1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I was just looking at the Steelers depth chart. The one thing I noticed with a lot of their depth is nearly all of it is coming from UDFA signings. I remember in years past it always seemed like we had a lot of developmental draft picks that we were always grooming to eventually replace an old veteran or at the very least provide solid back up relief.

I don’t know why it just seems really odd how the ratio of UDFA’s on the team compared to draft picks seems out of whack. Would this indicate the we have had really bad drafts the last five years plus past the third round? The majority of starters are 1’st, 2nd, 3rd or FA. I know we have signed more FA in the last few years than we ever have but I feel like there is more to it than chalking it up to bad drafting.

This team has been extremely unlucky with promising players who just didn’t pan out for whatever reason:

1. Ryan Shazier - Career Ending Injury
    2. Stephon Tuitt - Early Retirement
    3. Martavis Bryant - Suspension, traded
    4. Antonio Brown - Attitude, traded
    5. Leveon Bell - Greed, FA
    6. David Decastro - Career Ending Injury
    7. Javhon Hargraves - FA
    8. Bud Dupree - FA
    9. Mike Hilton - FA

Thats a lot of players we developed that did not play on a second contract with us with the exception of Tuitt and Decastro and Brown.

I wonder have other teams been this unlucky and it is just the nature of the NFL, especially now or am I just acutely aware of it because it is my team? I know paying the Franchise QB salary prevented some of these signings but it still seems a bit unlucky for us. All of these players could still be playing at high levels for the Steelers with the exception of perhaps Bell.

If a franchise QB prevents you from retaining that much talent it makes you wonder what is the best way to build a team? Were already starting to see teams like KC unloading elite talent such as Hill because they can’t afford him. It will be nice to see how the Bengals and Ravens deal with this. The Ravens are already on the precipice of having to deal with this.

It’s almost better to get a premier QB talent if you can and win early and then trade him for massive assets before his second contract. IF QB prices continue to trend the way they are I don’t know how teams build a Super Bowl caliber roster with a franchise QB on his second contract. You don’t see to many of these franchise QB’s having the success that they did early on because the talent around them become depleted. Look at Russell Wilson as one example. Brady is the exception because he has always played for less.

It just makes you wonder. Maybe more attention should be put into getting the premier QB coach and just churning through young QB’s and developing them. Obviously I know it isn’t that easy to first draft a franchise QB and then develop them but it seems nearly impossible to win with them once they are on their second contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I will worry about the depth chart in about 3 months.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Tldr ; I agree.

Unfortunately, posts like this sometimes won't get traction but this is awesome.

The discussion started with the Wilson Seahawks about grabbing a QB and towing the low cap hit line to win a SB. This model has/is being attempted in multiple places. Look no further than Cinncy trying this exact thing.
    The ravens, as you mentioned, tried early and it didn't pan out. Salary cap wise they are trying to prepare and we may see a new formula be exposed. For the sale of the Steelers I hope not and say what you will about Lamar but the ravens are a better team with him in the lineup.

Ive brought up, even yesterday, the pacman gobble of salary cap that QBs take. Again, tell me a QB that eats more than 17% of cap and win a SB that year, I'll wait ( it's like once in 15 years).

I'm not attempting to put words in your mouth but I would suggest you meaning a, devalue, for the sake of team, the franchise QB. I tend to agree but this is a business.

Trent Dilfer jerseys weren't flying off the shelf like Mahommes. There is the money we need to follow as to why it's "ok" to be competitive, have home playoff games, and always flirt with a SB. It's the, ahem, standard of money making.

I'm not hating the player, I'm hating the game. The odds, with a franchise QB, of winning the division is crazy high and even the SB, comparatively. However, when 1 player eats so much cap they better be able to turn UDFA into stars.

Do we think marques colson was just someone that everyone was wrong on? Yeah, to a degree, but Brees made him a star. He and bush were 4th year players that SB year ( maybe 3rd if I looked it up wrong).

You either surround talent with a Trent Dilfud or you elevate talent with a drew brees in the wind. Both are elevating your odds but you better hope you have a Brees to carry you and not getting Hassle-backed into the finishline.

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought I remember them saying that last year, not a single UDFA they picked up made the opening day active roster?

None of the camp darlings actually made the roster.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  6. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I think you and I are on the same page. The other way you can do it is like what the Rams are doing. Sign a Franchise QB Vet and pro rate his cap hit over the backend of his contract. I know his cap hit this year is like 13.5 Million and by the last year of his contract it is 50 Million a year. Obviously they won’t be able to have the same team around him the last few years of his contract simply due to the nature of his cap hit. I honestly prefer the Trent Dilfer route. I feel like it is easier to build up a team around the QB and I also feel like it gives you a chance every year and it provides stability for the organization instead of the ups and downs. In a few years the Rams will be basement dwellers and their coach will probably either be fired or retire. To me in todays NFL the ability to develop the QB is one of the most important aspects of a successful franchise. That should be the premiere coaching position on the team.

Go out and get a Mac Jones and allow him to be a game manager with a successful and stable organization. I doubt Mac Jones becomes as successful in any other organization. Then if a really good super star QB prospect comes along and you can get him in the draft then you get him. I feel like that is how the Steelers generally operated but they got behind a little bit in the team building aspect due to significant bad luck regarding (the above mentioned players) and paying a huge contract to Ben. The Bengals have what 2 - 3 more years and then their window closes. You watch I bet Mahomes never wins another Super Bowl again. I don’t think people realize how much of a weapon Hill was for him. I only see them getting progressively less talented as time goes on. The enigma in all of this is the Browns. They are paying a fully guaranteed FA QB contract and yet they have generally maintained all of their talent. I am assuming they are gong to start losing a lot of players next year.

I believe the Steelers still have one more year of team building through free agency and the draft before we get back to a super bowl contending roster. I believe with all of the bad luck we had with (see above list of players). we had to delve into free agency more than we typically would to get back to where we are accustomed to being. I am also confident that one of either Trubiscky or Pickett will be good enough to get us there in this system with this organization. This year however will be a year of figuring it all out and just the players gelling together and growing. The good thing is when we start trending up next year, I feel like the Ravens and Browns at least will be trending down.

The other factor here is the costs of other positions. I really feel like the WR position is going to start to go the way of the RB position. As more and more college WR’s come out ready to go from day one it just seems illogical to give a wr a second contract. In addition if you truly have a Franchise QB he should be able to develop a less talented WR into a number 1. We will see if thats the case with Mahomes. You also could say Josh Allen never really hit his stride until he got Diggs so it is really tough to evaluate. It is very interesting to see how teams focus their salary in team building.

The Steelers seem to emphasize the front seven on Defense and the WR’s and QB on Offense. At least that has been the way it is traditionally the last five years. I honestly think they just focus their money on their franchise players with the only exception being on an emphasis being on positions that can rush the QB. This was always Colberts emphasis and believe it will be Khans as well based on a statement he made the other day. Where as the Ravens seem to always focus a lot of their salary on CB’s, Safeities and Offensive line. It will be interesting to see how they have to adjust things now that they finally have to pay the QB position.

The one caveat to all of this that I felt the Steelers rarely tapped into is the aging veteran approaching his third contract who still has gas in the tank and brings value. Those types of players sometimes are willing to take less for an opportunity to play for a contender. This is where Brady because of his draw brings a lot of value to an organization. The Steelers never had that. Perhaps Mahomes and Allen will bring that same type of value to their organizations. I do feel like we can develop that a little bit on our defense with Flores, Heyward, Watt and Fitzpatrick being draws for other players. But nothing draws other players like a proven Franchise QB who has won a couple of Super Bowls.

7. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012

The Steelers as I see it have 5 years, including this draft, to build. Cam even said, I think I got about 5 years left.
    They did wonders in FA this year and I would think they see Kenny as being the guy come year 3 no matter what. That way you pick up the option and the 5th year of cap space for the QB is, comparitevly, small.

As far as the QB coach being the premier coach in the league I think it's already happened but not with the leap until Brian daboll this year. I think there are a ton of QB coaches and QBs that are now head coaches. Jax Indy nyg off the top of my head.

This is why I think there are a TON of 2 year deals that were thrown out this year on young dudes. In 2 years they will still be able to pay those guys that have worked out and cut those that can be replaced with draft talent or other FAs.

The Bengals have time and a really loading up. I still think their LBing core and Online won't let them get over the hump. This is why I love the Steelers beefing up Online in FA this year along with some young guys they like from last year. In transparency, I like Dan moore and think he could be a staple for years. Nothing flashy, nothing HoF, but solid and hits a PB or 2.

We are currently set for how I like the D to look. I think if we nail a Dline and CB in a year or 2 I think we'll be looking at a top 5 for 5 years.i just have my worries on the run game but a solid DT can solve that quickly.

I think KCs window is now officially narrower. They now fit into my mold of " div winners, home games, bounced in the playoffs round (sound familiar)? I think Mahommes gets another, to be fair.

I don't think we see khans mark on a draft until 24 where the confidence has grown a bit and he and weidl pull rank and say, this guy is it, hard stop. I also love the idea of not taking a WR in the 2nd round, thanks Kevin but man I could put money on it.

I think the formula for the Steelers is what the perennial top 10 drafting teams do also. The problem is the Steelers have the depth and consistency established, something the jets don't have, for instnace. That is key to being able to get your guy (QB) and, unless you hit every draft pick, sign up a few FAs to fill holes.

Rams are an outlier because I think the lions kept some of that first year hit. Also, the nuisance of building via draft pick trades is another topic that I think you and I could dissect ( game on it you're down).

Speaking of managing the cap while you can. Am I the only one thinking that we take TJ or Minkah and bite the bullet this year? As in, let's redo the contract ( assuming they are in) and front load the hell out of it? Tak the tuitt money and just let that cap space be gobbled up now, so that in 4 years we have a friendly situation?
    This is assuming Minkah and TJ are here in 4 years of course.