1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers FANS can learn from the Giants

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rush2seven, May 3, 2019.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Sounds like you’re in the Young/Rogers camp of letting them sit for a while to learn. Versus drafting and playing right away. If it works out, I’m all for it.

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Nope just call it like I see and here you are wasting more of your time right......:shrug:

3. yeldarb

yeldarb Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I may be wrong, but weren't there two QB's injured when Ben was thrust into duty ?

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Some times it’s hard for me as well not to just call it like like I see it. Some posters are are just very insecure.

Go Steelers

11-5

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    For our next QB, I prefer to see a QB play immediately, so we can benefit that he's on a contract rookie

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    And yet you feel the need to point that out so who is insecure????? If I don't like a thread I move on I don't post how I don't like the thread....just sayin........:shrug:

Anyways on thing we agree on it GO STEELERS! :herewego:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Fair enough, though we may have to trade up to get him. I’m hoping the draft after Ben retires they’re picking at #32

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    They traded up to #10 for an ILB, why wouldn't they do the same for a QB in the future?

I believe the drafting of Dobbs was to get a #3 on the roster to develop and take over for Jones in a couple years. Dobbs would be cheaper as Jones being the older vet.
    Then the drafting of Rudolph was just plain old BPA according to their board.

All the offseason talk of Ben retiring and the "I'll discuss it with family" passive aggressive talk during the Haley era by Ben kind of forced Colbert's hand in getting new QBs in the building. Colbert and Tomlin admitted to scouting QBs for a couple years to see what traits would lead to successful QBs in the NFL. Then Haley is gone and Fichtner is hired and Ben finds the fountain of youth. I think the Steelers are in great shape for the QB spot. Franchise starter and two quality backups. I couldn't ask for more.

As to the Giants, I think they made the right move in drafting Barkley and offensive line two drafts ago. They benched Eli late in the season and all their fans flipped their lids just before that draft. What better way to get ready for a new QB in the near future than to build the team with a stellar RB and O-lineman. Eli has a lackluster year, and they draft the QB high the next year. I think they played it the right way.
    As for the Giants fans who watched Manning last year, of course they want the shiny new toy to start.

I haven't heard Steeler fans clamoring for a new QB though, so not sure why the comparison.

10. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011

My comparison wasn’t necessarily about the players, but about the strategy. I don’t expect Eli to be a Giant next year. They went out and got their guy to play him now.

The question is, when it is time to move on from Ben, is it best to draft high that year? Or draft high now and have them sit on the bench as Rogers did.

If Daniel Jones is terrible his rookie season, that may be proof that when it is time to move on from Ben, they should draft high and bring in a vet.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Gotcha I misunderstood. I prefer the sit and watch for a year scenario myself. Like Mahomes did. But it's really on how the coaches view the mentality of the rookie they bring in. Do they think he's tough enough mentally to survive what could be a disastrous rookie year if he plays. It's almost a case by case basis I would think. Some dudes are tougher than others. David Carr took a beating as a rookie, JP Losman IIRC and a lot of others I'm sure.

That's why I liked the Giants strategy. Beef up the o-line with studs and get good skill players before you draft the QB. The chances of a rookie taking a beating are lessened.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Idk if you really answered the question what Steelers fans can learn. Unless you can predict the future of the Giants and Steelers

13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    We don't have a choice. We just sit on the sidelines and hope a lot.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We always have glemm waiting to play, the giants dont. :cool: