1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers could make changes in the secondary

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Dec 23, 2017.

1. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I'd expect no less. Put the best 11 on the field.

Even when Joe Haden was in, we gave up far too many plays of 40 yards or more through the air. Artie has been responsible for at least four or more of those. Add the fact his run defense is still very suspect and you have a player who has regressed.

Cam Sutton, on the other hand, has performed very well in his limited playing time. Given his background as Tennessee's all time leader in pass deflections, willingness in run suppoet and his high football IQ, it is safe to assume that Tomlin sees more promise from Sutton than Burns now.

That being said, outside of on field deficiencies, I wonder if there is more to Burns' demotion than that.

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Put in anybody who can get us passed Houston. We beat them, we absolutely will get a first round bye. No way Cleveland comes into the Burgh and beats us if it's a must win.

4. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Burns keeps taking the bait on the double move and giving up the big play and he’s missed several tackles. Him and Sensabaugh gave up too much yardage. Mitchell can’t get over the top in time when they overplay

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If a benching will put a spark in Burn's azz then I'm all for it. Plus I'm a big Sutton fan so that helps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As am I.

Liked the pick when we took him. Liked what I saw of him in limited action these past couple of weeks.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If Sutton is outperforming burns than so be it

8. TXSteelerFan69

TXSteelerFan69 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Exactly. How many times can he bite on the double move or get caught looking in the backfield this year?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I remember when Ike Taylor was benched. It worked.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Burns leads all CBs with penalties he has 12.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not surprised.

I initially thought that he could apply his Jiu-Jitsu skills more effectivley. How incorrect I was. :lolol:

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I hope it does for Artie.

Many of us expected more from him this season. That has not transpired. Here is hoping that lighting the proverbial fuse will.

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've been impressed with Cam's football IQ. Artie's...not so much.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Sutton doesn't have Burns's physical gifts, but he seems to be doing a much better job minimizing big plays. That is going to be huge against the Texans, who have outstanding receivers.

Maybe a switch would get through to Burns and teach him to stop getting caught peeking in the backfield. It sure would be nice if he could get his act together by the playoffs.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I spent time this AM watching all of the Pats’ pass plays vs us about 4-5 times each on the All 22, and Sutton was pretty impressive for a rookie handling the savvy Pats’ receivers all game. He was sticky in man coverage, and played his responsibility without incident on the few zone snaps.

After watching that game, I have to really commend our front office for the shift to man-capable corners in one offseason. Cockrell was an underrrated outside zone corner, but he wasn’t going to play press man. Haden and Sutton are both better. Hilton is basically becoming the player that I expected Golson to be. IMO Burns is pretty decent in press man, but he lacks instincts for any other kind of coverage.

I think we have evolved to the point where our corners are better suited to press man than zone or off man. That’s only one season removed from almost all zone-only corners.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Burns is soft he will retire in a season or 2 .

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hopefully Artie will devote more time to his craft/ film room. He can play better than he is.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Still have this problem on the field.

As a Burns supporter he has regressed. His stupid cockiness crossing his arms when he makes a simple play after he get torched over and over gets on my nerves. Sutton has excelled and deserves the start. Hopefully Burns gets humbled and makes the necessary changes and up's his game.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    so be it. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You’re probably right. But if the stains lose to the Bears don’t underestimate what they will be playing for week 17 either. Pride is a hell of a motivator.

They have a solid defense. I suspect their shoddy QB play and erratic head coach will be enough for us to win this year by a couple scores. But they are a team next year that will shock people (assuming Huge Jackass is fired). They can run the ball and play stout defense

21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ridiculous! But he's picked that up from Mike Mitchell, the king of cockiness, who does that crap after making tackles after the run goes for big plays and first downs! :facepalm:

22. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    As many times as Dupree runs past the play.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    In related news Mike Mitchelle is being replaced by a patch of extra long grass . The theory similar to a broke clock being right twice a day . At least the long grass has a chance to be in the right spot at the right time . It has been determined that is impossible for Mike...

I support the move.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Personnel weaknesses do not just apply to the front seven. Your backend has to be equally as strong to win games.

Do that and your chances of success on defense increase.

25. steelersfansince84

steelersfansince84 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Couldn't agree more