1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers biggest rivals

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Go 'lers, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    How would you rate our biggest rivals based on competition/most hatred for? This is how they go for me...

1. Baltimore Ravens: Obvious

2. New England Patriots: Brady has been our second biggest stumbling block as of late, our dysfunction has the the biggest.

3. Cleveland Browns: Sure they've been terrible since returning to the league but recent trends have our most historic rival climbing the rankings

4. Cincinnati Bengals: Ben and company have an underlying respect for the Ravens but utter contempt for the Bengals (see 2015 wildcard game, anything Vontaze Burfict does)

5. Oakland Raiders: Hard-hitting history and for some inexplicable reason our inability to win in Oakland, the Antonio Brown trade continues to feed into the dislike.

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    It is always evolving. As a kid in the 60's it was the Browns with Jim Brown. They smoked us. Then it became the Raiders of the 70's even though we had the upper hand. Now I hate the Patriots with a passion.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Currently the Ravens for me. I have nothing but respect for them. smashmouth games are usually on the menu.

That being said, should the Chargers be our annual AFC West foe, expect that to change. I can easily see a rivalry brewing within the next couple of years.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ravens
    Browns
    Pats
    Bengals
    Cowboys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Rats for sue
    Bungles as they play inspired against us
    Cheats not really a rival as there has to be some parity with a rival and we vary rarely beat them
    Stains not really for the same reason as the Cheats in reverse
    Girls used to be but not really anymore but I still am a fan of whoever they play against
    Chuckie's team not really a rival but they always seem to beat us due to our piss poor coaching

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Themselves.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought you were going to say it is the coaches. You disappointed me!

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

That's part of themselves.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Rivals... hmm based on how often they play...

Ravens/Bengals/Browns = all lumped in 1
    Patriots
    Raiders
    Cowboys

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think the Ravens. The 2005-2014 years of the Steelers- Ravens rivalry was nothing short of Epic.

So many big names both sides of the ball, many future hall of famers. It was down right war. We were so lucky to witness it. It's lost it's allure a bit.

Browns is going to comeback and be very heated rivalry. It's been so lop sided since 1999, but you can see the changes. Browns weren't even an easy out, even when they were bad. They would play us hard. But, it's going to have a lot of allure this season with all the moves the Browns have made.

Bengals, is usually nasty etc. I think it changes since Marvin Lewis is no longer there.

Patriots for the all reasons that have been beat to death for 4 years on this message board.

Raiders too.

In the NFC Steelers Cowboys is a huge one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For me:

Ravens
    Bengals
    Browns

Cowboys and Raiders seem like ancient history now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    1. Ravens for me
    2. Brownies. Grew up outside of Cleveland so its always a rivalry for me irregardless of record.
    3. Cheatriots. Just because I hate them so much
    4. Philly. In state rival and it seems lately they have our number. I've always hated Philly too for some reason. Edit - just looked it up we have won 3 out of 8 since the 90s.
    5. Jax and Cincy tied for 5th I guess. Cincy obviously but the Jax rivalry seems to be intensifying. We'll see if it continues that way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    To the OP, you said "2. New England Patriots: Brady has been our second biggest stumbling block as of late...". I believe near dominance for 16 years qualifies as perennial vs "as of late". And as far as the definition of "rival", I believe it should include teams that we desperately want to beat anytime we face them vs ones who we play close, back and forth, splitting wins/losses, say like the Ravens.

Also can't ignore Carolina. After all Steelers play them every single year (in pre-season). :rolleyes:

14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not really see a 'rivalry' being able to exist outside of your conference. Yes there is a history with Dallas, but that was centuries ago. You only play an NFC team every 4 years, rosters change so quickly, really hard to muster any real rival emotion. I think most divisions have natural rivalries. I think the AFC and NFC North would claim the most intense and historic among their respective teams, NFC East is right there as well.

For the Steelers I think the Ravens are the biggest simply because they used to be the Brown's. While there have been some blowouts over the years (on either side), most are just intense old fashion kick ass football.

15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    This is the Ravens and this not even close

The Browns need to prove that on the field to see if they will deliver their hype.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  17. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  18. mark

mark Member

Feb 22, 2018
    it is definitely the Browns. They owned us in the 50 and 60"s and we owned them since. I'm scared of Mayfield. He is the real deal.

Ravens
    Bengals
    Browns

Cowboys and Raiders seem like ancient history now.[/QUOTE]

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think Ravens is as big a rivalry right now without Ray Ray or Suggs. Or Bengals because they are terrible.

Browns looks like it might be a fun Rivalry the next few years.

I hate the Patriots, but we aren't beating them enough the make it a rivalry.

Oddly enough the Raiders is still high on my list, because they have AB and we always seem to lose to them when we go out west. That was a bad loss last time we were out there.

I'm looking forward to Jets game against LevBell.

20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rivalries are two teams that are evenly matched.

Ravens are the Steelers biggest rival by far. We usually split with the Ravens, more often than not. Steelers own the Browns and Steelers are owned by the Patriots... those matchups are not really rivalries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Years ago the Steelers had beaten the Browns something like 12 times in a row. After one of the games a reporter asked a Browns defensive back what he thought of the Browns Steelers rivalry. The guy went ballistic screaming that it’s not a rivalry until we actually beat them sometime.

:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    1. Ravens (the old Browns organization, always been a big rivalry)

2. Raiders (bad blood for decades)

3. Bengals (divisional foe for decades)

4. New Browns (should be the Oilers but they are failing in Tennessee)

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    to be fair they own everyone so they dont count lol

• Agree Agree x 1