1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers find star players in APRIL - not March...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mdbates2, Mar 18, 2012.

1. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Great article - and so true.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 87120.html

There was a chart in the Cleveland Pain Feeler that showed that the Steelers are tied for the BEST record in the NFL since 2006, but have signed only 11 free agents in that period.

Having witnessed it over the last 40+ years - I agree - the STEELER way WORKS!

2. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Im reading this now as well. so true.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    At the same time... I think the board would be considerably emptier if there weren't all the "sign free agent X" threads throughout March. It's like being forced to visit your elderly racist relatives. You don't really want to do it, but it at least gives you something to talk about.

4. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Hey - when players are available - we're entitled to talk about whether or not they could help us. That's why we're not fans and FO personnel. Still - when all the FA talk is over, I'm always glad when the Steelers haven't made a significant move.

5. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    True enough. I was trying to think of any specific recent free agents that I wished we had picked up, but drew a blank (though it might be too early in the morning for thinking). Instead, I couldn't help but look at the Eagles last season, and the "dream team"... that worked out well for them.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    careful, we had sean mahan and duce :superstition: :cool: .

7. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I actually really liked the Staley siging when it was made. He was quite a versatile back at Philly, and seemed to be a decent alternative to Bettis at the time. However, I was utterly, utterly wrong.

8. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    That's the thing. We may LOVE certain players - and obviously, the Steelers loved Staley or they wouldn't have signed him. But I think you swing and miss with free agents even more than with draft picks.

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Staley was a good signing at the time. He looked great in Philly, but the guy just couldn't stay healthy here.

As for how the system here works, we try to draft talent and replace it when necessary. We have some holes right now, but our starting offense and defense I think are pretty well set. We will add 7 talented players to this group of starter with the goal being to get eventual starters. I love the way this FO works.

Just as an example:

QB - Ben
    RB - Redman
    WR - Wallace
    WR - Brown
    TE - Miller
    TE - Johnson
    LT - Gilbert
    LG - Legs
    C - Pouncey
    RG - Foster
    RT - Colon

DE - Hood
    NT - Hampton or McLendon
    DE - Keisel
    OLB - Woodley
    ILB - Foote
    ILB - Timmons
    OLB - Harrison
    CB - Ike
    CB - Lewis
    S - Clark
    S - Troy

Granted there will be injuries. Granted there are players I would love to upgrade. Granted there isn't depth at every position, but I LOVE the fact that we don't NEED a starter at any position. We have guys we trust, but we could always use upgrades.

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I remember Staley running hard until the Patriot game when he came out of the pile injured. He loved being in Pittsburgh since he grew up there and was a fan.

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I do think we overpaid Staley, but I don't think he was a bad pickup. We were looking for someone to offset Bettis winding down. It worked great until he got hurt. I'm not happy about how it turned out, but I never understood hating on a guy for being injured. We might as well bash Kendrell Bell, who could have been the best linebacker in a generation.