1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Coaches Have Double-Called Defenses

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jul 21, 2018.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The last few years DL was here the secondary was bad and the team was struggling with the run as well. It was a situation when the entire defense got old at the same time and most of the player we drafted didn't pan out. I do believe coaching is a problem, you can point to some communication breakdowns in the secondary being on the players because it does happen to every team.

The issue with the Steelers is it happens just about every game, didn't we give up the most TDs over 50 yards last year and over 30 the season before? How many times do we vent on this board when we consistently see 3rd and 10+ converted into first downs multiple times per game? It happens because of the players a couple times in a game, but when it happens over and over and over then you have to look at the coaching.

I think Butler got a pass on being fired because MT knows he micro-managed the defense and imagine how mad and what would be said to the media if you go got fired because you boss over ruled your calls which led to some bad defensive plays? We know Tomlin did some micro managing but we only speculate to how much, a fired Keith Butler talking to the media is maybe something Tomlin doesn't want to happen.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He's been promoted again, his new job is to tell coach when not to do something stupid.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Exactly!

4. m4mica

m4mica Active Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Kind of ironic that they were calling multiple plays on D... sure wasn't the case on offense when they sometimes had zero plays called. The coaching behavior during the Jesse James replay review says it all. They kept cutting over to Tomlin just watching the big screen. Biggest play of the year and the head coach was just a spectator along for the ride. He, Haley and Ben should have been huddled up and had multiple plays ready... and certainly not the garbage that they ended up calling.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe they don't have the talent to be a overall dominant defense duh, if you're so ticked off go root for another team :shrug:.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Captain Obvious :bowdown:

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    How can you know a guy isn't a HC when he's first hired genius?

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This. I understand some criticism, but a few of these guys are just way over the top with their criticisms to the point that nothing makes them happy. And at the same time they are a huge buzz kill for legit fans. I get tired of reading the same nonstop bashing of the team I love. At times it’s almost like reading posts on a rival teams message board.
    I too get somewhat frustrated with some of the things the Steelers do, but I’m going to do my job as a fan and support the team.

I’m not sure if some of these guys are just so spoiled by the past successes of our team or they’re just miserable negative people. Either support the team or move on and let the rest of us enjoy ourselves.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    See... this is the crap that I've been whining about. Tomlin/Colbert have proven to be genius material when it comes to offense. WR, O-line, etc.

D-side = :facepalm:

With that said.... I like TJ Watt, Hilton and Joe Haden. Totally legit players who bring it every week.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Bcause im not a ****ing sheep, lol

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    These Sheep type comments bug me.
    If you’re a fan you’re supposed to support.
    For some reason some fans think that if you support and have faith in your team it’s somehow a knock on your mental toughness and makes you gullible or a “Sheep” which is simply not true.
    I mean if your kid is playing little league baseball and his team is playing the best in the league do you sit in the stands and bad mouth the coach the whole game and tell all the other parents how bad our team sucks or do you cheers your kid and his team on?

12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I will always support the Steelers, but just because someone tells me something, doesn't mean i'm gona buy into it, ... Its not my fault i was right abt Tomlin...lol

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    He was told he’d been drafted by a legitimate NFL franchise, so...

14. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    No because you knew he wasn't doing anything special as DC in Minnesota. I don't think Min lost sleep over this, Right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have no clue what you are talking about?

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Correct. I did not word that correctly either.

What I meant was that he will make a full transition towards that Assistant Head Coach role now that Dunbar is here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I believe Watt did state he lives in Jacksonville if I recall correctly.

Perhaps that is a good option?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Make me.

19. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Yes, I live south-east of J-ville, at the beaches, on the east side of the intercoastal (often referred to as "the Island.")

[​IMG]

And, yes, I do follow the Jags, as they are my current home-town team. But like all the other thousands of transplanted Steeler fans who moved here, the Steelers are my clear #1 team. I still represent Steelers in my gear and have yet to buy a single Jags shirt, hat, whatever.

And, as a side, Jag fans thinks that once you move here, you should switch your fandom over to Jags; I've been asked a plethora of times why I don't switch teams. They just don't understand Steeler Nation, and perhaps, never will.

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    In other words, Haden had been lied to by the Browns. Just an attempt at humour.

I find the idea that Harrison was “lied” to (in the same way a benched starter has been lied to because they were told they were starters? Or anyone dropped in training camp after signing a contract has been lied to?) and therefore justified in acting up difficult to take seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I understand. I wound up living in Chicago for 5 years overlapping when they won the super bowl. I still love the Bears, but obviously I’m a die hard Steelers fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Different strokes for different folks ....it's as simple as that. Some people choose to criticize and voice their opinions and some choose to give the team the benefit of the doubt more often than not. Either approach doesn't make you any less of a fan. I can't understand why you have a hard time with this....your "job" as a fan is to be passionate about your team,in the way that you choose. TSF message board wouldn't exist without opposing thoughts and opinions. Let's just be grateful to TTF and ourselves no matter the disagreements and style of fandom that we have this place to call home....

• Like Like x 2
  23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This actually makes a lot of sense for why we are seeing so many blown/big chunk plays with players looking at each other in blame. We've also seen from sideline footage in the Patriots game and the San Diego game a few years ago, Tomlin telling them to go for it and run the ball. I get the HC has final say and can override. Deciding for punting or going for it, or offensive play for a big 3rd or 4th down. I just feel like he should let Butler do his job. Just give them one play as soon as possible to give them the best chance to succeed. No need to overthink it. Let your captain on defense make adjustments if need be.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is definitely disturbing to read, though it makes sense based on what we've seen since Butler took over the defense. Of course, this thread devolved into the usual Tomlin bashing and he absolutely bears some of the responsibility for the lack of organization on discipline on defense. My biggest issue is his refusal to fire Butler. He absolutely should have been gone after that ugly playoff loss to the Jaguars.

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Some of this may be sour grapes on Harrison's part, but the Steelers lack of discipline has been a recurring theme on this message board and in the media for the last several years. Harrison's shenanigans while he was here was symptomatic of that. Tomlin is not a disciplinarian and never will be. The Steelers won the Super Bowl with him as HC because they had many veteran players who were self-disciplined and did a good job of policing themselves and the younger, less mature players. Now you've got a lot of me first players who aren't willing to sacrifice their own individual notoriety for team success. I'm beginning to doubt that the Steelers will ever win another Super Bowl with Tomlin as head coach BUT I truly hope I'm wrong about this.