1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

steelers.com front page says..........

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 22, 2012.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    A lot has changed at ILB

Posted 9 hours ago

Bob LabriolaSteelers Digest @SteelersDigest

Since the way the position is played is changing, it’s appropriate that the people being asked to play it are changing as well.

When the Steelers defense takes the field as a unit during the first of 10 OTAs today, there will be no No. 51 in the center of the huddle. There still is a No. 51, but rookie Sean Spence will be on the sideline when the call goes out for “first Okie.”

James Farrior is gone, and while there will be attention paid to the issue of who replaces him at inside linebacker, an even bigger issue for the Steelers as they prepare for the 2012 NFL season is how the position of inside linebacker has evolved and whether they have the personnel to deal with that.

Used to be that inside linebackers made tackles on running plays. Find the ball, get the man carrying it on the ground. That’s how Jack Lambert played it once Chuck Noll switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in the early 1980s. Then David Little after him, and Levon Kirkland after him and Earl Holmes after him and Farrior after all of them. But running the football isn’t as big a part of contemporary NFL offenses, and teams have become both unapologetic for that and creative in ways not to do it.

Take the Baltimore Ravens, for example. A division rival, a team that embraces the violence of the sport, an offense that still will line up a 260-pound fullback in front of a 218-pound tailback. Yes, the Ravens do that, but they now also have the capability to complement that beef with a couple of athletic tight ends who have to be covered down the field. The 275-pound inside linebacker might work OK when the task calls for butting heads with Vonta Leach and getting Ray Rice on the ground, but when it comes to running with Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson, well, not so much.

And besides, as linebackers coach Keith Butler explains it, even against the run, the position has come to require more stealth and speed than strength and power.

“The day of the (isolation) with the middle linebacker is almost gone,” said Butler. “Everybody is using tight ends as fullbacks, and sometimes they use them when trying to lead and sometimes they don’t. A lot of stuff today is misdirection and trying to fool you or out-number you one way, and then give you a different look coming back the other way. A lot of that requires the linebackers to have the ability to read now-a-days, not so much to get down and stuff a hole. Sometimes you have to (stuff a hole) on the goal line when you have to take on a big running back, but we’re taking on Ray Rice, we’re not taking on Jerome Bettis anymore.”

Without Farrior, someone will be taking on the role of defensive signal-caller, and both Butler and coordinator Dick LeBeau firmly believe that someone will be Larry Foote. And both of them are quite comfortable with that.

“I don’t think we will miss a beat there. Larry has called signals quite often,” said LeBeau. “The other comforting factor for me is we are signaling in the calls anyhow, so whoever is out there is going to be taking our calls. It’s the poise and the field generalship of the man whose voice they are hearing in the huddle – he has to command their respect, he is our quarterback, he is the voice they hear. I’m very glad Larry Foote is going to be that guy.”

The other guys the Steelers have in the upper portions of the depth chart at the position are Lawrence Timmons, Stevenson Sylvester, Mortty Ivy, and the aforementioned rookie draft pick, Spence. From these five most likely will be the group the Steelers take into the start of the regular season, and the group figures to include no more than four.

While much of the early interest could focus on the Steelers adapting to Farrior’s absence, the critical element of the whole thing should be the continued development of Timmons. In the run-up to the 2011 season, Timmons, the former No. 1 pick of the team’s 2007 draft, looked very much like the next in the long line of excellence the Steelers have had at linebacker. Evidently management agreed, because Timmons was rewarded with a contract extension before the team left Saint Vincent College last summer.

The two sacks and one interception Timmons would contribute during the regular season weren’t up to the splash-play expectations he carried last season, but both Butler and LeBeau commended him on some of the team-first things he did that likely impacted his individual statistics.

“Lawrence Timmons moved around. He’s played inside and outside,” said Butler in reference to Timmons being the go-to guy when the Steelers were forced to compensate for the injuries to James Harrison and/or LaMarr Woodley.

“I would prefer to leave Lawrence inside and give him a chance to get some of the recognition. I feel like he’ll play well enough to get the recognition that he deserves, because I believe he’s one of the better linebackers in the league. If we can keep him at one position, inside, then he has a chance to be one of the better linebackers in the league.”

Another interesting contestant here is Sylvester, a fifth-round pick in 2010 who looks most like the prototype inside linebacker, and who has done some prototypical things in terms of what the position long has required.

“Stevenson has made his living doing a great job in the special teams aspect, and I always found that guys who can excel in that area generally can transfer it over to scrimmage play,” said LeBeau. “You’re moving in space, locating the ball, getting through blockers and getting the ball carrier on the ground. These are exactly the things you have to do as defensive player. I’m usually comforted by a defender who is doing well on special teams. Sylvester has done that. He played some for us, not a whole lot of game experience, but in the preseason when he went out there he did a very fine, capable job. He’s going to have to step up and give us depth there. I’m very confident that he will.”

