1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers at Panthers Official GDT

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Quadrupleyoi, Aug 27, 2021.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Generally I agree, but usually our yearly preseason contests against Carolina are more competitive than that even when Cam was at his peak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This sums up the game pretty well to me.

I think the guys fighting for roster spots were trying a little too hard in some cases and overthinking (Sexton, Harvin III in particular). Ball security was awful as a result.

We looked very vanilla throughout.

Glad I watched it in 40 rather than the full game.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Pitiful display of football last night by our Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Cutting down to 53 should be easy after this display

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Watched the game at 5 this morning due to airing at 11:30 last night.

Pitiful, but hey, its a lot of players that won't be here in a few days.

Haskins: Was that a joke? His performance was awful.

Benny Snell Football: Struggled. Might be a cut.

Chris Wormley: Stood out solid. Going to need his efforts because no one knows what's really going on with Tuitt.

Sexton: Come on dude! Practice squad possibly.

It was a yawner. Shuffle off to Buffalo...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    From what I watched some guys stood out and made solid cases, a lot didn't.

THE GOOD OF THE GAME:

James Pierre, can be a starter in the NFL. Period. Been telling everybody this since end of last year.
    He's big he can cover, he can tackle. He's got the tools to be a great one. I would have no fear him starting over Cam Sutton

Buggs. Carlos Davis was really pushing hard, but Buggs made a really good case to try to make the roster.

Loudermilk, he had some really good pressure and was making plays in the backfield.

Jamir Jones, some way some how this guy has to make a roster spot for this team, I think with a little more coaching he can be a every down player in the NFL.

Kevin Dotson, if he's not in shape, your on special kind of medication, if Tomlin is mad at him, so what, which I think is just a ploy to get Dotson better and play on a higher level. It doesn't take much too see of the starting 5 O-Line guys, to see Kevin Dotson is the best.

Guys that really played awful:

Haskins it wasn't pretty, but he didn't get much help in other areas, I don't think it was bad enough for him to not make the 53 man.

Benny Snell, sure Benny had one good run, but I didn't see enough of it to just justify a spot on the team. He may not be totally healthy and this could work against his shot on the Steelers.

Matthew Sexton, man I was pulling hard for you Matthew Sexton, but I don't think I have ever seen a guy lose it so easily in one bad game.
    Fumbled the punt return, inside the 10, didn't fair catch and let one roll to the 1 yard line. Brutal. Maybe practice squad if he's lucky.

Chuks: Chuks is really worrying me. I don't think he is going to retain his LT job and your going to see Dan Moore Jr there sooner than later. Chuks better get his head of his butt. If Banner struggles, you could move Chuks back to RT and put Dan Moore in at LT.

Presley Harvin: He didn't punt awful, but neither did Berry. The messing up of the hold for the PAT doesn't help his chances. I think its a 50/50 shot with either Berry or Harvin at this point. Which is crazy because after the HOF game thought Berry should get his bags packed and head back to the land down under.

Derek Watt: Seriously brother your the 2nd highest paid FB in the league. Haskins made a poor throw, but don't volleyball set the ball up in the air for the defense, if it thrown that badly behind you. Still waiting to see Derek make a solid play for this franchise.

Spillane: If this guy is ever going to be in a game, watch any O-Coordinator run pick plays at the safety and try to get any WR match up with this guy. How on earth he ever INT'D Lamar Jackson and ran it back for a TD. I will never know. If Bush or Schobert go down, please bring in Buddy Johnson.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Agreed, but it's with a scrunched up face and head cocked to the side. It's hard to say I like either one in any context. If Ben's season-long availabilty wasn't already so tenuous, it would be easy to like one over the other. I wouldn't be thinking of either of them in the context of having to actually win games for us. The backups in Tampa, whomever they may be, don't give fans agida because they aren't worried about Brady going down like we are about Ben.

I look at our backup QB(s) as active participants and the difference between W's and L's in at least 3 games this season. That's enough to leave the playoffs hanging in the balance.

So while I like Haskins over Rudolph. I like neither.

8. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I clicked agree and then immediately thought uhm, no.

I think this game makes it even harder to get down to 53. There might have been a short list of bubble players and definite cuts before the game. That list doubled in size.

Before the game: who do we cut?
    After the game: who don't we cut?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    One thing I learned from last night's game.

Sam Darnold is never going to be more than a career backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Haskins doesn't throw the ball down the field, that's Mason's strong suit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Those guys usually have career games against Steelers Hahahahahahaha!

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The game day thread is only 11 pages long. That in itself shows how boring the game was.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Sutton might move to slot CB, since no one else has done anything to win the job, and Pierre would start alongside Haden.

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    After last night ... I just knew that we would go after minshew

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    They like doing it in the Playoffs:(

16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This pre season has shown me that if Ben goes down and out it will be next to impossible to make Playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Sign him!!!

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    3. Or TE, or RBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Good point. :drinks:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If Watt doesn't Volleyball that pass it hits the Defenders right in the face. Bad pass. I watched the game twice. Only one time In the game did Haskins look at anyone but the guy he threw it 2.

21. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Ben or bust.

• Like Like x 1
  22. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't see any reason to put Haskins over Rudolph based on their performances in the preseason games. All Haskins did was check down. Anyone can do that, including Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Steelers more boring than the Panthers, it was bad.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I don't see any reason to have Rudolph, Haskins, or Dobbs activated on game days. We might as well play 10 on 11 if Ben goes down. Randel-El was a better backup.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1