1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Fanbase Ranked 18th?!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CanadianSteel, Jul 13, 2016.

1. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Well if I were ranking a fan base I'd look at ticket availability and cost, how well do they travel?, and history of season ticket sales / availability. If you travel to the home city that might also tell you a few things. Which IMO means the top 2 are Pittsburgh and GreenBay. Any city that's willing to paint their city in the colors of their home team should probably be in the top 5.

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    On any Monday morning any statistical geek can produce analytical GIGO depending on which side of the futon he/she/other rises on. MT would say "Obviously these statistical parameters are irrelevant, meaningless and capricious". (or was that Jackie Chiles?) Just ask Philip Rivers which fan base he finds the most dominant - at HOME! Seeing that the Raiders finished 31st would change dramatically if those incarcerated in California penal facilities were provided decent living wages for pounding out license plates and had a little more pocket change. ;)

[​IMG]

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This study is :poopy:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    New England :roflmao:

Just when I thought that franchise couldn't have its ass kissed enough (family site, wanted to use a different metaphor) now they have the best fan base.

I won't be a total homer and say we are number 1 but not in top 10? :rolleyes:

Who cares though, really, OP is right, sloooow time of year.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did you read some of the metrics this guy used Blast? Twitter followers really so because the Pats have 1.2 million twitter followers that carries more weight than actual fans and attendance, and things like that. Yes folks following a team on twitter actually means you are a fan of that team so let that be a warning to those of you that just want to laugh at tweets from NE or like a guy a work with says the 500K Pats fans and the 1 million Giselle followers that signed up in the hopes that she will show some boob to fans of her husbands team. lol

8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Steeler fans are worldwide. Period. On any given Sunday you see jerseys spanning at least 4 decades in the stands. Period. We know our history. Period. We have built a legacy synonomous with American grit and blue collar values. That resonates with people. Period. Go ahead and rank us 18th. Did we look 18th in 05 when we outnumbered Seattle's piddly "12th Man" about 20 to 1? You tell me.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  10. vasteeler

vasteeler Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2016
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think I could agree with some of this statement. 2 Small cities that live and die football. We(Steelers) don't have the resources
    these other large cities have. Although you can also say PGH home crowds have changed quite a bit from the 70's, when normal people
    could afford to take in a game or two. Now you have yuppies/corporate types that really don't care about football and it shows.
    Oh well go Steelers. Should be an exciting season if Steelers stay healthy?

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
  13. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    There's definitely got to be some bias there. I know I'm bias towards the Steelers, but even so, 18th isn't right at all.

And the team the author listed as 1st.....
    [​IMG]

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Tell me how this statement makes any sense in ranking a fan base????

Lewis reasons that because the Steelers’ ticket prices are below market, they were hurt in the fan equity category.

15. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yeah, I read over that statement a couple times and just shook my head.

16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I read the original article that this one is based off of. The author of the study specifically named only the Steelers as an anomaly in the results because of the low price of tickets which hurts their ranking. So we should not be offended since he said himself that the study is flawed in our case. Still, I think the whole study is flawed because of the criteria it is based on and results are unworthy of further comment.

17. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    According to the criteria the results are accurate. And if you add in the fact that the Steeler home games looks dreadful as the stadium is virtually empty in the 2nd half. I also don't like the statement " Steeler fans travel well ".... When Steeler fans take over opposing stadiums it isn't because Pittsburgh locals have travelled .... It's because we Steeler fans are and live Everywhere and are in fact diehard and we aren't afraid to enter hostile environments and this should have been a key component to gauging a fan base and if you're going to use Twitter then ALL forms of social media aka this site among many others should have been included..... Yes, the patsies are #1 but only in this flawed system....

Cajun

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This summer I have been working in northern New Mexico on a project and guess which team I see represented most on t-shirts, stickers, etc. You guessed it, our beloved Steelers. I was really surprised given the proximity to Denver and Arizona, but the Steeler fans are well represented here. I've gotten quite a few comments on my shirts as well. We're everywhere!!

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I personally take a certain amount of credit for that. My wife is from New Mexico, and for 30 years every time we go to visit family and friends I take a pile of Steeler stuff and preach to potential converts. All the way from Taos to Las Cruces.

21. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Well you never hear announcers say, dang, Pats*, Pack, + 15 other teams fans have more here than the home team. You always hear it about STILLER fans. That's good enough for me.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Neither the steelers or seahawks fan base made the top 5...really? We fill more stadiums up then any team in the league. Are they counting our $$ then or does that go towards opposing teams?

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    You've done some nice work!

Project is just outside of Taos in Questa.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If it still exists, there was a restaurant named Michael's in Taos that made really good beans of all things. Also, R C Gorman's gallery is worth a visit. Taos can be a ball buster of a ski area.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Considering the absurd amount of Steelers fans worldwide; never mind North America, this study is pointless. I am all for analytics.. but only going for things such as spending and social outreach are not enough.

To get a comprehensive study, one would have to account for the no. of fans for all 32 teams per week in each stadium for the last no. of years (let us use 10 for most recent), divide the fans according to the teams present then apply the "spending" amount based on seats being occupies on average per fan be it home or away.

There are more ways to account for fanbase rankings I am sure, but even simply accounting for just the no. of fans in stadiums is sufficent.

Social Media? Really? .. :facepalm: (×100)