1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Giants MNF rating down 17%

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I have been wondering for a couple months now just when the sponsors of the NFL such as Coke, Pepsi, Frito-Lay, etc. will finally pull their money back. The world is rapidly growing tired of the politics governing the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I think it really comes down to marketing. The NFL is standing up for social justice. That is their brand right now. Unfortunately, social justice is divisive. You have two sides to that coin, and if someone markets their product based on one side of a coin, they alienate one side. Pretty understandable that numbers have dropped when the NFL is less about football than something else.

And maybe the pandemic has something to do with lower ratings, but I would think it would create an even bigger desire to spend a few hours thinking about something other than quarantines and overall disruption of "normal" life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Exactly, but it's not just the NFL. It's not just sports. It's everywhere. If someone came up with an entertainment experience that neither took sides nor could be considered insensitive to the issue, people would flock to it in droves.

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This also may have something to do with the high unemployment rate and the economy being in the sh!tter. Lots of people had to cut costs and no longer have access to cable/satellite/streaming services.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The current political/social climate is one thing... but I know many people who are just unhappy with the product. You can't hit anymore. The league still doesn't quite know what a catch is. Teams are decimated by injuries. The officiating is often terrible. Many exciting moments are diminished by the inevitable replay. And so on.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    People also have other things to worry about rather than football. No fans also makes the experience kinda lame lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The ratings have been declining for a couple years now. Last week is not the only gauge.

The NFL made it's mistake by "standing up" for one side of a politically motivated argument and they started it a couple years ago.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Normally I binge watch the NFL. I watch as many games as I can from 1 pm until the late game is over. I flip back and forth. I read articles. I watch highlights after for things I missed. Basically I've always been obsessed with the NFL. Can't get enough.

This year it's different. I hardly watched any football on Sunday. Right up until kickoff, i was debating not watching the Steelers this year at all. I watched most of the late game on Monday, but even though it was a close game, I turned it off and went to bed, something I never would have done in the past. I've lost my passion for the NFL and it's due to all this social justice ****. I can't stand it. I want to be entertained, not have some murderer and/or rapist be honoured by people who are being paid very well to do a job.

The NHL has lost me as a fan. The NBA lost me as a fan. The NFL is very close. Once I'm gone, I'm likely never coming back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Personally, I couldn't care less about the political aspects of the NFL. I agree with those who say the NFL is not as entertaining as it once was. The coddling of QBs, the endless replays... the rules changed to benefit offense, etc. It's all played a part to cheapen the NFL product, IMO. The NFL looks more and more like arena football with every passing year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was thinking the opposite. I was wondering how it would feel watching the game because when I watch baseball it is very weird without fans but I found myself not bothered much at all Monday. In baseball you see the stands much more which I think is the difference.

I was very pleased after the game Monday, I’m psyched for the rest of the season. Hopefully they can continue to keep infection rates down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Steelers are always a big draw. The Giants are as well, based off the New York market. The fact that the ratings were so bad for a Monday night game to start the season doesn't bode well for the NFL. If the Steelers and Giants can't draw like they used to, what does that mean for a Brown vs Bengal game in prime-time? :eek::eek:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What Brown Bengal game?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It's kinda like that game "where's Waldo" except instead of looking for Waldo in a sea of faces, they try to find a professional football team in Ohio. So far, nobody has spotted one.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I could not agree more with what you wrote. I have been in business for all of my adult life. It is simply bad business to force feed your ideals on to your customer base.

I will ask everyone here this, and I will be careful not to cross any lines. If the NFL had taken a hardcore stance in support of the police, and the situation was completely reversed, would those who support Black Lives Matter feel alienated? Of course they would.

It is a slippery slope that the sports world is on right now. I am really not surprised ratings are down.

16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    It's almost as if I wrote this

17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Tonight on TNF.

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    But that's like saying you don't mind clouds, you just love sunny days. The reason days aren't sunny is because of clouds and the reason the NFL is looking more like arena football is because their focus has drifted away from football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It was a joke, but I do have to wonder if the NFL is intentionally running an experiment tonight to see what their absolute floor is for prime time TV ratings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I feel like your fanboy. I can pretty much just click "like" or "agree" on whatever you post without reading it. I'm waiting for the day you say something I disagree with and my world comes crashing down around me. I guess that's what it feels like to be a Tom Brady fan right now.

21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm a business owner, but I also represent a very common retailer, that everyone is familiar with, so not only am I running a business but I'm also representing a franchise.

I will not allow any of my employees to wear political or social clothing items in work spaces etc.

We are in business, it's hard enough to conduct no reason to drag issues into it. I say everyone is entitled to opinions and their rights, but your not bringing it into our place of work and business we aren't causing more drama, than already occurs on a daily basis.

What our employees do on their own time is their own business, when you come into these doors it's our business.

There is a lot of businesses that don't follow my believed creed, but of course a lot of them aren't retail, when your in retail it's a different ball game than a lot of other businesses.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    They'll get a boost in ratings from prisons and treatment centers, though. They're full of ex Bengals and Browns and have rooms ready for current rosters.

23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey HeinzMustard.

Yes, to all that you stated. One thing that has me more ticked off than some of the other issues is the implementation of technology; specifically play reviews and when they can an cannot be used. As well as just not using this tool when it is clearly justified. I was watching the Rams game the other day when a cowturd defender clearly hit the Ram's QB in the face/head (see Goff link below). And it really wasn't a ticky-tacky type of hit. IMO, it was enough to warrant a flag. However, nothing, zero from the refs. Not even a review. What is the point of play review if it is not going to be used when the most obvious occurs.

It is bad enough that the review process slows down the flow of the game. Then when it could be beneficial, it is not utilized. I have seen this numerous times over the past few years. Calls that should have been made that never are and do not get reviewed as well. What a complete waste of the process that has been put in place.

Goff getting head popped.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    I watched, I enjoyed, no fans don't bother me, didn't even notice with the sound pumped in. The politics aspect doesn't bother me, I focus on the run, the pass and the D. I was entertained. Onto Sunday. Go Steelers!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Big business is in a pickle over this. Unfortunately, staying the course would get you looked at as unsympathetic to the cause. Doing nothing raises the ire of the BLM side as much as standing against it. It sucks because BLM should be a positive movement. It is an absolutely worthy cause. But unfortunately, it doesn't exist to bring all of us together. And big business has gotten swept up in something that gives us no possible medium to agree on. No matter what your opinion is or what side you stand on, there's a fence between you and the other side. And that fence is substantial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.