1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers defense is soft and no discipline

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Dec 10, 2017.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    we not paying attention to details and lack the fundamentals of tackling.
    is this coaching problem or players not paying attention?

2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Wrapping up tackles has been a problem all year. Maybe I've just noticed it more, but all season, I've seen so many tackles that should have been made that were missed because of lack of effort of follow-through. That's not going to work next week. I'm thrilled with where the Steelers are in the standings, of course, but I'd like to see this addressed sooner rather than later.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Here we are again heading down the stretch with the secondary A BIG CONCERN! This has become an annual event for the last decade! We really didn’t do squat proactively to shore up our secondary in the off season. No significant free agent signings and addressed as an afterthought in the draft although I do hope Sutton can develop. Haden fell into our laps, traded for Wilcox who must suck pretty bad not to be able to beat out Mitchell and we signed our annual scrap heap guy or two. Mike Hilton is the only bright spot at this point other than Haden.

Sorry to vent, but Colbert’s perennial failure to shore up our secondary is getting old and frustrating! Once again, we’re not ready for Brady and the Pats. Our only hope is to win in a shootout like we did last night.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    defense is just over aggressive, offenses figure this out and they run or just move out of the way lol.

if the team works as a unit and sticks to their assignment, we should improve, but they wont.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, they are missing their best cornerback and Haden's loss has been a huge problem.

The larger concern to me is the play of the front seven. They can't handle outside runs and they aren't getting nearly enough pressure on the passer. The Patriots will tear that defense apart all day unless they suddenly start showing more discipline and rediscover their pass rush.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have a long way to go on this side of the ball. :cool:

7. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    not to disagree with any of this- but what do the Ravens have to say this morning? This is a team (Baltimore) with the alleged best defense in the league, and they just got torched for nearly 600 yards and blew an 11 point lead.

Yes, I know off topic, but let's not forget the other part of the defensive story last night.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Steeler D that bad like last night.

Dumb selfish Penalties, missed tackles, wide open receivers, Dupree getting manhandled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    '87-'88 Steelers Ds were pretty horrific, but they had some good players waiting in the wings. Lloyd, Woodson, etc.

10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t think Harrison was in long enough to get his groove on.

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers defense is hurt. Bottom line, when you take two Pro Bowl caliber players in Shazier and Haden out, this is what your left with. There is a reason LJ Fort and Dirty aren't starters for other teams, good special teams players, and OK to fill in for a series or two, but you don't want them as your starters, you can also see why Spence wasn't employed either. I do think Spence will get better keep in mind he wasn't with a team and hadn't played in two months.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I accept our OLB aren't called on to be 10+ sack guys.

So that being the case, I expected more pass rush and run defense from Hargrave, Tuitt, and Heyward. Those guys are letting huge running lanes open up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The defensive line hasn't been making plays the last couple of weeks and that is a huge problem. Heyward and Tuitt have to disrupt things up front for this defense to work. Watt has been fine, though he does get caught inside a bit too often. Dupree is really hurting them. He isn't making big plays and he can't seem to set the edge.

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    agreed. look at cowboys with sean lee. 19 points with him and like 30 without allowed. Shazier is even better than lee. Add haden and a gimped Mitchell and that's what happens.

Fully healthy defense likely would've limited raisins to about 20-23 points.

15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    With what is left on defense. Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, and Allyuah are the healthiest of the bunch.

They need to play better, they got dominated at the point of attack against the Ravens. they can't get beat, because what is left at Linebacker, they can not pick up the slack.

One way to beat Brady is with the line, they must collapse the pocket, and make Brady bounce, he loves throw from the pocket, and isn't as comfortable outside of it.

If the Steelers beat the Pats, it will because of the defensive of line. They can't play like they did against Baltimore.

You have to rush 4 guys and play man with the rest. It's seems to be the one successful way to defeat Brady.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The linebackers are more of a problem than the D-line, IMO. The OLBs and ILBs are missing tackles right and left. Likewise with the entire secondary.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Considering that tackling has become a lost art or slowly is, from what I have seen, consistency has been the issue.

Nevermind the fundementals, discipline as well has been an issue. Without players like Haden and Shazier, this issue is magnified.

There really is no one collective group within the defense that "failed" that night. The entire defense "failed" to limit the offense.

18. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

We signed Haden and found Hilton. That's two out of 4 we improved with from last year. To me that's shoring up the secondary.
    Not talking about the maturation of Davis and Burns.

Just two years ago we had
    Gay
    Cockrell
    Mitchell
    Thomas

Today:
    Burns
    Haden
    Hilton
    Mitchell
    Davis

2013 Corners were:
    Cortez Allen
    Taylor
    Gay
    Brice McCain
    Antwon Blake

I think we made some significant strides in selecting players and picking up key players. Now Wilcox was a waste of oxygen but we still have Allen and Sutton waiting in the wings.
    Now maybe their development has been suspect. Burns and Davis are young, Mitchell is hurt but overall our secondary, when healthly is better than years before.

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I cannot imagine grown a ss men having to be told to wrap up a tackle .. omg

20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No doubt our secondary is better when Haden is starting. But had the Browns not been, well, the Browns, we would not have been able to sign Haden. I commend the Steelers for making a play for him after he was cut and I'm very happy that he wanted to be here. Otherwise, we'd really be hurting at corner. Hilton is a nice surprise, you're right about that, but it seems that Burns has regressed and after a good start to the season, Davis has joined him in his regression. I was hoping after the spanking Brady gave our secondary in the AFCCG last season that we would go all out to improve in that area but we really didn't proactively do that. If we hadn't gotten lucky with Haden and Hilton or our secondary would really be below par.

21. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    To be fair, the Ravens were getting away with a ton of holding that gets called most times.

But yes, speed at linebacker is severely missed.

22. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I still think Coach Tomlin has been saving a lot of the man coverage and man-under concepts for this week's game. I bet we see some pretty exotic looks and blitzes from the steelers this week.

At least I hope so...

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes we do, we can start next draft with a FS as our #2 selection.

24. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    It's pretty incredible how much different this defense is from the first 6-7 weeks.

It's hard to fathom how easily teams have gashed the defense the last couple weeks. Big plays galore.

Something has to give or someone has to get fired. With just a little defense, we'd be absolutely dominating right now.

Getting Haden back (whenever we do), will be massive.

25. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Our only hope for beating the Patriots is if Ben out destroys their defense more than Brady destroys our defense. If we don't get some pressure up the middle on Brady, we are doomed.

• Agree Agree x 1