1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers DEFENSE

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Because in 2020, touchdowns take only slightly longer than the three and outs in 2019.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Yes. They won the Superbowl during that sack streak stretch.

4. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    You can't forget about Hilton as well. His value in the rushing defense can't be understated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Thanks! I asked my question wrong but you figured it out.

6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Statistically great. Fundamentally flawed. This is a tremendously unbalanced defense. It is not solid across the board, and therefore, susceptible to being taken advantage of.

The entire sucess of this defense rests on pressure from the front 4 and well-timed/disguised blitzes. Without that, we're pedestrian at best.

Our secondary isn't fast enough to make up for bad coaching that does not put them in winnable situations. Breakdowns in communication and lack of adequate preparation allow free runners with separation. Even journeymen qb's can find success against this defense if their OL holds up.

Fortunately, through nine games, our front 7 has created just enough havoc to bail out our secondary. Tomlin's "we're selling out to stop the run" line sounded plausible for a game or two, but now we're not even able to stop the run.

So while I agree that in totality, our defense is winning, an incomplete defense does not a great defense make. It can, and will, be exploited and falter before the season is over. Hopefully not when it really counts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The last two take them out of the elite category

8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Especially when they are playing mobile qbs. He has the speed and good football sense,

9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    When considering everything the Steelers defense is doing a good job. I don't believe they are to concerned with the run defense. Especially if they can continue to keep teams out of the end zone.

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    FED19885-6EDA-4716-A23F-CA7D9E7DF013.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Nice.
    What's the difference between Tackle for a loss, stuff percentage and negative rush attempts?

• Like Like x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    No clue it’s probably just made up stats to make us look good lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's working.

14. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not to be pedantic (well I guess I do mean to be pedantic) I'm assuming you meant overstated unless you were cracking wise :)

Sorry, i don't mean the be the grammar police but when I first read it I thought you were dissing hilton and I thought it was funny.

15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It`s a high risk high reward defense. So far we make more big plays than we give up. Kind of scary when we cannot stop the run sometimes, but maybe some of that is game plan related when it happens.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BigBensBigBong

Dec 14, 2014
    THE stat to look at first is points allowed for defenses and points scored for offenses. That is the bottom line stat. If in addition to that your defense disrupts the opposition with pressure, that is a huge plus. We know turnovers often help decide a game.

Yardage stats not worth much. To exaggerate correctness of that statement in principle I`ll give an extreme example. Team "x" is last in the NFL in yards allowed, but first in allowing fewest points. That defense is #1 no matter what anybody says. Keeping the other team out of the end zone is everything.

17. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I'll respectfully disagree. Though the secondary has not been elite, they have played well. Certainly as well, probably better, than any DB group in the past 10 years. Haden has been great, Minkah has found his game, and even Nelson and Edmunds have played better of late. Sutton has filled in nicely, and getting back Hilton will be huge. All in all, I would say this is as good a DB group as we have had in quite a while.

18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yes and no..

19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You're speaking emotionally, and that's okay. Fans are called fans for a reason. Terms like "great", "found his game", "have played better of late", and "filled in nicely" are completely subjective and are not quantifiable.

Explain how Haden has been great or how Minkah has found his game. I'd love to hear it. Just be warned, I'm already prepared to shoot gigantic holes in your explanations.

But if you just want to admit you're a fanboy, too geeked over being undefeated to actually see our deficiencies, I'll give you a big thumbs up.

20. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Interesting. Since we're talking hypotheticals to make a case, let me try one on for size.

So the best ball control offense in the NFL averages 40 minutes TOP. Unfortunately they have the worst red zone efficiency in the league and the least accurate kicker. They are scoring under 50% of the time in the red zone, but only field goals. The defense is only giving up an average of 15 points a game, tops in the league, but is allowing opposing offenses to score on nearly 75% of their posessions. In week 12, the team is -8 in turnover margin with a record of 2-9 and will miss the playoffs.

Now you tell me...is that a #1 defense?

21. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Loss of Bush has really turned what could have been a great D this season into one that can hopefully end as a good one. Our run D has become a problem and unless the kid from the Jets can step up and be trusted to understand the playbook and schemes it could be our eventual undoing.

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If our defenses, past and present, can fall apart with the loss of one player, we have bigger issues than just losing the player. We lost Ben last year and still won 8 games and what I am hearing is with out Bush it could be our "undoing"? If anything, we have been very fortunate in the injury dept compared to a lot of other teams so far this year.

23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I would love to see at least one shutout this season but in todays NFL that is nearly an impossibility. Kickers are just too good and even if a team is down 47-0 late in the 4th you just know a coach will go for an easy FG just to put some points on the board.

24. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I agree with you. However have you seen the stats since we lost Bush? Let’s hope they can right the ship.

25. BigBensBigBong

Dec 14, 2014
    I`ll try to unpack this. Seems you have a scenario where an offense is beyond horrible scoring, yet they hog the ball, so their defense plays only 20 minutes a game and therefor cannot be considered because they play only half the time of an average defense.

Ok. If such an abnormal situation occurred, that defense would be too difficult to compare. One always has to look at outliers, but I stand by my argument that in an apples to apples comparison of teams, points scored or allowed is by far the major consideration. Tweaking could be done by the sport commentators for unusual things, one of what you mention.