1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers future QB is...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jim90, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Here is a reason to be concerned. Gruden on Dobbs

Gruden: "Joshua Dobbs is a huge sleeper in this draft. ... I'd love to work with him. I like Dobbs a lot."

Gruden really spoke highly of Johnny football as well.. WE ARE DOOMED lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Seen him play a couple of games this year, for what its worth, thought he was one of the worst SEC qb this year. This pick didnt make any sense to me, because of his talent level and our never ending need for quality DB which is way more important then a back up QB who is not that much different then what we have.

3. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    I think Josh Mcdaniels has our number also.

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Probably the rawest QB in the draft, and he compares a lot to Dennis Dixon only Dixon was a better college QB, and we know how that went down, I expect the same results again....

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. I think he's definitely the future starter. Bens replacement remains to be seen.

I don't have the same crystal ball as others here do, so I have to wait and see how he does. Definitely has the tools though.

6. Diamond

May 26, 2012

Remember how our last Tennessee QB worked out for us?

2000, Tee Martin: 5th round, 163 overall, Pittsburgh.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That carries no weight with me. Whether Dobbs is good or bad will have nothing to do with Tee Martin.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Our history with developing QBs drafted in the 4th round and later is not very good, especially QBs with accuracy issues, coaches cant teach accuracy especially with the tight windows in the NFL even stewart had this problem as a second round pick, our defense would get us to the AFCC game and he would give it away with picks.............

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Absolutely can teach accuracy. It's mechanics. As someone else had pointed out yesterday, Dobbs has never had a QB coach.

But you know what he does have that can't be taught? Clutch.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Diamond

May 26, 2012

I'm glad your happy with him, hope he doesn't dissapoint you, he's just not my choice to replace Ben especially with a better QB class in the draft next year..............

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Art Rooney II said the Steelers don't view Dobbs as Ben's replacement, :shrug:.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What do you expect him to say? It's the only answer he can give.

Say he's Bens replacement, heaps tons of pressure on him or makes him feel secure and doesn't give it his all.

Make no mistake, Dobbs has to earn it and beat the guy in front of him. Could very well fail, I just don't think he will.

13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Name me a team that does have a great history of that?

I read an article years ago that said the QB's with the most success came from rounds 1 and 7. Everything in the middle was just average.....and I think the round 7 was skewed because of like 2 guys (not them..but like a Rich Gannon and Kent Graham ...those type of guys..that hung around long enough and were good enough to get the W's)

The Dak Prescotts (maybe...we will see his year 2) Tom Brady's are few and far between. You want a QB..a franchise QB...he probably is coming in the top 12 picks.....maybe the top 40.

I think this article shows what I am talking about pretty well. 52 Qb's taken in the first 2 rounds since 2004. Honestly tell me how many you would want as Bens replacement....maybe 12...or 15? lets say its 15... that means only 30% of all Qbs drafted in the first 2 rounds would even be worth trying to replace Ben....and those included Eli, Rivers, Rogers...the best in the league for a long time.....Most of the guys on that list of 52 are not even in the league anymore.....You want Bens replacement...you are going to have to either have a big losing season...or an average season and trade up.....or strike gold with a Tom Brady in the 6th.

HACK

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Or maybe Art and the Steelers just wanted to draft a young QB in the mid rounds for competition. If they want to find Ben's replacement it will be a first round guy in the near future.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    First part could be true but doubtful.

Second part is completely false. There are QB's taken after the first that have ended up franchise QB's.

Theres also plenty QBs taken in the first that were busts, tons.

I think its smarter to be proactive rather than waiting until you suck.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    For every Dak Prescott there's a Landry Jones :shrug:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So we shouldn't try? Just wait till we suck and use first rd pick after first rd pick until we find one that sticks? Sounds like a bad plan to me.

You don't think Dobbs is any good, I do. We'll find out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Or a 100 Quincy carters

19. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mahomes is less experienced than Dobbs. At least Dobbs can read a defense lol

20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Man people were coming up to me ragging me all morning at church today. They were like "DOBBS?! REALLY?!" LOL!!! One guy did tell me that he thinks Sutton is gonna be a gamer though and he's actually a clowns fan. So there's at least that. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Cuz if Browns fans know about anything, it's QBs!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No he told me that he thought Sutton was gonna be a gamer. He told me that he DID wanna cheer for Dobbs in the pros but now he can't. Which I totally appreciate. LOL!

23. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, Sutton I can handle. He will be a good player I thank

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Could be one of the greatest overreaches in draft history. I think Andy bit off more than he can chew on this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    We have no idea how this guy will be as an NFL QB. The Steeler's FO looks at his physical tangibles and his intelligence, and believes the guy can be coached to be a good QB.

He wisely stated he doesn't plan on "replacing" anyone. He knows he'd have big shoes to fill. I think a 4th round pick for a QB project and potential future starter is not a bad investment at this time. He has a lot of positives.

Give the guy some time, and we can evaluate him when he's finally on the field. I bet he makes some plays.