1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers future

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel machine, Nov 26, 2019.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The following is just my opinion since no one knows what the future holds. I've taken off my black and gold glasses and these are my fears.

The Ravens and Browns have franchise QB's. Jackson is awesome and just getting started. I know the Ravens are hated by most Steeler fans but not this one. Those games early in Ben's career against them were Super Bowls themselves. Just awesome,and I've always respected them for that reason. I'm all in on Ravens winning the Super Bowl this season. Mayfield, hated by many on here including me, but he is going to make the Browns a threat for years to come. (starting with beating us twice this season)

Again this is just my opinion but Rudolph is only going to be a below average QB in the NFL. Kind of like Brister, Malone, etc. Duck is in the same boat. I've nothing against these guys but no way in hell the Steelers will be an elite team with them under center.

Ben is done. I don't see him coming back since it looks like he is just eating and sitting on his ass. Even if he does start in 2020 I can't see it making us anything but an 8-8 team getting an ass kicking from the Ravens and Browns.

The Steelers have to somehow find a QB. I have zero idea how that will happen but if they are going to hope Ben comes back strong I feel we are doomed for a flashback to the 80's. And if they are sold on Rudolph as the future then he has to start and stay in every game.

As always I hope i'm wrong and Ben is comeback player of the year in 2020!!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all Steeler fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

3. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Going to be tough sledding for a while is my guess

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Mayfield is NOT a lock to be great, he is a head case and we know what head cases do at QB.

I expect Ben to be back and be a top 7 QB, as opposed to his backup being a bottom 5 QB.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks for nothing Steel Machine - you give us a brutally honest assessment of our Home Town Team.........and then in the same breath wished us a Happy Thanksgiving.

You just pulled the ultimate........[​IMG] :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. fansincethesixties

fansincethesixties Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    I agree with you about Lamar Jackson; he adds another dimension to that improving offense. Personally I’m not sold on Baker Mayfield yet; a poster boy for the NFL at this point. Time will tell.

Finding a franchise quarterback would be great, and I hope we can, but a team can go a LONG way with a serviceable quarterback coupled with a great defense. (See Trent Dilfer). And our defense ain’t there yet, but it’s vastly improved from the last 5 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ravens endured bad seasons for a while to get what they have now. Now they are a legit threat to win it all. We endured being a paper champion during those times and did nothing. Now we suck lol

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Agreed that Mayfield isn't a lock. But he could be a top 10, imo. Next season will tell a lot if they can keep the nucleus of that offense together.

Ben? I'm not worried about his weight right now. I'm worried about recovery at his age. If his arm responds well to rehab, then we'll worry about the rest of him. Honestly, I just don't see him coming back as the qb we remember or need. I think the Ben era is over.

Give Duck 3 games and then we'll see what he's really made of. Defenses will gameplan him more effectively after there's enough tape. That's the one thing a prepared qb has going for him when he comes in cold. The defense hasn't prepared for him. They don't know what to expect. That works in his favor. But after a couple games, things get a little more difficult. Let's see how he handles the pressure.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey that’s not fair. You’re leaving out the non losing seasons...

11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Neither of these QBs are a lock until they do something in post season play. Seen lots of great one year then piss poor the next QB's. The putz Mayfield had a good 2018 and not so great 2019. Besides, Cleveland is Cleveland until they're not. Jackson had a decent 2018 but better 2019 so he is trending the wrong way (for me). Even we took the Rats to OT with our depleted team and HC and now they are this great team for years to come? Not in my book.

12. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I have suggested that they throw their hat into the Bridgewater ring. He has the pedigree, he's fought back against great adversity, and he's playing great. And he could be a starter for 10 more years.

Problem is, of course, Ben's contract is going to screw us for two more years. And he'll have a long term deal by then.

I don't know any other non-rookie QB's that would be available, that I'd be interested in. Problem is, even when we suck, we never suck enough to get a top 10 pick. We got really lucky that Ben lasted to 11. That's when we have a 1st that is. Gotta get lucky next year maybe if somebody falls.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The Ravens aren't going to the superbowl and I'll tell you why. Belicheat will force Lamar to throw and I don't care what his numbers are, Jackson can't throw the ball with accuracy consistently. He will be the next RGIII after he tears an ACL or something else which happens to every single running type QB, it is why NFL teams don't want that type of player.

