1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers @Eagles Preseason game 1 gameday thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Aug 9, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    They are the same type of player. Neil O' Donnell might have been a starter, but that was more to do with lack of options then an ideal option at QB.

Both players are your manage the game type QB that just try not to throw the game with a mistake. That's the entire point I'm looking to make.

Landry Jones isn't starter material just as Neil O' Donnell shouldn't have been. If I can say it in multiple ways to be understood. Neil only got us to the superbowl because of the running game and defense.

And if I remember correctly, and I know most others remember also, his mistake ended up costing the Steelers the SB that year. Was not impressed with his performance.

But this isn't really a bash Neil O' Donnell post than it is a Landry Jones isn't that bad as a backup QB on a superbowl contending team. No better or worse than Neil O' Donnell IMO, and he's the backup.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know but he likes to comment by the seat of his pants anyway....

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    touche ***** lol

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    that was bit@# haha

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It's glorious!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I kinda wanna call "strawman" on his strawman arguments. but it'd create a crazy circle in the time space continuum and I have feelings for Uhura on Star Trek so I'm just left with some crappy intel from a made up tv show. kind of a bummer

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Bubby was starter and playoff QB, Tomczak was a starter and playoff QB, Jim Miller became a starter elsewhere. All 3 of their careers overlapped NOD's career in Pittsburgh. There were other options. NOD still had to manage games when he was here and brought them back from behind more than once. I think I remember him bringing at least one if not two teams from behind to beat the Steelers when he played elsewhere. Fake spike touchdown rings a bell...

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Jones hasn't even shown he can be a mediocre starting quarterback in the NFL. O'Donnell was an average starter and an outstanding backup. O'Donnell was clearly better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    In 95 didn’t O’Donnell lead the league in QB rating or something like that? He was a good starter who either folded under the pressure of the big game or got paid off. His year leading up to that game makes that game so much more of a head scratcher.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He was a good player for us but probably just average with less of a supporting cast then he had here. Like the Jets.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    That argument could be made for a lot of players if not most. I personally think Bell is going to struggle when he leaves here at least until his next line gets used to his style. But back to my original point I think the hate and well deserved hate I might add for him over shadows that he was a good QB.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not really. NO is a game manager, the style of play the Steelers employed then, ground and pound was perfect for him. I think you'd be able to tell that Dan Marino was an amazing QB no matter who he played for.

I have no hate for NO. Not going to hate on the guy because he fell short in the big game. Happens. Don't hate him anymore than Id hate Ben if they had lost the Seattle SB.

14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    People forget that NO was more then a ground and pound type QB. At the time there was a great receiving core for the Steeler's. The 5 receiver set was awesome and was hard to stop. They were one of the better passing teams at that time and teams struggled to defend it.

And that's what got them to the super bowl that year. One bad pass cost them in that game.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    But he's a great decoy.