1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers brass on hand at Bama pro day

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Mar 7, 2018.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Colbert and Tomlin both present.

Evans, Harrison and the 3 CBs were probably monitored closely.

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I will bet a certain dt was too

3. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh I'm sure they were watching Payne. I seem to like him more than most. He was dominant in the National Championship Game.

Does he fall to #28? I would be shocked if he did.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If Payne falls that far, I still do not think Pittsburgh nabs him. Javon Hargrave is already there and I am not too certain there is room for another interior lineman.

As for the others, RaShaan and Ronnie electing to not running the 40 again has me worried; RaShaan especially. Performing position based drills but not running the 40?

:hmm: Hmm....

Something is amiss here.

Heard that both Tomlin and Colbert both chatted quite a bit to Minkah Fitzpatrick. As much as I liked him pre-combine, post combine is a different story though. Justin Reid has now piqued my interest and if Esch is gone, Pittsburgh should stand pat and nab him. Even so, possibly trading up to acquire him would be interesting.

5. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt it. I wish he would.

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Did Evans really not run the 40? I find info from thr Bama pro day very hard to find.

I did hear Evans give an interview with a local radio show just from this morning and he said he would run the 40.

I wonder what happened.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't, we don't need a DL in the first round. They need 2 ILB and 2 Safeties, also a OLB.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    tony brown is a guy that may need a look as well. i was watching some game film on draft breakdown of him against clemson from last years NCG and happened to zero in on evans moreso in that game film and i still stand by my thoughts on evans. over hyped. takes bad angles a lot. not a fan of him in the 1st at all. fittz or harrison i could live with. i still like edmonds game, size and speed better. :cool:

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  10. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    He would immediately fix the run d i can promise u that. Frazier would to and he can be got later

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Payne won't be there at #28, sorry dude but the Steelers aren't going to draft all Alabama players :shrug:.

12. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Never said that. I said i doubt he is there. The steelers never draft alabama plyers

13. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Brown has a nickname. Burnt toast. He is fast but doesnt translate to the actual game. He is horrible

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I was just messing with you because you talk up the Bama players a lot as a fan.

15. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I am guilty of that. I do think they have 4 kids that are cant miss guys this year though. They have very high football iq's and athletic ability to go with it. Ridley, harrison, payne, and fitz

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd move brown to safety. H e got a bad rap for guys getting in his way on pick plays a lot. His own guys. The kid CAN tackle. He can also fly to the ball. He never should have been playing the slot receiver near that much. He should be back there with the play in front of him. I'd bet you would see a whole different player. First glances by fans are not always as they appear. :cool:

17. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011

He can tackle sure. But trust me, he misses alot. Loves to hit but doesnt wrap up. Sorry, but the kid cant cover. Go back to his jr year and see if you can find where he started 2 games at corner and got benched. He also has had some off the field issues.

I have watched him every week. He will be a special teams player at best

18. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Brown is the best athlete of the 3 bama CBs but I like Averett and Wallace more. Wallace is high on my list. Battle tested this year.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Seems we did meet with brown. Also Fitzpatrick, harrison, Frazier, Payne, Evans, and their backup center.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I can't believe Evans didn't run. I can't believe coaches are gonna let him get away with that. I have to believe he's going to be asked to run several times at private workouts.

He's trying to hide the truth, man!:roflmao:

21. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Watch the tape of Rashaan Evans in Alabama vs Tennessee. Evans plays slow and misses tackles on WR's and RB's. He makes one good play where he rushes up the middle and takes down an RB for a loss. Then, some time later, he rushes the QB and gets there and completely whiffs on the tackle. The next play he gets to the QB along with another defensive player. A few plays later he decks a QB. Then some time later he rushes clean through the middle untouched and lays out the QB.

I think he's a 4.85 guy but it's hard to tell because he never seems to run full speed.

Sometimes he plays ILB, sometimes edge rusher, and sometimes he's covering guys but it looks like he only likes to rush the QB and gives minimal effort to anything else. Those wide open holes in the line aren't going to be there in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I disagree on critiques of Evans. I'm sure he has a few bad plays on tape but I watched full game tapes of 2016 vs Clemson, 2017 vs LSU, vs Miss St, Auburn, Clemson and Georgia.

That's 6 games, some of them on the biggest stage possible.

I counted less than 5 "mistakes".

He is athletic. No way he runs 4.85. I would say more like 4.6.

I'm not saying he's going to be a pro bowler but he will have a long career in the NFL. I've seen the comparison to Lawrence Timmons and I think that is a good one.

He can play ILB and can rush from the outside too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    U need to watch alittle more. Kid can play. Better than hightower imo

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Watch the Tony brown film of the Clemson 2016 game but instead of brown watch Evans. Heck I saw 5 mistakes in the first half of that film and a guy that seems to lack ball awareness. Bad angles for sure. His best year he averaged 6tackles a game. His next best year he averaged 3tackles a game. Sorry I completely disagree with you guys about the quality of Evans over many others in this draft. Definitely not a top draft pick worthy player. :cool:

25. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Okay, I'll break down the Tennessee tape on Rashaan Evans:

1st play Rashaan is RILB and moves up to assist but QB is stopped by the D-line.

2nd play Rashaan is RILB, moves up to the line, QB throws it to WR.

3rd play, QB throws it to right sideline.

4th play, Rashaan is left edge rushing, doesn't get to QB before QB throws it to TE.

Now, so far, he hasn't done anything wrong.

5th play, Rashaan is LILB, throw is a quick pass to WR who is running to right side, Rashaan gives pursuit, gets there, gets a stiff arm and misses the tackle. Wah wah.

6th play, Rashaan is RILB, handoff to RB up the middle, Rashaan rushes, line blocks right and opens a hole, Rashaan misses the tackle. Wah wah.

7th play, Rashaan is LILB, other players get pressure on QB who tries to run up the middle, Rashaan gets there late but is the third guy in on the tackle.

8th play, Rashaan is RILB, handoff to RB, Rashaan rushes up middle and gets stopped, he bounces off and goes around the lineman and tackles the RB for a half yard loss. Good play for Rashaan.

9th play, Rashaan is ROLB, QB runs to the right so Rashaan is out of the play.

10th play, Rashaan is ROLB, RB gets ball and runs to LT and LG gap but is stopped, Rashaan is out of the play.

11th play, Rashaan is LILB, pass is to WR on right side but WR is stopped by CB, Rashaan is out of the play.

12th play, Rashaan is LILB, trying to mirror QB, QB runs and Rashaan makes the tackle after QB picks up 5 yards.

13th play, Rashaan is LILB, play is RB up the middle, Rashaan is lost in the wash.

14th play, Rashaan is RILB, play is RB to left, Rashaan runs towards him but takes a very bad angle and allows RB to get outside where another Alabama player makes the tackle. Wah Wah.

15th play, Rashaan is LOLB, rushes the QB and is completely unblocked, almost gets there but QB is sacked by other Alabama players before Rashaan gets there because Rashaan is not running at full speed, or he is a 5.50 guy. Wah wah.

16th play, Rashaan is LOLB, play is RB up the middle, Rashaan is out of the play as other Alabama players make the stop.

17th play, Rashaan is LOLB, rushes the QB, makes a spin move on the RT and he gets a clean shot on QB for a sack but he whiffs on the tackle and the QB gets away. Wah wah.

18th play, Rashaan is LILB, mirrors the QB, rushes around the open left side but other Alabama players tackle the QB.

19th play, Rashaan is ROLB, covers a TE while the QB is sacked.

20th play, Rashaan is LILB, covers a TE while RB gets the ball and runs right by Rashaan who is too focused on the TE and not anyone else. I'll give him half a wah wah.

21st play, Rashaan is RILB, play is pass to WR on left sideline, Rashaan is out of the play.

22nd play, Rashaan is in coverage, three steps behind the TE, and out of the play as the QB is sacked.

23rd play, Rashaan is LOLB, rushes and gets stopped but QB runs out to his right side so Rashaan pursues, QB stops to throw as Rashaan lays him out. Good play but if the QB would have kept running instead of stopping to throw it Rashaan would not have caught him.

24th play, Rashaan is ROLB, rushes but RB goes to the right side so Rashaan is out of the play.

25th play, Rashaan is LILB, other Alabama players sack the QB so Rashaan is out of the play.

26th play, Rashaan is LOLB, play is RB up the middle so Rashaan is out of the play.

27th play, Rashaan is RILB, play is RB around the LT but Rashaan ran to the left to cover a WR so he is completely out of position, if he stayed put he would have been in the play. Wah wah.

28th play, Rashaan is RILB, rushes as the RB gets the ball but Rashaan is stuck in the wash while RB is taken down by D-line.

29th play, Rashaan is RILB, rushes through the middle of the line, is completely unblocked, and sacks the QB. Good play.

30th play, Rashaan is RILB, RB rushes through middle of line, Rashaan is out of the play.

31st play, Rashaan is covering, out of the play.

32nd play, Rashaan is LOLB, rushes, gets chipped by the RB, Rashaan keeps going to QB who throws a screen pass to the RB so Rashaan is out of the play. Kind of a wah wah.

33rd play, Rashaan is ROLB, rushes, does a spin move, gets pressure on QB but QB gets rid of the ball and throws an interception. I will give Rashaan some credit for this but he was coming from the QB's blind side so the QB didn't see him coming, the int is on the QB.

So, all in all, he can make some plays when he is unblocked but that's going to be rare in the NFL. As for coverage, forget about it, he is three steps behind TE's. His pass rush spin move is nice but that's the only trick he has for beating an O-lineman.

If you credit him for sacks and TFL's when he's unblocked, that's not really talent. Even the worst ILB in this draft can get a sack or TFL when he's unblocked. I just don't see anything special in Rashaan's play other than the ability to play ILB and edge. Was he playing injured? If not, I don't see how he can cover anyone, he can't stay with a 4.85 TE.

Vince Williams can play too. And so can Sean Spence, and Matakevich.