And as for Spence, right now he’ll need to follow the path Sylvester initially used to earn a roster spot, because, as Butler already said, “He’s not going to start at ‘mack’ linebacker over Lawrence Timmons. That isn’t going to happen. He’s going to help us on special teams.”

this tells alot, but i'm not sure it will remain so this year.

we all know larry foote isn't good in coverage. SS we don't know about, yet. i think before the year is over we will be seeing more of spence or some other form of defense to help out in coverage. TE and RB coverage are going to be key this year.

as they talk about in the article about the days of the 250lb. ILB are numbered. it could be part of the reason hightower wasen't as high on some peoples boards. 5 years ago, he may have been top 10.

enjoy. this is from steelers.com. :cool:

2. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

I'm a bit surprised by Butler and Lebeau's enthusiasm for Foote though. I guess I can understand since he has experience but it's freaking Larry Foote!. It's also kind of telling that they still don't see Timmons as the guy to lead the defense.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    your welcome.

i am also CS. about foote that is. as far as timmons, maybe it's a lack of trust or maybe they have him doing so many things already they don't want to put that on him too. it could be better served at another position and the only other one that can communicate with the d-line and LB'ers. the secondary makes they're changes based alot on what the front 7 are doing. i also don't think farrior was some kind of genius either that another guy couldn't pick this up. :cool:

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The bit about 5 players competing for 4 spots is a bit dis-spiriting, given that they seem to essentially be saying that Foote is a shoe-in because he can call their plays. On the one hand, I would probably pick all the others above Foote, as they all have the capability of playing averagely, and some have the potential to play better, whereas Foote seems to be just around average.
    On the other hand, I'm wary of falling for the "he's younger, therefore he must be better" trap. We do at least know what we have in Foote, which we don't really yet with Sly, Ivy and Spence.
    However, I still say keep Ivy on the squad because he has the best first name.

5. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks mac.. It kind of states what alot of us were thinking in regard to smaller LB's. The part of the article that stymied me was the love affair by Lebeau for Larry Foote. I know it's blasphemy but I think DL may be losing his edge.

6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011

I love DL but I have said before that I think the game might be passing him by. Hell, at some point, it passes everyone by and evolves.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Great article, Mac. Thanks for posting it. I too am a little stymied by the Larry Foote love. :scratch:

8. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    SMH @ all the Foote hate.

9. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I dont get all the FOOTE hate either. Larry Foote is a solid defensive Linebacker. He knows the defense, is rarely out of position and almost always makes the sure tackle. I agree he doesnt have the speed others have, but he makes up for this with being in the right spot or at least being where he is supposed to be. Foote is a quality LB'er and deserves some credit and respect.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Timmons should be calling the plays. He make the big bucks now, and he is going to be on this team years from now, as Larry Foote most likely will not.

Who says the Mack can't call the plays?

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Saying that Foote is perhaps not the starter we ideally want doesn't really equate to hate, though.

I'm not wanting to chuck him out because we have someone younger, on the sole basis that they're younger. It's more surprising how much the coaches are bigging him up that's surprising, given that his on-field play has been less than spectacular.

Not necessarily bad, just not spectacular.

12. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    SMH @ gpguy.. Who's hating on Foote?? All I see are posters a little surprised by the "love" for Foote by DL. If Foote is so good why did we let him walk in the first place? He's a servicable player that'll do fine until we upgrade his position like we did a few years ago. To suggest that he's the only one capable of calling the plays is ridiculous.

13. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, I'm not seeing the Foote hate, as apposed to actual foot hate, either. Foote was always a "good" LB that has lost his step as he gets older. I think the issue is that "good" at the LB position for the Steelers is not quite the same "good" as it would be for any other team. We are the Steelers and we are known for having the best LB core. It has been that way for as long as some of you are old. Besides, Foote even when he was on the top side of "good" was never a cover guy. No matter how you look at it, LBs in this league need to have some coverage skill.

14. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    No Foote hate here. Just a bit surprised by the Foote love coming from DL and Butler. I see him as an average player with a slight edge because of his experience. I'm probably more surprised that they apparently don't see Timmons as the guy to lead the D. Not saying I do either I guess, but surprised that Timmons hasn't proven himself worthy by now.

15. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011

Man that's a lot of typing you did

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  17. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

I can confirm, that indeed that is a lot of typing. :lolol:

18. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, it was tough, copy-paste. :hehehe: :cool:

20. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That is an old chart - it has players on it who are not even on the team...

21. mogadiba

mogadiba Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    From what I've seen of Timmons in interviews and whatnot, he sounds kind of timid. Not extreme like Polamalu, but just sort of soft-spoken. I don't think "leadership" is too high up on his list of qualities. He's a go-get-em guy, not a talk-em-up type (extreme example: Ray Lewis) I think this is why DL wants Foote calling the plays more than anything else. I took this to be a key quote from the article:

"It’s the poise and the field generalship of the man whose voice they are hearing in the huddle – he has to command their respect, he is our quarterback, he is the voice they hear. I’m very glad Larry Foote is going to be that guy.”

Larry Foote is just a man who commands respect (apparently), knows the play calls. and can still play well enough to make the team. I say go with it.

22. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Being vocally timid and calling plays and making adjustments are unrelated. And you don't need to be loud to be a leader. Troy's a great leader. So was Aaron Smith. Will Timmons ever be a big-mouth vocal leader? Probably not, but why does that have to be the same guy as the leader or the guy who calls the plays? Joey Porter never called any plays, and he was supposedly the emotional leader. And we do have vocal guys on D, like Clark, Foote, Woodley, Keisel, and potentially some of the young guys that I don't know about yet.

Timmons does seem very quiet, and he did take awhile to break into the starting lineup, but I haven't heard any reports of him being stupid. In fact in scouting him this year, I found him out of position less often than Larry Foote, while playing more. I would think after several years of starting, he'd be ready to take the green dot. It's bugging me a bit that he won't get it this year, but I'm still not taking it as a sign that they have no faith in him, because I know how truly enamoured they are with Foote, for whatever reason.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    in preseason, i wonder who will get the green dots? just foote and sylvester? will ivy or brooks or mcfadden get a shot? spence? they only get two per game don't they? :cool: