1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers brass on hand at Bama pro day

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Mar 7, 2018.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I did watch Tony Brown in that game and I watched him give up 2 TDS in man coverage including the game winner to lose the National Championship game on an obvious rub route.

That aside, Evans played pretty well that game. Not his cleanest but I thought he played better than Reuben Foster.

At the end of the day Evans had 11 tackles, a sack, was involved on both FF plays that resulted in turnovers. He had a pass knocked dow. He pribably accounted for atleast 5 hurries. He played a spy on Watson for nearly 50% of the snaps. He gave up 3 receptions in man coverage for a grand total of maybe 20 yards.

He was more active than Reuben, Harrison and Minkah that game. Had he been a bit sharper he would have had over 15 tAckles.

DeShaun Watson looks like a star to be in the NFL.

Evans played him twice and sacked him 3 times. That ain't easy.

Evans can hold his own in short pass coverage. He is better in zone than man. He can play the run well. He can blitz from the inside. He can blitz from the outside.

He doesn't excel in any one area but I project he will be a great overall LB just like Lawrence Timmons.

I project he goes to either Buffalo or New Orleans.

2. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I appreciate the time and effort that goes into this type of breakdown. Well done.

But, with all due respect, a random, middle of the season game vs Tennessee isn't on the top of my priority list.

I want to know how he did on the 2015 Bama team vs Clemson in the title game.

On the 2016 squad, how'd he do vs a big rival like LSU. How about the SEC championship game vs Florida. In the semi final vs Washington. Vs Clemson in the title game.

In 2017, big rival games vs LSU and Auburn. Semi final game vs Clemson and the National title game vs Georgia.

In Bama's biggest games is where Evans played his best ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That's where I disagree steel. All the games matter. You can't have that important of a position disappear during the less important games. If Evans had 15 tackles in that Clemson game as you say in 2016 then he didn't do much in the other 13 he played in that year. He ended the season with 53 tackles on the year. Take away those 15 in one game and he made 38 tackles in the other 13 games, and that's under 3 tackles a game. Not near timmons type numbers. That is actually pretty bad. That is how we lose games to the Chicago bears during the season. I'm sticking by my assessment of him. We will have to agree to disagree on this kid. I just see some better LBers out there. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Timmons 2005
    13G
    35 tackles
    3.5 TFL
    3 sacks

Timmons 2006
    13G
    79 tackles
    18 TFL
    5 sacks
    1 INT

Evans 2016
    13G
    52 tackles
    4.5 TFL
    4 sacks
    1 FF

Evans 2017
    12G
    74 tackles
    13 TFL
    6 sacks
    1 FF

:shrug:

Timmons @ Combine
    6'1
    234 lbs
    33" arms
    9.25" hands
    4.67 40
    25 reps @ 225
    35" Vertical
    123" Broad
    4.32 20yd shuttle
    6.89 3 cone

Evans @ Combine
    6'2
    232 lbs
    32.25" arms
    10" hands
    No 40 ---- likely 4.65-4.70
    No bench
    30" Vertical
    116" Broad
    4.36 20 yd shuttle
    6.95 cone

I see Evans as a slightly less explosive version of Lawrence Timmons. Timmons went at #15. If Evans was there at #28, it's a go all day for me.

I had Buffalo and New Orleans as the options. Buffalo could be gearing up to secure their QB of the future, while I hear the Saints are letting Brees talk to other teams?

I'm always find to agree to disagree. Just don't let any biases interfere. The "but he's a Bama LB" doesn't hold up well.

5. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Rashaan Evans had a groin injury in their season opener but he played through it so maybe that's why he was slow. The Tennessee game was late October.

Also, he did not participate in the Senior Bowl because he said he wanted to focus on the combine. I don't know, it kind of makes me suspect that he doesn't love football.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't care if he's from bugtussle community college. That makes no difference. Just because he played at bama doesn't make him great. That seems to be a given every year. I don't agree that he is the best we could get. I don't think he's a pick 28 talent. We don't have 3years to wait on a LB like we did with timmons. :cool:

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Evans ,Harrison, Payne I hope we vetted all of these guys.