1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Coaches Have Double-Called Defenses

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jul 21, 2018.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Any suitable candidates to replace Butler?

While I personally like Butler, should this season be another one of woes in relations to aspects like the rush defense or communication breakdowns, I would question him then.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If there is s communication problem, naturally it goes back to coaching.

I read that article twice and other than the headline, I’m not sure I’m seeing where it’s said different coaches called different defenses. Are the defensive plays called into one player? Is that the same person who then calls alignments or adjustments? Was that Shazier and it got worse when he went out? Was it Mitchell who didn’t know what he was doing let alone everyone else?

I remember with Bostic and Burnett, when they were signed, comment was made they were good at communication. Is this the solution?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If the defense doesn't improve this year we are in trouble. Bostic & Burnett must stay healthy & tackle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I had much the same questions.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I honestly don't know who they could have brought in, but I'm not an NFL head coach or general manager. I don't have access to that community. But I can see the communication breakdowns that have been a constant issue since Butler took over the defense. I can see that the Steelers no longer seem to be able to make in-game adjustments on defense, something that had been a strength when LeBeau was there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    The lamest of all defenses: "Who else can we hire? There is no one."

BS

Surely there are some young hot shots who would make great DCs. Who heard of Sean McVey before he took HC job for the Rams? Doug Peersen did OK as HC for Philly. There are guys out there. What is so great about Butler? Show me where he has inspired or schemed on an above average level. The players have never responded to him, unlike LeBeau who was virtually worshiped by the players. (I am not advocating an 85-year-old as DC and I felt they took at least 1 year too long in moving him; my point is DL was special at one point and Butler never was.)

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Outside of Gus Bradley a couple of years ago, whom I was very high on, do you have any candidates?

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know this is gonna go over like a fart in church but I would take a chance on SexyRexy. At least our D would have some personality. Say what you want about him as a HC but as a DC he was effective.....especially against NE. With a team that's built to win now and a O that is already top of their game,he could inject some swagger and attitude to a D that is missing just that....

9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Yea, that's a fair barometer: Ask some guy who isn't in the profession to name hot DC candidates. I am sure if I was in that space I could rattle off several.

10. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I wouldn't be against it out of hand. I think he ran a 4-3 though. He loved massive D linemen who could control the LOS. I think Tomlin would feel threatened by his big personality though.

11. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    This has been a consistent theme to Tomlin's teams for the last 8 years. We are sloppy on both sides of the ball. We are sloppy in our play calling and preparation. This is exactly why we lose to some of the worst teams in the league with regularity. I don't see us winning a SB until we become a disciplined team. Harrison was stating the obvious...and he's not the only person who's said it. I don't think his comments were sour grapes...he doesn't care..he's an honest guy. He says what he thinks. I don't hear players coming to Tomlin's defense either. I've heard players voice this same stuff. I believe Ben has said it more than once. The FO needs to make a change if we don't make it to the SB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Well said. Serious question. Has any former player ever come out and publicly pointed out Tomlin as a master game strategist? Has any player ever come out and credited Tomlins game planning as a reason the Steelers won? I know players give him props all the time for his motivation and personality. But I have never heard anyone give him credit as a game manager.

13. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    And you never will.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You should switch teams, all you do is whine and complain about the Steelers :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    After last season ended I said Arizona former DC Bechter would be a good hire, I think he went to the Giants.

16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I guess the ultimate question is, who is responsible for calling the second play and why do they still have the job?

Defensive plays come from the Defensive Coordinator and adjustments are made by the defense captain or designated signal calling linebacker. There is a line of command in the whole thing.

Tomlin et al was praising both Terrell Edmunds and Marcus Allen for their communication skills, which might be telling where exactly the problem was.

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You also don't know more than the Rooney's and Colbert :shrug:.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well you sure act like an expert on everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Just an expert on how bad we will be.:cool:

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ain’t that the truth.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ve dug around and found several articles covering bits on this and player quotes about the confusion.

Shazier was the signal caller and none of this confusion occurred until he went out. Williams and Spence talked about it so it wasn’t coming from them. Not Watt, he’s a rookie. Not Bud either.

As you asked, why do they still have a job? I don’t think they do. More and more, it’s looking like Mitchell was the source.

Tomlin also praised the communication skills of Bostic and Bennett. Clearly he knows there was a problem. Now, will it be fixed?

I’m not seeing this being a problem this season.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016

[​IMG]

IT'S A JOKE!!!!!!!!:):):):D:D:D:D;+);+);+):D:D:D

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The only problem with that concept according to James Harrison anyways as he in context suggests it is the coaches and not the players causing the confusion.

I wonder if it is a Mike Tomlin overriding Keith Butler or vise versa.

24. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Never said that. I'm just pointing out things to work on.

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    i will believe it when I see it. Right now they are moving linebackers from right to left. They are trying to make a safety play linebacker, and a cornerback potentially play safety. You say Bostic has been praised for communication yet they list Dirty Red as a starter. None of this sounds like they are fixing communication to me. Hell Im confused even thinking about the defense. We dont even know if we are a 4-3 team or a 3-4 team anymore. Who cares!? Its all sub packages now anyways! :thumbs_up::lolol: