1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Better Find A Running Game SomeWhere!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Marko, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Marko

Marko Member

Sep 6, 2018
    In football, you need to have a running game, no matter who you have at quarterback. Just 19 yards rushing for the Steelers for the entire game is unacceptable. As matter of fact It’s ridiculous! James Conner is just not cutting it. I don't know why the Steelers stick with him. Conner has Jaylen Samuels, and Stevan Ridley behind him, but we never see them! Surely, one, or both of them could put up more than 19 yards for the entire game. James Conner's longest run was only 4 yards. And, what about the fullback, Roosevelt Nix? He is another big guy that can run with the football. We never see him either. I don't understand why Mr. Fichtner chooses to keep James Conner in their when he is only getting 2 or 3 yards per carry. Ben Roethlisberger is not getting any younger. You can not expect him to carry the team, with big plays the entire game. It is just bad football. I don’t know what else to say about it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  2. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I agree Ridley should get some playing time. Conner seems like a great guy, and he's made some plays this year, but he's simply not an every down back in the NFL

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why wasn't Ridley even in there?

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Better find a running game?

How about finding some running lanes? For that matter, how about better execution within the run blocking assignments?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Connor isn't very good. Most scouts profiled him as a role player because that's what he is. He's not a true starting RB. He is good at one thing and one thing only. Connor makes our Oline look worse than it is and Bell made it look better than it was. That's the nature of star players, they help carry their teammates.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Our running game is on a Jet Ski somewhere in Miami?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    History says in this series traditional running isn’t gonna work.
    So you get a little more creative with the runs.
    That one handoff to Switzer was nice.
    Wanted more.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Shaner I think you will find that they really did not try to run the ball at all this game. I missed a bit in the second but I don't think we saw Foster or Decastro pull. There were zero Dbl TE sets, little to no Nix and as much as the chemistry of Switzer and Ben was working the gadgets plays were worthless. You want to trash Conner and call for Bell that's your call. I'll wait until they actually try to run before I scrap them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

not our running game,, he's not on the team.. As a matter of fact i hope he traded before the morning comes .. I'm tired of hearing abt him

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Too much blame put on Conner and too much benefit given to Bell. I don't think Bell would be doing any better. Part of the problem that I think is being overlooked is that we pose no deep threat in the passing game. Sure, we've got receivers who can do it, but we have a QB who can't anymore. Plus we run those damn quick outs to WRs. Defenses can just keep guys closer to the line. IF we could just start hitting those deep throws I think you'd see the running game open up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Here running game! Here boy! Where you at running game?

12. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We have to run the ball more than 9 times the entire game. Last week we ran it only 18 times with a 20 point lead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Conner isn't a #1 RB, but he's the best they have right now.

14. Rawsteel73

Rawsteel73 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    dont u get the fact for three outta four games we have had to come back and with a D that cant get off the field run game? ben is sucking right now barry sanders couldnt help us

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Part of the problem is Roethlisberger has been off on the deep ball so far this season. Hell, he was off on everything in the second half last night.

That said, I heard the theory earlier that the loss of Bell was hurting the passing game and I really saw it last night. Defenses are not respecting Conner. It's much easier to throw two or three guys at Brown and take away the deep ball when you don't have Bell making them pay for it. The Steelers did try to run early last night, but Conner was always a step slow even when he did have an opening. Bell makes those plays. He made them when he took over the first meeting with the Ravens last season.

Not only would Bell be doing better, the entire offense would be better. Not that it matters because even if Bell does return at some point, it's going to be too late to salvage this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    47 pass attempts, 10 rushes.... not exactly a balanced approach. Let that sink in.... Conner basically got 2 touches each quarter.... that’s not how RB’s get going. This loss is on the OC and offensive players, they had every opportunity to take control of this game in the 2nd half but came out like a lamb.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Walter Payton couldn't run with that type of blocking. OL was beat last night by the Ravens.

For the Steelers to be successful this season, Ben and OL have to be on every week.

And the defense, well everybody needs to be on the same page,ATTACK and if we lose

atleast we know we have played aggressively.

18. Marko

Marko Member

Sep 6, 2018
    The Steelers may already have their next starting running back on the bench. They might have another Vince McDonald just waiting to get some playing time. When what you are doing doesn't work, you need to try other things. If they don't have a back that can do the job, then they need to try and pick somebody up. The NFL is about winning as much as you possibly can. Every game counts. The coaches need to make adjustments, or get out.