1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers 2013 Regular Season Record?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by scruffy, Jul 20, 2013.

1. 11-5 or better

39.0%
  2. 10-6

28.6%
  3. 9-7

15.6%
  4. 8-8

10.4%
  5. 7-9 or worse

6.5%
  1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

nice post ,and I agree with most ,there were some positives but the OL still is a work in progress. I know he's great at it but I would like to see less of Ben being Ben and more of him having the time to stand and deliver from the pocket. The OLs inconsistent play is the only reason why this team struggles putting up points. It's one step forward two steps back and that has to change if we are gonna go places. It lies directly on their performance. Run blocking looks decent though.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  3. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Agree completely.

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Unfortunately, common sense tells me at this point that we are no better than we were last year based on what I've seen in the preseason, so another .500 season is a distinct possibility. :shrug:

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks. I know I was a little cranky in one of my posts right after the game. I do see some good things from us,there are positives. We need to get this OL right and playing consistent ,mistake and especially penalty free football. If that can happen skies the limit for this O. As I lie my head down to sleep visions of a nasty, well oiled,juggernaut of a OL will fill my head . Good nite Nation.

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah the pass protection was about half and half tonight. There were a couple of times that Ben really got to step up and plant his feet and there were some times that he took some hits near the end of the half especially. Ironically though on our td it was Ben running for his life. Remember that we've still not seen our starting rb for any period of time. If we can establish a good running game that might open up the passing game if they have to respect the run ya know?

7. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I didn't even read the entire post but got half way through it and had to respond.

Steel, this may be the most truth ever spoken on this message board. I hate yet love the generalization that is the NFL and the game of American football as a whole.

Great post.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Will 9-7 make the playoffs? I hope so.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ok so you made your prediction now what? Since we're doomed to an 8-8 season with little or no chance to make the playoffs should we just pack it in now and not play? Are you done watching them?

I'm not asking you to believe we are are better team then what we are. At this point we pretty much have what we have for this season I just don't understand why you feel the need to over and over convince everyone that we have no chance?

10. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I respect your opinion; with our current injury situation and continued sloppy Special Team play, I can't find much fault in your 8-8 prediction. In fact, it may very well end up being my final prediction (my initial prediction was 10-6), which I won't make until just prior to the start of the regular season.

IMO I do think that anyone that criticizes your prediction should at least include their "current prediction" along with their other comments.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I don't know what to think about the 2013 season. Offensively we were better than either of the other preseason games, but we don't look good by any stretch of the imagination. We were marginally better when it came to blocking. They don't get a whole lot of push in the running game and they're very susceptible to blitzing linebackers. On one sack I don't think Pouncey or Foster even saw the linebacker coming. Pouncey with a false start? WTF? Adams was beaten a few times on our first two drives. On one running play he kind of dove at the dl who easily pushed him off and proceeded to make the tackle on Dwyer. I'm pretty sure that was the 3rd and goal play from the first drive. On the TD pass to Dwyer Adams was completely burned. I don't know if he over commits or his reaction time is just that slow. On that blocked punt Adams was knocked out of way leaving a 2 on 1 for Jones. Jones took the outside man leaving the inside man an open route to the ball. It really looked like Adams thought all he had to do was stand there. Outside of being shoved out of the way he basically didn't move.
    Bringing Beachum in at TE was an interesting wrinkle. I'm guessing they're trying to do two things- help the running game and find a way not to carry 4 or 5 tight ends to start the season. Paulson will be fine as a receiving TE, but he's got a long ways to go as an inline blocker.
    Defensively we should be fine. Overall they did a pretty good job. If nothing else at least we didn't see Hood getting run over repeatedly like the game in 2012. Troy was his usual self and made some big plays at the LOS. Although, I'm pretty sure that TD in the first half was at least partially on him. It looked like he was out of position on the play.

12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What a lot of posters are forgetting is: With the offensive line we got ,
    how many games before Ben gets hurt? Do you really think he can go the whole season and continue to take the beating?

8 and 8 because Ben can't last all the pounding he is going to get.

10 and 6 if he stays healthy, but don't think this will happen with this line.

13. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This O line is not as bad as most think. They are young and will gel in time (this season), everyone that watched the game saw they are moving players around to make up for Heath. Gilbert surprises me the most,one would have thought he would be further along that he is this year.

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Glenn, first of all I'm not trying to convince anyone that we have no chance. I'm simply saying that based on the season we just had AND what I've seen thus far in the preseason I'm not optimistic that we've improved over last year when we were a .500 football team. Is that unreasonable??? In fact, if you re-read the post I said that we might finish above .500 and get into the playoffs.

Secondly, I've been a fan since the mid-70s and WATCHED EVERY FREAKING GAME IN THE PATHETIC 80s WHEN THE CLEVELAND BROWNS WERE BEATING US 51-0 ON OPENING DAY SO, NO, I'M NOT DONE WATCHING THEM!!! I've probably been watching the Steelers since before you were born and it is somewhat offensive to me that you implicitly question my fanhood when I give my opinion on our current state of affairs as I see it! If you disagree, fine, I don't have an issue with that. I do, however, have an issue with you essentially saying that I should just shut up and sit down and keep my opinion to myself.

At this point, I don't expect a great deal from this team. I think there are some deficiencies that will preclude us from being as competitive as we need to be. BUT...I do remain hopeful that the greatest franchise in the history of sport can pull it together, coaches and players alike, and deliver number 7! We've done it before and we'll do it again. And you can bet your rear end that I'LL BE WATCHING!

15. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks, scruffy. I appreciate your comments. I don't have a problem with anyone disagreeing with my prediction but I'd appreciate it if they would tell me why they disagree and why I should be more optimistic. I'm willing to listen. It's when my remarks or anyone else's remarks are unfairly dismissed and disparaged with no explanation as to why. I sincerely feel the way I do. I still see a .500 (or barely above/below) football team based on how we've played and coached in the preseason.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Jack, I'm not questioning your fan hood and don't want you to end up mad at me. I have many of the same concerns about the team as you do. I'm going to step back from this debate with you.

17. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It might. The AFC, at least right now- is a weak conference.

I'm still not sure what will happen with the Steelers this year, but I feel fairly confident that New England, Baltimore and Houston are going to be less good than they were last season. Manning could break down and if he does, so do the Broncos.

Which leaves Cincinnati. I know everyone is in love with them right now, but this is not a franchise that's used to winning. Yes, they've had 2 one and done, 6th seeded seasons, but it's still a step up to winning the division. Can they make that step? We will see. Don't discount the Marvin Lewis factor. He is a mediocre head coach and somewhere along the line that will cost them.

I'm going to 2 Steelers games this season, which is a first for me. So, let's hope it is a good one.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I voted 10-6 the defense will create more turnovers this season being optimistic.

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Glenn, I'm not mad, friend. Just a passionate fan like you and a little frustrated with our team. Maybe I misinterpreted what you were saying.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Good enough, now what else can we argue about? Lol!

21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey, I'm sure it's just a matter of time until we think of something! :thumbs_up:

22. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    wow less than 5% got this one correct... wow .. just wow

HINES

23. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    6-10 if ben stays healthy...

HINES

24. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Is it January already?

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually the season is over, we have trophy number 7 in the showcase. Hines was sooooooooooo wrong.