1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Coaches Have Double-Called Defenses

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jul 21, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    James Harrison on the Steelers coaches screwing up the defensive calls.

“I feel like it needs to be more disciplined, some of the things that they do coaching wise, I feel like some of the situations that we were in when we were there as far as time management, calling of defenses,” Harrison said of Tomlin’s coaching. “We had a situation where we had double-called defenses because, you know, one thing was said and then someone said something else. So, you got half the defense playing one defense, the other half playing something else. So, you get situations out there where it looks bad, like, oh, this guy doesn’t know what he’s doing. Well, he’s just playing a different defense possibly on that play than what the other half of the defense was playing.”

This explains a lot to me. How many times have we all seen wide open gaps in the defense and confused players looking at each other after a big gain.

https://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/...have-double-called-defenses-quite-frequently/

2. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I mentioned this in the harrison thread but either way this is bad coaching because it happened quite often according to James. Communication amongst the players has been the blame for a couple of years now but it seems the blame needs to be on the coaches and that part starts with the head man as the guy that needed to fix it. Maybe he was part of the problem.

Let's go to the offensive side with RF. The talk so far is how prepared he is far ahead of just the next play and unaffected by confusion. I am paraphrasing of course but what a difference this should make compared to the Chinese fire drill happening on the defensive side.

This is the pros. This should not be an issue this many years in a row. If a player is seeing this and it continues, who should get the blame? The players? We are trying to win a championship and I'm not sure we can with this staff. Brings up the question in my mind if it really was a win with cowhers players and in their prime was enough to overcome the coaching at the time. What else is in a mess here? Drafting? Tackling? Situational play calling? Development? You make the call.:cool:

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    This is what happens when a head coach is changing plays counter acting the DC who should be the lone voice calling the defense, tomlin causing confusion on defense is the main culprit since he isnt a good defensive coach to begin with and butler should tell him either I run the defense or you can find someone else to let you co manage it.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it was happening before last year diamond. i think the problem is MT. you have part of this correct but im going to add something to your thought here. is MT trying to mentor butler/ is butler just a figurehead for MT to become the head of the defense because he thinks he knows best? MT couldnt do this with DL still here but as soon as DL was on his way out MT started messing with the DBs in camp. remember he was trying to slowly teach the tampa two system to them a little at a time. he had these young defensive coaches like lake, olsavsky, porter, and butler in a new job. next we here of him calling defenses. the D has been a mess since. he could show these younger coaches just how much he knows and pass the blame when its not working. butler looks bad, the position coaches look bad but the real culprit is the head man. just my opinion though but man this all stinks like the confusion is self inflicted by one source and now he needs seasoned coaching to help fix it. (bradley and dunbar) much like he has done on offense with the coaching has begun. surround yourself with knowledge and make yourself look knowledgeable. (munchak, mann, now drake, daniels, saxon and fichtner). they have let this go on far too long and our window may have closed before its figured out. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with most of this. I definitely think MT is overruling Butler and changing calls. Ive thought that for a while now. You cant have two guys calling the sets or your going to have mass confusion. That being said, Butler sucks. He replaced Lebeau and really didnt bring anything new to the table. MT wouldnt have to change play calls if he had confidence in Butler. If Cowher were still coaching Butler would have been fired 2 years ago.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think LeBeau still being here for that SB was more of an impact than having "Cowhers player's". (an argument I find hard to prove one way or the other). MT was a new HC and he wasn't going to intrude on the defense with a respected LeBeau. Once Butler came on, MT saw his window to finally start getting his fingers in there.
    The communication problems are definitely on the coaches though, whoever it is. Players can't execute when its a free for all. Haven't been a fan of Butler and these things keep coming up and reinforcing it. But does all the fault lie with Butler or with MT interfering. I don't think we will know for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Diamond

May 26, 2012

If a HC doesnt trust his DC he should fire him not micro manage him and there isnt a DC worth his salt that would put up with MT micro managing his defense ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    All of what you are saying is the reason he shouldn't be a head coach. But honestly as a head coach he kind of needs/needed to get his prints on how he wants to run things. Only that we are now realizing he isn't very good at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It was falling apart before Butler took over. 2013(?)season, when they started 0-4. The Vikes game in England always stood out to me as a bumbling mess. A lot of pre snap (and post snap) confusion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Ugh those are some ugly plays. :facepalm:

12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    This is it exactly. Anyone remember Tim Lewis? Cowher had no confidence in Lewis and made the change. MT should do the same. Bring in a solid DC and then stand back and let him do his job.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    By halfway thru the season, that was the Vikes only W.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Any chance Harrison would have been less confused about the defense if he hadn’t been sleeping in the team meetings?

He’s just a grump. And I know grumps. And if I ever meet him, I’m telling him you posted this.

15. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Heres a report that shows how lax tomlin has become:

a third report, which surfaced on Friday about star running back Le'Veon Bell skipping most of the walk-through practice on Saturday, the day before the Jacksonville playoff game, and then showing up late on the day of the contest (something that, according to Pittsburgh Post-Gazette beat writer Ed Bouchette, who brought this all to light, was not uncommon for other players during the season), is quite alarming, alarming enough to make that first report seem not so laughable.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...d-as-bad-as-he-does-right-now-news-rumors-nfl

https://defpen.com/is-mike-tomlin-the-nfls-most-overrated-head-coach/

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    This post makes about as much sense as me trying to read this in Arabic.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Butler has improved the pass rush from what it was in LeBeau's last few seasons. They set a franchise record last season with 56 sacks.

18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    It's almost like, some of us have been pointing out coaching failures for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Id rather have less sacks and not get gashed for 200 yards on the ground. Id rather have less sacks and better communication in the secondary.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    The coaches dont even communicate so how can you expect the players to do it, butler calls one defense and tomlin calls another, it's hopeless under that scenario?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    Its only a matter of time for everyone to realize

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    What's that saying? Lies, damn lies and statistics? A lot of those sacks were against terrible teams, like the 0-16 Browns. They also gave up a lot of big plays in their obsession to get sacks. We got ripped up the middle on rushing plays because of it. They left massive gaps all over. I am ticked off that this team is a bunch of clowns, piling out of a little car. What an embarrassment. Tomlin should be grilled for this s---t. WTF is wrong with the Rooneys, allowing this mess?

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious x 1
    • Winner x 1
  23. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

24. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Don't know but if true that's some scary stuff for a Professional team in this day and age.
    I will say I don't care for the lax policies in regard to players and discipline. The chin was no rocket scientist but he could and would hold you accountable for your actions. I do miss that much.
    Hope Bradley helps.

• Agree Agree x 1