1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers, Ben Roethlisberger finalize three-year deal, per sources

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Apr 24, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what the heck does Eli have to do with anything? Tom Brady is still winning super bowls, Ben led the league in passing yards, rivers took his team to the playoffs. :cool:

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As long as it doesn't handcuff the organization going forward. (Salary Cap Issues)
    If Fichtner has any balls which I don't think he does. he would/should be
    finding out getting the other qb's some real time practice /game experience to see if we have anything to work with.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Franchise QBs who are no longer on their rookie contracts are expensive. That’s just the way it is in today’s NFL. Even unproven guys like Garappalo and Cousins get big $$$ if there’s a chance that they’ll be special. Ben already IS special. If it were a simple matter of plugging in a younger, cheaper guy, everyone would be doing it and the veterans would no longer be expensive. Ben got a contract at his market value. I don’t like what it does to our cap situation, but it’s a hell of a lot better than trying a revolving door at QB while we try to find our next guy.

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

that wou!d be more of a head coaches call then the o-co. That's like pulling Joe haden out of a game to see if Brian Allen can play corner. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Exactly! And I believe Ben is still capable of being even better if there is a "team" around him instead of a circus.

I am beginning to believe you ride your elite QB until he fails and then go do "whatever" it takes to get your next elite QB. Despite the good indications on Rudolf, it just seems that you can't "produce" an elite QB anymore, you have to buy one.

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I know guys play and succeed at 40 these days, but I doubt Ben can be one of them. He has been beat up and relies too much on physical skills. I could be wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it.

This will be unpopular, so flame away, but I think we're already seeing Ben in decline. But it's hidden by two factors:

1) his high number of throws make his total yds and TDs look great, but he getting those numbers by throwing 100 more passes than most of the league.
    2) QB numbers all around the league have gone up in the last 10 yrs while Ben's really haven't. Ben's first two years his QB rating was 98, the league average was 82. Last year his QB rating was 96, but the league average was 92. You can look at his overall numbers and say "See, Ben hasn't lost a thing", but the rest of the league has gained on him.

Ben is still a very good QB, he's still good enough to win a title. The Steelers had no choice but to resign him, but I don't think he has 3 seasons left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Eli has a lot to do with it Ben and Eli are about the same age. Your body can break down
    at any moment and your on the hook for a poor contract. TB has never been subject to the
    poundings #7 has most of his career. We shall see, all I hope is the Steelers don't set their team/franchise
    back with an unbearable contract.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    rivers has. Even brees is playing at a playoff level. All these guys have many miles on them. Ben the last five years has a lot less hits on him then early in his career. Eli is getting them on an old body now. There makes a big difference. Ben has finally started taking better care of his old body. We have a good team around him right now, not the time to start over yet. That will happen soon enough.:cool:

• Like Like x 1