want about him he performs and is a solid performer, imagine what his numbers would be if he didnt miss 17 games due to injury and suspension....

• Winner Winner x 3
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    In each of his seasons, his longest runs have been:

He also had 8, 20 or more yards in 2015 while playing only 6 games and 8 in 2014. Plus a 40 yard run in each season and twice in 2014. Im not making stuff up, your cherry picking to prove a meaningless point.

This 81 harder sure looked good.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000398800/Bell-81-yard-run

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course, Diamond. Only people with an agenda won't admit it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    And lets not forget how many passes he catches for more than 5 yards, there is not another back in the NFL that can offer what Bell does. He is a dual threat RB, a lot of teams have that however it takes 2 guys to have what we have with one, if that.................just sayin :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Are we really arguing the merits of Le'Veon Bell's production simply based on how fast he runs?

Quite cavilous if you ask me.

• Agree Agree x 2