1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers drafted DBs under Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Oct 3, 2018.

1. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Below is a list of DBs from 2007-2017 draft -- Tomlin's drafts except for the most recent one. The number in parentheses is the round the player was picked. Summary - Tomlin/Colbert have not been good at picking DBs, at all. In fact they stink at it, despite the fact that Tomlin was a DB coach himself.

Cam Sutton (3rd) - yet to emerge as a starter; TBD

Brian Allen (5th) - hasn't really played; TBD

Artie Burns (1st) - has shown a few flashes but so far a 1st round bust

Sean Davis (2nd) - an average to below average starter

Senquez Golson (2nd) - COLOSSAL BUST; never played a single game

Doran Grant (4th) - Bust

Gerod Holliman (7th) - Bust

Shaq Richardson (5th) - Bust

Shamarko Thomas (4th) - Bust; Tomlin admitted he didn't have it "above the neck"

Terry Hawthrone (5th) - Bust

Terrence Frederick (7th) - Bust

Curtis Brown (3rd) - Bust

Cortez Allen (4th) - showed a few flashes but ultimately busted

Crezdon Butler (5th) - Bust

Keenan Lewis (3rd) - Went on to have a decent 3 year career with the Saints

Joe Burnett (5th) - Bust

Ryan Mundy (6th) - solid special teamer

William Gay (5th) - a solid return for the Steelers

So in summary we have 2 TBDs (Sutton and Brian Allen); 3 decent careers, given their draft position (Mundy, Gay, Lewis), 1 average player (Davis) and 12 BUSTS. Excluding the 3 TBDs, that's 4 decent/average players out of 16 picks. 25% success rate. Not very good at all.

I haven't done the analysis but we've done much better with WRs.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought W Gay was here before Tomlin.
    Guess not.
    He may have ended up being the best pick.
    Wonder if the Giants would cut him loose.
    He communicated well it appeared.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :beathorse:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wow. Terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Not a good list for sure but Tomlin is all...

nothingtosee.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did Tomlin draft Will Gay?

• Like Like x 1
  7. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You forgot Edmunds who while still young has Bust written all over him with pressure building on him by the day.

(Please don't anyone make the Troy's first year cliche BS - he ain't Troy by any stretch)

Didn't we (THEY!!!) also pass on a concensus good CB this year while taking a huge flier on Edmunds in the 1st too...!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wanna have more fun? Do this same list with LB's too!

Scary...

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He was released by the Giants when they did roster cuts, but they may have picked him back up since then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I really liked Ryan Mundy. wish we would've held onto him longer.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Slight aside, but TenaciousD is Watt Wack, right?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    6 started threads in the front page by TenaciousD. Thanks for finding Watt Wack lol

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mostly 4th and later picks. Now be fair and compare to other teams who pick middle to late in the draft from 4th on and see if there is much difference there. Legit question. I don't know what the results would be but I'm guessing not a whole lot of success. I know Seattle had some success finding late rd gems but they also were picking higher when they found some of those guys.

Steelers obviously haven't been good at finding DB's but lets be real, there is one 1st rd pick on that list and two 2nd rd picks. If that list was made up of 1st and 2nd rds, it would be much more eye popping.

Also, since when are 4th and later picks considered busts? Couple of those picks were 7th rd, give me a break. And Golson? He never played a game, we'll never know how good or bad he would of been. Ridiculous to hold an injury against a club as proof of poor draft analysis.

You should cash in on your first 3 picks more often then not, after that its a crap shoot.

The draft process is a collaborative effort, there's a lot of input that goes into it and the Colbert decides who gets drafted. Yes, with heavy consideration into who Tomlin wants but it is Colberts decision in the end. There's videos out there on their draft process, worth watching.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    "Ridiculous to hold an injury against a club as proof of poor draft analysis."

Not at all, especially when the player has a history of injuries from high school and college. It's part of the due diligence process -- just like you get a house inspected before you buy it.

Golson's injuries weren't some freak occurrence like Shazier's -- he had similar injury problems in the past. His past injury history combined with his Dri Archer-esque size should have set off some alarm bells for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Most CB's will bust in our current system. And as pointed out above, not many allpros to choose from. One more probowler at safety & the other db's on the field would look better imo.

17. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Here you go I did this the other day on a different thread. They are picking at a 30% clip in the first 3 rounds over the last 6 drafts. Not very good at all. Pretty poor job all around.

18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Without question. I know he's dying to start a thread bashing Terrell Edmunds, but he can't because he will out himself. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Seeing that list all laid out like that......:facepalm:

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m guessing the list would be smaller but similar for edge rushers. This has been a problem for the organization for years. Tomlin’s only part of it. We apparently have an entire player personnel department who can’t identify good DB talent. It’s not just the draft either. Mike Mitchell got a healthy 5 year FA contract with us, and we’ve consistently passed on good, non-excessively priced DB talent in free agency. See Hayward, Weddle, Boston, Jefferson, etc.

I was sort of encouraged by the Burnett signing because he’s a good player, but I was also somewhat discouraged because he is yet another box safety. I still think Boston was a better choice.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    preachin to the choir, had that in my signature around draft time.

I just hope Haden takes a discount next year, but I would take a CB in the first next year if my choice.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You want the DB drafting experts to have another crack at it? I agree that would be an ideal position to consider, but before doing that I think the FO needs to come to grips with the fact that they don’t have anyone in-house who would know the next Jalen Ramsey from the next Charred Scott, and address it by acquiring some scouts who know DBs before making another frickin player move. Figure out who out there has a good track record of assessing DB talent, and PAY them to come here.

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I hear ya, but what can you do, talent is needed at the position especially if Haden decides he's had enough of this circus. I would hope Bradley has some more input since he'll have a full offseason here. Maybe he can add some insight.

Heck, let the athletes themselves do some of your scouting. Every time a scout/coach meets with a WR prospect, ask him who was the toughest DB they faced.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Outside of Greedy Williams, Amani Oruwariye and DeAndre Baker, there really are currently not many options within the position that might help us come 2019.

Nevermind the corners but unless, in some comical likelihood that Devin White falls that far, unless Josh Allen showcases some serious athletic traits, do not count out inside linebacker either.

Sadly and, as it currently stands, not many options for us at the moment.

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    what about Leon Sandcastle?