Mayfield is a bad decision maker, with the weapons he has his numbers should be off the charts. Unfortunately the Steelers are going to have to start looking for a QB now and it is possible to find a diamond in the rough in later rounds. The issue the team faces is Randy Fichtner, he may be ok as a position coach but he is in over his head as an OC. I think it is time to move on when the other teams DBs are running the routes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    @BK99 I was about to post something very similar about Lamar, any sort of serious lower body injury and he is done as an elite player. His threat as a runner is opening things up for him in the passing game, take it away and he is average to good. He is devastating right now though.

Not sure about Mayfield but I’d take him over Rudolph or Duck for sure. Just wait until all their first rounders come looking to get paid together, that will be fun.

As for the Steelers this day was always coming. I have a feeling Ben is pretty much done. If they can get one more decent season from him and put some weapons around him and keep the defence together there might be one more shot if they stay clear of injuries. After that Heyward, Pouncey, Foster, Villanueva, Haden, Vance and Ben are probably done, all the leaders will be gone and it’s time to find a new QB and rebuild up front on both sides of the ball after relative stability for near a decade. How they draft will determine the future from there.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Not to be mean but I wouldn't mind injuries slowing them down. That is my point about the QB situation. Barring injury Baltimore and Cleveland are going to have a better QB under center then we will. They will be the top 2 teams in division as long as it is like this. (now watch the Bengals go 13-3 next season and win division:) Your right about us losing the leaders soon and even if the youth movement proves very promising we still need a franchise QB.

16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    49ers are dominating this season with a game manager under center. You can win with a well built team, I.e. good defence, solid OLine and run game and a couple of playmakers on offence even if your QB is not top 5, look at Foles with the Eagles a few seasons back, Broncos (Manning was done that year they won). It’s not all about the QB but a competent guy under center is a must

Edit: should have added good coaching on all phases!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    You realize that's not typical though right? The Brad Johnson's and Trent Dilfers of the world don't win every year. Both of teams that I'm referring to, btw, had some of the top defenses of all time. Not just good defenses.

The league is set up to throw the ball. Rudolf throws the ball as bad as an NFL QB could and actually still be on a team. Of course you "can" win if everything comes together but it's like a Pirates situation. When you have about 10 million dollars to spend against the top teams spending 200 million, you usually have, at best, a two year window. Just after all your young guys have hit a level of proficiency, and just before they hit free agency. Then they all leave and you have no chance to win at all for at least the next 5-7 years.

Without a good QB, you're the Pirates. And that is screwed.

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Let's see if Ben has anything left next year before I think that Baker or Lamar is a better QB. Not looking good though.

19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I know you can’t win with a bad QB, that’s not what I was saying at all. You need a good QB but I don’t think all is lost if they don’t find the next Ben (I.e. Hall of Famer) immediately. Somebody mentioned Bridgewater for example. Is it that implausible to build a fundamentally sound team around a guy like that and have success? Look at Tannehill in Tennessee this year, picked up for peanuts and doing a very credible job, Brissett is another guy doing well when he wasn’t expected to be the starter. There are options besides Rudolph while looking for the next franchise guy. It was never their intention to play Rudolph this year in any case. If Ben retires and they don’t have their ‘guy’ they need to manage the situation as best they can and keep building the roster.

I don’t understand the 10m vs 200m reference the Steelers have the same cap as everyone else in the league and have not been reluctant to spend up to the limit.

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I’ll root for Baltimore over Cleveland, patriots bengals in the afc

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    add the Raiders for me. I would not have had Cleveland but things change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Cracking up at your avatar. I swear I've seen that sign before....

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is bright, the Rooney's know football and they will do
    their best to put a winning product on the field.

24. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    “You’ve got to come in First”

Hahahahahahaha!

You go Jerry Jones!

Time for Owners to put their foot down.

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I hate the Ravens. Only time I hope they win is vs. Patriots... the evil empire.

I rooted for 40 Whiners in Super Bowl... would rather have 9ers tie us then, than Ravens getting #2.

• Agree Agree x 1