1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers (and rest of NFL) may have new "on-side" kick option next year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Nov 22, 2019.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Because of the revised NFL kickoff alignment rules, any chance of a successful onside kick has essentially been eliminated. The NFL Rules Committee is considering an in-lieu option where (only in the 4th Qtr) a team that just scored in any manner could opt to place the ball on their own 35 yd line with a 4th down and have one chance to make a 15 yd+ 1st down. All offense and defense penalty rules would apply. If the team doesn't make a 1st down, the opponent gets the ball at the resulting line of scrimmage, wherever that might be. I suppose if the defense gets a turnover and scores, it would count as a regular TD. Sounds interesting and could shake things up a bit like the 2 pt conversion did. Best strategy might be for the offense to do everything possible to draw an automatic 1st down penalty which would then give the O a fresh set of 4 downs to advance.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...side-kick-idea-that-was-originally-shot-down/

Edit: Please forgive me, I'm just the messenger. :lolol:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Every team that scored in the 4th quarter against the Steelers will try this. The Steelers defense is notoriously bad at stopping 3rd or in this case 4th and 15.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Why?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That sounds like a terrible idea. It feels artificial and the odds of making 15 yards on one down are a hell of a lot higher than an on-side kick, even with the old rules.

If they are going to insist on that kind of crap, at least make it 20 yards or 25.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hmmmm not sure I agree with that but I sure sure don't like the rule now which makes it near impossible. Funny the closest I've seen one work was the one we almost blew.

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    NFL is too offense oriented already imo. Your defense just got scored on & will have to take the field again? Just get them gassed & keep taking it on the 35, no pass rush anymore.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is dummer than a shoot out in hockey.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The AAF had s similar rule when they were in business. Not sure if it as ever used. 4th and 12 from your own 28, but only used in last 5 mins of game, or if behind by 17 or more points. I guess to really get an accurate measurement one would need to compare the % of success of the current on side rule, vs a league wide conversion rate of 3rd or 4th and 15. Even that would be somewhat misleading, but would give some indicator of success vs. failure in the 2 systems. For instance if a team suspects an on side kick the % goes down vs. a surprise try (the Steelers opening the 2nd half in that super bowl).

IDK, from the 35 you essentially only need 30 yards to get in FG range, needs to be further back IMO.

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Didn't read the link. The NFL needs to worry about many other things first though. Refereeing should be at the top of that list.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    This league is becoming more of a joke every year. Maybe they should add something if a team wants 1 point the quarterback can throw the ball through the uprights.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Or let the coach wager points like on final jeopardy. They can say, I'll take the 4th and 15 and if we score a TD, we get 12 points. Then if they dont get it, they lose points. Yeah, this whole thing sounds ridonkulous.

• Like Like x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    46 points for 4th & 24 Alex. :roflmao: Let them carry a negative score as well.

14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    That would hurt the Steelers because Mason would see the goal post open too late and throw it behind it. OK, I shouldn't be piling on him after a bad game. Hopefully he rebounds this week and has a solid game.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  16. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I said the same thing when I was reading about this the other day. Maybe I watch the Steelers defense too much, but 4th and 15 doesn't seem as insurmountable as an onside kick. I think 20 yards would be better. Also, as someone else mentioned, start the play on the 20, not the 35.

17. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    As long as the uprights aren't moving, MR will be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    The onside kick is available all game. The alternative should be available all game as well. But like has already been said, the odds are not in your favor for the current version. Converting 4th and 15 is much better odds. There needs to be an equalizer here.

Handicap the offense by limiting formation to shotgun with no side car and no motion. At least then there is no way to pre-read the defense and no delayed draw, jet sweep, or fleaflicker for the D to account for.

And again, if this is adopted at all, it should be allowed all game, not just in the 4th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MackDog21

MackDog21 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2017
    New OT rules coming 2024 for player safety purposes: There will be a coin flip, winner of the coin flip kicks first. No defenders, and kickers take turns kicking field goals from 20 yards out, increasing 5 yards each try. First to make/miss wins. Also, if you have the balls to dare and try it, if the kicker hits the uprights or the crossbar, it is INSTANT SUDDEN DEATH, making you decide... do you try to beam the crossbar from 20 yards out? Or take the easy in between? You can probably still make it inside the upright but get close to it without missing.. DUN DUN DUN

What is happening anymore

Also, can you still traditional onside kick if you want to? A la New Orleans Superbowl halftime surprise? That would be an awful shame to take away from the game. I like what the guy said about the XFL or whatever, only down by 17 or more, or in 4th quarter. And what if you score a touchdown on the play? Could you potentially score 3 tds in a row on 4th and whatever onsides on deep bombs without any time coming off the clock? Or if the try is successful, you get the ball at the 15 yards? Not wherever you get it to?

One more edit: what about defensive penalties? they apply but thats SUCH a cheese way to get the ball.. On a kick, you would redo the play, not just get an "automatic firstdown" .. I heavily disagree with that. The team trying it should BE FORCED to convert it on a play without penalty. If the defense makes penalties over and over, they should be granted the yardage, and forced to convert at least a 4th and 1.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  20. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    That’s a horrible idea. I don’t like that concept even in the slightest.